Going to downgrade from my Boardman - but to what?

sonypc100
sonypc100 Posts: 67
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi

I bought a 2012 Boardman Pro HT from Halfords recently.

This one....

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... zone=PDPz1

And I have no complaints about the bike, in fact its great but I am going to sell it and I want to replace it with something cheaper. Reasons been....

1. I dont use it enough to warrant its cost. (yes I know I should of thought more before purchasing it, but I didnt want to get something cheap if I quickly wanted to grow into something more sophisticated)

2. I dont use it enough on the sort of terrain its built for.

3. My g/f has just recently bought a £200 carrera that weighs the same as my Boardman and to be honest I dont feel £800 worth of difference when I ride hers.

4. Probably the most important reason.....I'm petrified to leave it anywhere, even with a decent lock on it, and that is kinda taking away some of its enjoyment, and say if we stop at a pub, I darent leave it so we end up not going or not being able to sit inside with the bike out of view.

So, I am looking for a front suspension HT, for maybe £400 or a touch more, if it had the same weight as the Boardman that would be great, spec wise its going to do canal/road/footpath miles and maybe the odd forest or wood but nothing serious.

Thanks

Rich

Comments

• Jimx26
    Jimx26 Posts: 147
    I find it very hard to believe a £200 Carrera Mtb weighs the same as the Boardman unless it is teeny tiny and I doubt you will find an mtb for £400 that weighs the same.
    The Decathlon bikes get good reviews for around your budget.
  • sonypc100
    Well, ive not put either on the scales but I got my gf a Carrera subway (the gents version and shes never been a fan of the low bar on female bikes) and if I lift them side by side I find very little difference.
  • Jimx26
    Jimx26 Posts: 147
    Ah I see.... it probably is hen if it's a hybrid, I thought you meant mtb.
  • sonypc100
    Its this

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165534

It prob is slightly heavier than the Boardman but certainly I dont feel much of a difference neither do I feel £800 worth of kit more on the Boardman - but thats probably down to the style and distance I am riding.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You'll take a massive knock as its now second hand.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • sonypc100
    cooldad wrote:

Due to a few codes, promotions, quidco, discounts etc I managed to pay way under RRP so looking at completed listings on ebay I should just about break even.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    sonypc100 wrote:
    Probably the most important reason.....I'm petrified to leave it anywhere, even with a decent lock on it, and that is kinda taking away some of its enjoyment, and say if we stop at a pub, I darent leave it so we end up not going or not being able to sit inside with the bike out of view.
    unless you use it for its intended use you will never realise the quality of the kit, as for a cheaper bike being less likely to be stolen, it maybe even more tempting for some, less questions to be asked when the local smackheads nick it and try to flog it down the local market/car boot
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    A boardman pro is about 25-26 pounds. A subway a good 30lbs. I'd keep it, you'd lose loads selling it and have a worse bike.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    buy a Rat bike for the pub and shopping.

bumblebee auctions is a good place to start.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    buy a Rat bike for the pub and shopping.

bumblebee auctions is a good place to start.

+1

I've still got a 'racer' from when I was a teenager, never been cleaned or looked after. It's fluro pink and white :lol: . I bought it after my first MTB got nicked. I don't have to lock it up or worry about it.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I'd suggest getting a second hand bike for that sort of money but you'll just end up with similar to what you have now but a couple of years older...you might as well just wait a couple of years and yours will be worth £400 - happy days :?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    sonypc100 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Due to a few codes, promotions, quidco, discounts etc I managed to pay way under RRP so looking at completed listings on ebay I should just about break even.

In that case I'll offer you £100 for it.
  • sonypc100
    Briggo wrote:
    sonypc100 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

In that case I'll offer you £100 for it.

Deal.
  • sonypc100
    I'd suggest getting a second hand bike for that sort of money but you'll just end up with similar to what you have now but a couple of years older...you might as well just wait a couple of years and yours will be worth £400 - happy days :?

Don't really want a bike for "best" and one for dossing, just something around £300-£400. I wouldn't use either enough to justify 2
  • sonypc100
    supersonic wrote:
    A boardman pro is about 25-26 pounds. A subway a good 30lbs. I'd keep it, you'd lose loads selling it and have a worse bike.

