Lets violate the Olympic lanes

scattered pedals
scattered pedals Posts: 69
edited July 2012 in Commuting chat
Lets all just ignore them - they can't prosecute that number of people

Olympics should be promoting cycling not restricting it!

Comments

• spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709

is this the 2012 equivalent of the 2011 craze of inciting riots via BBM/ Facebook/ Twitter
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • aeon
    aeon Posts: 167
    given the amount of silk in the embankment peloton i rather fancy their/our chances.
    FCN 10 - Crosstrail
  • ok, for the record yer honour, this is a humorous post - im inciting nothing
  • actually though - i wonder what they would do if Critical Mass say decided to go on a trip around them?
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    ok, for the record yer honour, this is a humorous post - im inciting nothing
    Tell that to Paul Chambers :wink:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    actually though - i wonder what they would do if Critical Mass say decided to go on a trip around them?

I suspect it will happen.

I got chatting with a civil servant who works as a government advisor at a party recently and he was absolutely incensed by the special treatment Lord Coe's friends with money are being afforded at the tax payers' expense - the olympic lanes being his prime example. He was saying he sincerely hopes people will block up the lanes in protest.

I'm not a fan of Critical Mass's method of protest, but on this matter I think I could be persuaded to join them.
  • daveski12
    daveski12 Posts: 158
    Can someone please explain the olympic lanes to me?

As I don't live in London / missed it on the news. Thanks.

Edit - googled it. Seems like a great idea! Good luck to you all commuting in London.
  • the lanes are a good idea?
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Before people get their knickers in a twist about this, can I suggest you check the ORN rules:

Q: Can cyclists use the Games Lanes?
    A: The ORN/PRN design allows cyclists to enter the majority of Games Lanes where they are on the nearside, as this is seen as the normal cycling position on the road. Cyclists will not be allowed to enter the offside Games Lanes for safety reasons or to make other movements that would be deemed unsafe.

Seems fair enough, surely most of us ride in the nearside lanes anyway unless we are making a turn?
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Don't have this problem and won't ever have this problem.....

Off to see the rowing though, a Dorney.....may cycle!
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    Before people get their knickers in a twist about this, can I suggest you check the ORN rules:

A: The ORN/PRN design allows cyclists to enter the majority of Games Lanes where they are on the nearside, as this is seen as the normal cycling position on the road. Cyclists will not be allowed to enter the offside Games Lanes for safety reasons or to make other movements that would be deemed unsafe.

Seems fair enough, surely most of us ride in the nearside lanes anyway unless we are making a turn?

But if the left hand lane is clogged up with no room for filtering then an empty games lane might/should be appropriate?

It may be wishful thinking but maybe, just maybe people will take TFL's advice and leave their cars at home (and not divert to south london thus clogging that up).

If...(massive) IF that happens, then maybe it's an argument that goes in our favour - if people don't need to use their cars for this 2 month period then maybe they don't need their cars permanently? Maybe a proper cycle lane can be introduced? Maybe if the tourist coaches that normally clog up the embankment are successfully moved elsewhere during the busiest ever tourist period then maybe they can be permanently moved?

All wishful thinking but there's gotta be a good side :)
  • I foresee the following scenario

Man cycling fast on a bicycle with a rucksack on his back causes security alert and when finally released from questioning by her majesties finest has a stance like John Wayne.

I'll pass if it's all the same to you guys
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,341

But if the left hand lane is clogged up with no room for filtering then an empty games lane might/should be appropriate?

It may be wishful thinking but maybe, just maybe people will take TFL's advice and leave their cars at home (and not divert to south london thus clogging that up).

If...(massive) IF that happens, then maybe it's an argument that goes in our favour - if people don't need to use their cars for this 2 month period then maybe they don't need their cars permanently? Maybe a proper cycle lane can be introduced? Maybe if the tourist coaches that normally clog up the embankment are successfully moved elsewhere during the busiest ever tourist period then maybe they can be permanently moved?

All wishful thinking but there's gotta be a good side :)

When you see the list of people who are likely to be using the Olympic lane, I don't think there is much chance of it being empty. Probably more like a busy non-olympic day.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009

But the majority of them are on the offside, so what's the point. Let's be honest, can you really see all the mopeds and bikers sitting in a non moving queue of traffic when there's all that potential movement just feet away. They'll be chasing cars and vans in the lane, they won't be able to stop everyone else.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    When you say violate - we're not talking drilling holes and getting jiggy are we?

466353-quagmire_large.jpg
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    When you say violate - we're not talking drilling holes and getting jiggy are we?

466353-quagmire_large.jpg

We are - us London commuters are militant anarchist types
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Do the lanes have the olympic rings on them or something? How hard would it be to come along at night and spray the bottom two rings to look like a Mastercard logo? (Answer - very for me as I have no artistic talent).

I can't see the road users of London sitting quietly in/on their vehicles while the occasional VIP breezes past in the olympic lane.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756

F*cking the system, yeah?
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Cops et al are going to have zero sense of humour during this period. Personally I'm just staying the feck out of London until it's all over :-D
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Don't have this problem and won't ever have this problem.....

Off to see the rowing though, a Dorney.....may cycle!

Make sure you use the main entrance to Dorney (i.e. on the roads from Dorney village or Taplow), as they've locked down a couple of miles of the towpath either side.
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    I kind of assumed Critical Mass would be all over them lanes the moment they become active :P
  • Applespider
    Applespider Posts: 506
    Koncordski wrote:
    Let's be honest, can you really see all the mopeds and bikers sitting in a non moving queue of traffic when there's all that potential movement just feet away. They'll be chasing cars and vans in the lane, they won't be able to stop everyone else.

Well, they're apparently using their congestion charge-esque licence plate recognition to identify encroachers and send them £130 fines. Bikes and mopeds have plates... bikes don't. :lol: Unless you get spotted by a copper or CSO actually policing it... but they have to catch you to give you the fine.

Then again, I have Games accreditation so I wonder if I could just carry that and if pulled over, say that I'm part of the Games Family on my way to rehearsals? :wink:
  • paulsw88
    paulsw88 Posts: 3
    Just been on to the phone to TFL cycling in the Games Lanes will result in a fixed penalty fine of £130 and your bike will be impounded
    Cyclists

Cyclists will be able to use the ORN and PRN; however, they will be prohibited from using Games Lanes. As 95% of the Games Lanes are offside, and will be busy with Games Family traffic, they are unlikely to be the preferred position for cyclists.
    Basso Astra for the weekend
    Specialized Allez for the commute
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Still got to catch you though, and there's a difference between riding in the lane and filtering past traffic.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • paulsw88
    From what I got from the phone call cyclists are expected to be ok with just sitting in the traffic or filtering down the inside, you might to able to cycle away but I reckon there will be loads of bored police just waiting to fine someone
  • paulsw88
    Guardian bike blog has done a bit on this:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/b ... sfeed=true
  • rjsterry
    In short: find another route.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    rjsterry wrote:

So what's the new embankment going to be? :twisted:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry wrote:

Nine Elms is out as well I think. CS7? It's hectic at the best of times :?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    rjsterry wrote:

south london - utterly f**king gridlocked just like the embankment...

NO!! it wont be so bad...it wont...it wont... :(