Cycling vs motorcycling

2»

Comments

• Medders
    Medders Posts: 152
    alansd1980 wrote:
    I am in a really similar situation.

I come in from Banstead which is only a couple of miles from Ashtead/Epsom. A couple of days a week I use a 125cc scooter to get into Russell Square and the other days I cycle. I would use the trains but connections from here are terrible. If I had an option I would avoid the Motorbike option as by the time you pay for the bike, CBT,insurance servicing and petrol it's certainly a lot more expensive than the train. The other thing is that its a lot easier to cop out of riding when you oversleep a bit and just jump on the bike. When you need to drag yourself to the train station cycling becomes a better option.

I looked into doing the Direct Access Scheme which would let you ride a proper bike straight away and its in the region of 800quid these days. There are pretty good links from where you are looking to move to so I would just enjoy a day or two rest during the week.

That is really helpful. What route do you take on your ride from Banstead?

The trouble with mixing up train and riding is that if I were getting the train 2/3 days a week there be little or no financial benefit as what I would be paying would not be far short of the full 5 days with a season ticket discount. Maybe a 125 scooter is the least worst option and use that when working long hours and cycle when I go through quieter periods. Being able to avoid the cr*ppiness and the relentless expense of the train is paramount.

Riding:
    Canyon Nerve AL9.9 2014
    Honda CBR600f 2013
    Condor Fratello 2010
    Cervelo RS 2009
    Specialized Rockhopper Pro 2008
  • aeon
    aeon Posts: 167
    have you considered riding quicker? ;)

jokes - but maybe it is worth trying the 22 miler for a week or two before jumping into motorbiking. not sure which direction you currently ride, but the step up from 15 to 22 miles happens to be the equivalent of a lap of Richmond Park. so you could test it out for a few runs and see how it feels...

and what with all the Ducati love in this thread, i want to say that i rode past a black Diavel the other week and it was frikkin' gorgeous. i always thought they looked a bit strange in the pictures, but on the road that thing was immense. pure, evil, unadulterated filth on wheels.
    FCN 10 - Crosstrail
  • u33db
    u33db Posts: 68
    Another vote for an automatic scooter;

a) lighter, quicker round town that a big bike
    b) you don't need "the gear" to ride one - i.e. because its got leg sheilds you can get away with just a coat even if its raining.
    c) they take up less space in your garage/shed which is a bonus!
    d) they're fun
    e) no gears
    f) cheap tax and insurance

Just make sure you buy 2 stroke as 4 stroke scooters are shit slow - you want something like a 50cc Yamaha Aerox, preferably thats been owned by a teenager as it'll likely have an exhaust/70cc upgrade....do not buy anything chinese!

A 50cc 2 stroke with sports exhaust and/or 70cc kit will out accelerate a 125cc 4 stroke bike.

I'm saying this as a "big bike" rider having just sold a GPZ750.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I completely disagree with CokeeMonster. I find that on a low powered bike it's more dangerous as you want to keep momentum so you try not to lose speed if you can help it. On a powerful bike you can afford to slow down, wait for a gap and be back up to speed and passed the obstacle in the blink of an eye. Having said that my last bike was a 1200cc Triumph Daytona and that was just too big and heavy in town. The Ducati was much better as it was a lot smaller and lighter, but with plenty of grunt.

when was the last time you rode a low powered bike? newish 125's and above are pretty nippy these days ;)

I strongly disagree with the low powered bikes are dangerous bit, it's simply not true in my experience. The riders attitude and ability to ride defensively are far more important in my opinion, but each to their own
    About 10 years ago when my wife had a scooter. You're right about the attitude. It's me that doesn't want to lose momentum, not the bike. I just find they encouraged me to ride like that.

so the moral is both low and high powered bikes are dangerous - avoid 'em!! ;)
    Life is dangerous and should be avoided. :wink:
  • Veronese68 wrote:

If you're thinking of shuffling off this mortal coil can I haz all UR stuffs?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    Veronese68 wrote:

If you're thinking of shuffling off this mortal coil can I haz all UR stuffs?
    Will you take the debts and feed the wife and kids? but obviously no hanky panky.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Medders wrote:

I know some of you also ride or have ridden motorbikes and I know literally nothing about it so would appreciate your views about these few questions:
    - would riding a motorbike into work be any more dangerous than cycling (I cant see why it would be)?

No, although you need the right bike and right gear for what you want to do - i.e. you would be silly to commute to work on a GSXR1000K4 widowmaker in flip flops and a tee shirt.
    Medders wrote:
    - how long would it roughly take to cover the distance from the M25 (epsom/ashtead way) to the city in rush hour on a commuter type c.500cc bike?

Quicker than the cars queued - filtering is your friend and legal, despite what anyone says - it is only illegal to filter in Germany.
    Medders wrote:
    - can motorbike specific gear be worn over work/casual clothes (I want to avoid having to shower on arrival)?

Yes, you can buy full textile waterproof suits to go over work clothes - they are not cheap but offer protection, warmth and comfort. In summer they may get a little too hot, so a leather or textile jacket is always handy to have around.
    Medders wrote:
    - can a motorbike be ridden in all weathers with the right gear (as per a bicycle) or is it pretty horrible in bad weather?

Yes, but you will still get wet - usually pools of water in boots or in your lap, does not matter how waterproof gear is there is always a path in for water.
    Medders wrote:
    - do you have to pay to park a motorbike in the parking bays I see around in the city, are they thief magnets if left on the street (I will secure it but e.g. this is only partially effective with bikes) and is getting a space to park in the city tough?

Cannot answer this one directly - a good chain/disk lock is required (remember to remove it when starting the bike!). Also recommend buying a cheap bike that you don't look after - less likely to be a thief target.

Other considerations:

parking at home - Garage, shed or under cover - needs to be locked up. If left out in the cold weather under a cover, the battery will die and the bike will rot - need a battery charger and good storage in all reality. A shed with power is great, a full garage is best.

Kit: buy the best you can afford - Arai helmets are generally regarded as the best. leather and textiles work well - if you do come off think of it this way - leather/textile will keep you skin in tact, helmet and pads will help when something stops you from sliding (tree, lamp post, 38 tonner!).

Don't buy a bike that is over powerful - very easy to buy something that is basically nuts! Keep it simple on maint and fuel running costs. (Honda CB500, Yamaha Fazer 600....that sort of thing)

Remember, motorbikes quite often turn into an addiction.....and then turn into a new kitchen.
  • alansd1980
    alansd1980 Posts: 201
    Medders wrote:
    alansd1980 wrote:
    I am in a really similar situation.

I come in from Banstead which is only a couple of miles from Ashtead/Epsom. A couple of days a week I use a 125cc scooter to get into Russell Square and the other days I cycle. I would use the trains but connections from here are terrible. If I had an option I would avoid the Motorbike option as by the time you pay for the bike, CBT,insurance servicing and petrol it's certainly a lot more expensive than the train. The other thing is that its a lot easier to cop out of riding when you oversleep a bit and just jump on the bike. When you need to drag yourself to the train station cycling becomes a better option.

I looked into doing the Direct Access Scheme which would let you ride a proper bike straight away and its in the region of 800quid these days. There are pretty good links from where you are looking to move to so I would just enjoy a day or two rest during the week.

That is really helpful. What route do you take on your ride from Banstead?

The trouble with mixing up train and riding is that if I were getting the train 2/3 days a week there be little or no financial benefit as what I would be paying would not be far short of the full 5 days with a season ticket discount. Maybe a 125 scooter is the least worst option and use that when working long hours and cycle when I go through quieter periods. Being able to avoid the cr*ppiness and the relentless expense of the train is paramount.

From Epsom/Ashtead you would be looking at following the A24 all the way in. Very straightforward route.

I head down the A217 to rosehill and drop down into Morden then join the same route.