I think for me pottering around a canal towpath with the misses the extra doesn't make that much difference
  • sonypc100
    chez_m356 wrote:
    sonypc100 wrote:
    Probably the most important reason.....I'm petrified to leave it anywhere, even with a decent lock on it, and that is kinda taking away some of its enjoyment, and say if we stop at a pub, I darent leave it so we end up not going or not being able to sit inside with the bike out of view.
    unless you use it for its intended use you will never realise the quality of the kit, as for a cheaper bike being less likely to be stolen, it maybe even more tempting for some, less questions to be asked when the local smackheads nick it and try to flog it down the local market/car boot

Correct. I don't think I will use it for its intended £1000 kit use
  • felix.london
    sonypc100 wrote:

Don't really want a bike for "best" and one for dossing, just something around £300-£400. I wouldn't use either enough to justify 2

I didn't suggest getting two bikes. I said in a couple of years yours will be worth £400. So you might as well keep it

Trek Session 8
  • sonypc100
    sonypc100 wrote:

I didn't suggest getting two bikes. I said in a couple of years yours will be worth £400. So you might as well keep it

Might be right...in 2 years from now, still doesnt help now when I have a shiny £1000 bit of kit sat outside a pub or the fact that Im not really using it to its abilities.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    If you really are looking to change it then I'd get something second-hand with a £400 budget
  • sonypc100
    Yeah, just looking at some listings now, trying to skip the scroates selling nicked bikes and find the genuine sellers online.

Also looking at the voodoo hoodoo which I can get under £400
  • felix.london
    nferrar wrote:
    If you really are looking to change it then I'd get something second-hand with a £400 budget

But like I said he'll just end up with a similarly spec'd bike just a couple of years older. Still just as nickable, still too much bike for his needs, just older..seems silly

Trek Session 8
  • felix.london
    sonypc100 wrote:
    Yeah, just looking at some listings now, trying to skip the scroates selling nicked bikes and find the genuine sellers online.

...and you'd be happy leaving that outside the pub?

Trek Session 8
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    Put it in the classifieds here as an exchange for a bag of shit bike + cash.

If you sell it second hand then buy a new bike the profit you make will be pretty minimal. But if you must, then yes a Hoodoo would be fine, although by the sounds of it still a lot more bike than you need. Look at the entry level Rockriders too.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    sonypc100 wrote:

...and you'd be happy leaving that outside the pub?
    this exactly, for your intended use of the bike you might as well get a £150 apollo from halfords, anything else sounds as if it would be a waste of a bike
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I had a £150 Apollo CX10s , left it outside the pub every weekend unlocked, never washed it, never maintained it and did 8000 miles on it without a single problem. Best bike I have owned!
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Get another one then. :roll:

Don't really get statements like that; "I don't know why I ever bought this expensive x, the cheap one was far better".
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Seems like you are only going to lose out buy selling up and buying a cheaper bike. You might as well keep it. Buy a bike that just about works for £20 on eBay or go to the local dump and pick something up for the pub and you have the best of both worlds. You say you can't justify doing this but I can't see a good reason for doing what you plan to do.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Get another one then.

Don't really get statements like that; "I don't know why I ever bought this expensive x, the cheap one was far better".

What I meant was that a dirt cheap bike can be perfectly good for what this dude wants. I won't be replacing my Scalp with another Apollo hybrid!
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    So it wasn't in fact the best bike you've ever owned.
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    I'm slightly bemused by this topic.

I'd say, in summary, you could do any of the following;

a) Keep your current bike + invest in a decent lock

b) Keep your current bike + insure it

c) Keep your current bike + don't leave it anywhere where it might get stolen

d) Sell your bike (possibly make a loss or just about break even) and buy a £400 ish bike which is suitable for your usage and have a similar risk of it being nicked

e) Sell your bike and buy a pile of junk which may still get nicked but be cheap to replace

f) Any of the above permutations combined together!

Personally I would be keeping the Boardman, using it for it's intended purpose, not worrying about it, and enjoying it!
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco