Lets violate the Olympic lanes

Comments

• jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    A contributor to that guardian page comments
    I just called the TfL Games Lanes hotline (0843 222 1234) and was told they are planning to impound bicycles from those unable or unwilling to stump up the £130 fine.

From the article
    The Environmental Transport Association (ETA) has looked into the regulations on the "Games lanes" – the 30 miles of road in central London exclusively reserved for use during the event by the "Games family" of athletes, officials and sponsors – and found that 95% will be off-limits to cyclists.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    rjsterry wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    In short: find another route.

So what's the new embankment going to be? :twisted:

Nine Elms is out as well I think. CS7? It's hectic at the best of times :?

9 Elms is never busy, hoping it stays that way.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    jds_1981 wrote:
    A contributor to that guardian page comments
    I just called the TfL Games Lanes hotline (0843 222 1234) and was told they are planning to impound bicycles from those unable or unwilling to stump up the £130 fine.

]

Borris bike :twisted:
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Its basically going to be chaos! A lot of my commute will be on the ORN and I am not looking forward to it at all, saying that I'll be getting to work for 6 so the morning wont make much difference, but the 2pm commute home will be a nightmare especially with all the "couriers" that seem to stop on my route.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,341
    rjsterry wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    In short: find another route.

So what's the new embankment going to be? :twisted:

Nine Elms is out as well I think. CS7? It's hectic at the best of times :?

9 Elms is never busy, hoping it stays that way.

York Rd, BPR and Nine Elms are all part of the ORN
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    ORN and PRN lanes don't seem to affect my commute or any of my regular rides in London at all.... 8)
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • ToeKnee
    ToeKnee Posts: 376
    "Games Lanes ... 95% will be off-limits to cyclists."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/b ... s-cyclists
    Seneca wrote:
    It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
    Specialized TriCross Sport+Ultegra+Rack&Bag+Guards+Exposure Lights - FCN 7
    Track:Condor 653, MTB:GT Zaskar, Road & TT:Condors.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I'm also suprisingly unaffected by the ORNs.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    How exactly are they going to stop cyclists?
    Physical barriers:
    Bollards?
    bollards_large.jpg
    Railings?
    ?type=articlePortrait
    Cones and tape?
    roadside-stone-wall.jpg
    Crowd barriers?
    whitehall2.gif
    Armco?
    IMG_1766.jpg
    Walls?
    5948062453_be287c9684_z.jpg
    Roaming Technicals?
    usarmysftoyotatruckds.jpg
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Don't joke about it EKE,

These
    gty_london_missiles_kb_120703_wg.jpg
    have already been deployed in Blackheath and Tower Hamlets :shock:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • rick_chasey
    Don't joke about it EKE,

These
    gty_london_missiles_kb_120703_wg.jpg
    have already been deployed in Blackheath and Tower Hamlets :shock:

Had a chat with someone who's job is to know about this kind of thing (but not this specific thing), and he suggested the fact that a) it's been well publicised and we know EXACTLY where they are and b) Cameron himself has to give permission for them to be used, that they're a very public show that the govt is taking the threat of terrorism very seriously, rather than a proper serious line of defence.

If they were, we'd probably not know about them.
  • More to the point, how are TfL going to impound cycles (other than from their hire scheme) anyway? How can they keep track of them once impounded? Do they seriously expect people just to hand their machines over?
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    From the traffic on the embankment this morning and how I actively had to take primary to avoid being squashed I can see a lot of frustrated drivers for a few weeks.

The thick white line looks like it would be very slippy in the wet too
  • bromyG
    bromyG Posts: 59
    +1 - it already feels crowded in places along the Embankment and they haven't closed the Olympic lane to traffic yet!

The thick white lane line and other black patches covering the old road markings seem to be made of a vinyl material and just stuck on - so yes, it could be very slippy in the wet

Red Brompton S6L
  • Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    More to the point, how are TfL going to impound cycles (other than from their hire scheme) anyway? How can they keep track of them once impounded? Do they seriously expect people just to hand their machines over?

As I understand it Non payment of a Fine is a criminal offence.

Punishment for a criminal offense is given by a court.

TFL have no legal right to impound your bike as a punishment whatsoever.

I'm sure someone with more legal knowledge than me will correct this if I'm wrong.
  • Paul E
    bromyG wrote:
    +1 - it already feels crowded in places along the Embankment and they haven't closed the Olympic lane to traffic yet!

The thick white lane line and other black patches covering the old road markings seem to be made of a vinyl material and just stuck on - so yes, it could be very slippy in the wet

I noticed the patches on the run down and up then into the blackfriars underpass, I stayed clear of them anyway.

It's going to be gridlock, it's already close to it and they are taking 50% of the road volume away
  • rick_chasey
    Brakeless wrote:
    More to the point, how are TfL going to impound cycles (other than from their hire scheme) anyway? How can they keep track of them once impounded? Do they seriously expect people just to hand their machines over?

As I understand it Non payment of a Fine is a criminal offence.

Punishment for a criminal offense is given by a court.

TFL have no legal right to impound your bike as a punishment whatsoever.

I'm sure someone with more legal knowledge than me will correct this if I'm wrong.

Judging by what else has happened with the olympics, I'd suggest anything olympic related probably doesn't come under normal law.
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/discussion/comment-permalink/17084429

Quality comment:

"When it comes to the games i think we've been labouring under a misapprehension: We thought we were hosts like the queen is at a posh garden party, when actually we're hosts in the way that John Hurt is in Alien."
  • rjsterry
    Paul E wrote:
    bromyG wrote:

I noticed the patches on the run down and up then into the blackfriars underpass, I stayed clear of them anyway.

It's going to be gridlock, it's already close to it and they are taking 50% of the road volume away

The patches are actually all bumpy for increased... err... grip.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    I guess if the roads are too congested for filtering you could always get off and push your bikes along the route.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Remind me again.
    What is so great about living and working in London?
    Ha ha ha ha .....

Sorry. Bad boy. Slow day at work, network issues so nothing better to do..........
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    edited July 2012

AFAIK, TFL will not be impounding bicycles. The enforcement along the Games Lanes is being handled by CEOs (Civil Enforcement Officers) and they do not have the power to detain transgressors (although I suspect the Met might well be around to back them up, like they do for TFL Revenue Protection types).

If I were overtaking traffic using a Games Lane and a CEO instructed me to stop, I would be minded to cycle past with a cheery wave. If a Met Officer and a CEO pulled me over, I'd comply and plead ignorance. With a bit of luck, I would just be advised against using the Games Lanes in future and not be hit with a £130 PCN.

All that said, I intend to avoid the ORN at all costs...
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    Don't carry ID and just give them a false address

that will be my policy. Fight the Power
    <a>road</a>
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    daviesee wrote:
    Remind me again.
    What is so great about living and working in London?
    Ha ha ha ha .....

Sorry. Bad boy. Slow day at work, network issues so nothing better to do..........

this is my commute.
    3855717459_0d83784cb4_z.jpg

will get busy during TT/road race though I suspect most will not wander far from the route.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386

this is my commute.

will get busy during TT/road race though I suspect most will not wander far from the route.
    Thats not exactly the Embankment but nice of you to play. :wink:
    Networks back up so I don't have much time now anyway.
    Was looking forward to getting paid to watch Le Tour. :cry:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Applespider
    Applespider Posts: 506
    Yes - I saw my first Games lane today in a road that I didn't think had any according to the map I'd seen. Still, it's a nearside Games + buses lane so I will be staying in it!

I'm volunteering at the Games so was pretty gung-ho for it all until today when they changed a rehearsal time for Saturday night. Which is fine except now I can't go to Hard Rock Calling at Hyde Park and see Bruce Springsteen. Grrrr! And not great notice for trying to sell the darned tickets either now!
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    Yes - I saw my first Games lane today in a road that I didn't think had any according to the map I'd seen. Still, it's a nearside Games + buses lane so I will be staying in it!

I'm volunteering at the Games so was pretty gung-ho for it all until today when they changed a rehearsal time for Saturday night. Which is fine except now I can't go to Hard Rock Calling at Hyde Park and see Bruce Springsteen. Grrrr! And not great notice for trying to sell the darned tickets either now!

Nice of you to volunteer for Coca Cola and McDonalds, shame they can't afford to pay people but there you go. I would tell them to stick their rehearsal and go to Springsteen if I were you.
    <a>road</a>
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Dear oh dear. This thread is pulling out the Jeremiahs by the bucketload.

I was at the Olympics two years ago, and spoke beforehand to a number of Vancouverites who were similarly resentful, dismissive and generally a bit whiney. The city did not implode; nor did it grind to a halt, and all those who had not been looking forward to it thoroughly enjoyed it.

Perhaps a dose of "wait and see" is in order.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Paul E
    Greg66 wrote:

I was at the Olympics two years ago, and spoke beforehand to a number of Vancouverites who were similarly resentful, dismissive and generally a bit whiney. The city did not implode; nor did it grind to a halt, and all those who had not been looking forward to it thoroughly enjoyed it.

Vancouver is not London, not by a long shot, they have tried to shoe horn in all the infrastructure into a city that had very little capacity left.
  • rjsterry
    Greg66 wrote:

Quite. Some seem to want it to be a disaster, just so that they can wallow in "I told you so'. As to the use of the lanes, given that we as a group get pretty uppity with non-cyclists abusing cycle lanes and ASLs, is it not a tad hypocritical to thumb our noses at the ORN regulations?
    Pinnacle Monzonite