From looking at the number of bikes you have in your signature you would love the area, lots of MTBing and Road riding on your doorstep
    Banstead in Surrey to Russell square and back
    FCN 4
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    Medders wrote:
    - would riding a motorbike into work be any more dangerous than cycling (I cant see why it would be)?
    Other road users (peds, cyclists, motorists) will treat you like a "proper" road user. Which makes attempting to drive safely a lot easier. You don't suffer from the "Dilemma of Cycling", where you drive dangerously to prevent/avoid/minimise even more dangerous driving by the nutter behind you, who know that you are comitting an offence by obstructing them. You need not worry about the driving instructor behind you attempting to overtake on the inside, in the mandatory cycle lane, when there isn't a car-length gap in front of you.
    You can focus more on what is in front, even when driving slower than you might cycle.

Medders wrote:
    - can a motorbike be ridden in all weathers with the right gear (as per a bicycle) or is it pretty horrible in bad weather?
    Yes. I found one-piece waterproofs - umm - waterproof. Also good for insulation in freezing temperatures. Gloves that are flexible, insulating, and protective will be expensive. Like any vehicle, driving round iced hills on normal tyres is not going to work at all. On the flat, white ice is OK, so long as having the thing slide around a bit doesn't upset you, and you give yourself plenty of space.

Good all-weather clothing could cost more than the bike.

Heavy Moto-X boots may be better than pretty road boots in town, as (last time I looked) a lot of biker injuries are lower leg injuries. Lowish speed smidsy impacts are the likely hazard.

If you plan on covering any distance on a motorbike even a very small fairing will make it much less tiring. Just need something to deflect most of the wind blast over your shoulders. Sit-up-and-beg is not good for long distances.

For your commute, not sure a motorbike would be usefully quicker.
  • Hi

I live in SE London, zone 2 (Camberwell) and commuted to Soho and now the City on a 125cc and then a 500cc which I got last year. I rarely use the 500 to commute. Faster yes but heavier and more difficult to filter (though perhaps safer).

I now commute in some days on a cheap hybrid. I won't go back to the motorbikes. Too much hassle. Too many restrictions in traffic. Thanks to the cycle routes and crossings I can get to work faster over five miles on the hybrid than the motorbike.

This is very different to your situation, I know.

You're moving a lot faster. On a 22 mile commute I'm guessing you're on some A-roads. Once in the city I'd say a motorbike is probs safer - more visibility, more protective gear, more power to get out (or into) trouble.

- how long would it roughly take to cover the distance from the M25 (epsom/ashtead way) to the city in rush hour on a commuter type c.500cc bike?
    Probably a lot longer than you think. Remember the traffic lights and queuing traffic.

- can motorbike specific gear be worn over work/casual clothes (I want to avoid having to shower on arrival)?
    yes, but it's hot in summer and freezing in winter. The amount of stuff you'll need might surprise you. It's also not that cheap. Factor in the helmet too, to give you worse helmet hair than on a bike... Thing with your commute is that it's quite long so I'd want to be wearing proper motorbike trousers. Not going to be very comfortable over work suit.

yes, can be done. Very heavy rain makes visibility tricky, but just slow down or wait it out.

- do you have to pay to park a motorbike in the parking bays I see around in the city, are they thief magnets if left on the street (I will secure it but e.g. this is only partially effective with bikes) and is getting a space to park in the city tough?
    Westminster charges. Rest free AFAIK. BUT - the competition for these places can be intense. I work in the city and the bays are full all day from early on. I use an underground carpark.

Don't forget - maintenance cost and time. Need somewhere secure to store it at home. Insurance costs. Passing the test also not a breeze, and not cheap if you go for training. Also, not that safe.

My verdict? Committing to 40 miles on a motorbike every day if you've never ridden one is quite something. You might like it, you might not. I've got one and I really wouldn't want to ride it year round on busy roads every day. I wouldn't base a house purchase around it...

PS - what's so bad about the train? Yeah they're shit but I'd still opt for it over your suggestions, in this case.
    PPS - bike and car sounds like a bit of a chore.