Sagan

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited November 2012 in Pro race
I'm NOT trolling here, genuinely want to understand this

I haven't seen much comment over the last couple of years about Sagan and any suspicions.

Is he definitely clean? He just seems a bit too strong for belief, but without the knowing comments that others doing crazy stuff seem to attract. Is this because he's done it consistently since he broke through and it hasn't been a major step forward?

Comments

• nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    He won the Junior MTB World Champs in 2008. Signed as a pro for Liquigas in 2010 and has done pretty well ever since.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    His numbers were posted up the other day by SRM, he's just strong, they didn't lead me to think night and day, just seems that he is one of the lucky few that has a good sprint but can stick the hills! I'd expect Cav to put down similar numbers if he could get to the finish of one of the stages Sagan could.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    So far he's been really strong on stages that suit him. In the prologue he wasn't going well even before messing up the corner, in the bunch sprints he hasn't looked like competing for wins, and he won't be there in the mountains when they start racing.
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    Time will tell. For me, it just looked a little too easy for him the other day. As he cruised along doing his Forrest Gump impression, EBH looked like he was on the verge of collapsing from his effort to come second. However, it could just be that is is "that good". Assuming he is clean, he has a massive future in the sport and could build up a massive list of victories over the next decade or so.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    ^There's no drug as powerful as winning though...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    Is he definitely clean?

Name me one rider you know is?
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    If he climbs like pantani then the eyebrows will raise......

for the moment I would liken him to a young Boonen/Gilbert and I'm assuming clean; benefit of the doubt and all that
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Cheers, mostly reassuring.
  • nweststeyn
    He probably IS on drugs though...
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    edhornby wrote:
    If he climbs like pantani then the eyebrows will raise......

for the moment I would liken him to a young Boonen/Gilbert and I'm assuming clean; benefit of the doubt and all that

I agree -- he seems almost too goofy to be dirty. He's so strong.

Benefit of the doubt...
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    It's sad that it's the first question that gets asked but understandable. It did look very easy for him but maybe he is that good. Let's hope he's just as strong as he looks.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    nweststeyn wrote:
    So how do you come to this conclusion? Insider knowledge ? He has been strong for a while but LG have looked after him. He is justr strong all round, mot as fast as out and out sprinters but holds his owen but very strong on hard finishes.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    nweststeyn wrote:

You seen him take the stuff then ? I didnt think you had time to post seeing as your a mechanic/doctor/manager with Liquigas...can you let us know what Nibali had for breakfast tomo please.

I take it you think wiggins is at it as well then seeing as he was ONLY a track rider ?
  • cogidubnus
    cogidubnus Posts: 860
    Clean until proven otherwise
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    I read an article on him in one of the monthlies this year and he just loves riding his bike and winning so, you could say his 'drug' is winning, pure and simple.
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • nweststeyn
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    nweststeyn wrote:

You seen him take the stuff then ? I didnt think you had time to post seeing as your a mechanic/doctor/manager with Liquigas...can you let us know what Nibali had for breakfast tomo please.

I take it you think wiggins is at it as well then seeing as he was ONLY a track rider ?

I thought this whole thread was tongue in cheek. I just wrote a post saying he was young and has a proven track record of being a winner since his MTB days as a jnr...

Relax...
  • nweststeyn
    I think I should have put a 'winky face'...
  • natsnoz
    natsnoz Posts: 235
    Sagan has a bell on his bike today! Genius
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,162
    squired wrote:
    Time will tell. For me, it just looked a little too easy for him the other day. As he cruised along doing his Forrest Gump impression, EBH looked like he was on the verge of collapsing from his effort to come second. However, it could just be that is is "that good". Assuming he is clean, he has a massive future in the sport and could build up a massive list of victories over the next decade or so.

EBH had gapped a few moments earlier on his own
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • tremayne
    tremayne Posts: 378
    Note - if anyone has Twitter, 'tweeterSagan' is absolutely compulsive reading.

For those who don't have twitter, TweeterSagan alone is sufficient reason to get it. I jest not!
  • TimB34
    TimB34 Posts: 316
    It's true!! Sagan's bell:

278855-ringeklokke1.JPG

278854-ringeklokke2.JPG

What a sweetheart.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,243
    Video of Sagan pulling a no-hands wheelie up the climb yesterday. Gotta love this guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onamrs8jx2I
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    LOL that is awesome.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Only read the OP.

Sagan, will win the tour at some point in the future, he is a talent.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    No handed wheelie=awesome!!!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,179
    I can't pull a wheelie at all on a road bike so I haven't got a clue how he does that. Still not as impressive as the one on the Angliru though.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Only read the OP.

No he wont he cannot do the long climbs or TT well enough, talented though he is he is always going to be green jersey for grand tours.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    edhornby wrote:

for the moment I would liken him to a young Boonen/Gilbert and I'm assuming clean;
    I cannot see any resemblance there.

I do see a great resemblance to Laurent Jalabert
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Only read the OP.

No he wont he cannot do the long climbs or TT well enough, talented though he is he is always going to be green jersey for grand tours.

He's not bad on the climbs though so it depends if he wants to develop into a GC man or stay a man for the classics
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    DeadCalm wrote:
    Video of Sagan pulling a no-hands wheelie up the climb yesterday. Gotta love this guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onamrs8jx2I

thats some bike skills :shock: