She's starting to ask questions !!

MattC59
MattC59 Posts: 5,408
edited July 2012 in The bottom bracket
I currently have a cardboard box sitting in my study. Inside is about £1800 of shiney things and carbon. There's also a man in a workshop in Eastbourne currently welding titanium tubes together for me.

Mrs C is starting to ask "exactly how much is this bike costing".

I've not told her about the Bontrager carbon wheels hiding in the garage !!!! :lol:
Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    MattC59 wrote:
    I currently have a cardboard box sitting in my study. Inside is about £1800 of shiney things and carbon. There's also a man in a workshop in Eastbourne currently welding titanium tubes together for me.

I've not told her about the Bontrager carbon wheels hiding in the garage !!!! :lol:
    Mitigating but honest answer? The frame price.

Everything else is an optional add on. Isn't it? :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Perhaps it's down to how each household runs it's budget,but, Mrs Tank knows better than to ask "How much was that"?

I either tell her "enough". Or just ignore her, job done, if she doesn't like it............................................
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • MattC59
    So far, I've got away with "more than £100 and less than a new kitchen". :lol:

I reckon I can get away with £2k :lol:
  • MattC59 wrote:
    So far, I've got away with "more than £100 and less than a new kitchen". :lol:

I reckon I can get away with £2k :lol:

You never actually get away with it. Just accept the fact that this will get filed in her 'things to use' area of her brain and one day there'll be a bill on the joint account for a LV handbag, or a couple of pairs of Jimmy Choo's or a Spa weekend with the girls.

But you know that.... :wink:
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    Or alternatively just MTFU and tell her...

If you still have both your balls afterwards your marriage is likely to be a long and happy one.

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I made the mistake of revealing what I just paid for sapim CX ray spokes on my new wheels, good job she didnt see all the other bits for the wheelset.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    just do what she would do if she got new shoes/handbag......

take the full price and half it :wink:
  • MattC59
    The wheels are also now sitting in the study, complete with shiney red bling bits on and she's not mentioned them, so I suspect that she already knows about them :lol: (Dispite my attempts at camoflage !) Still, knowing I have them and knowing the cost is a different matter 8)
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    I am very fortunate in this regard. My wife takes that attitude that you're a long time dead, enjoy the things you love. It means we don't ave much savings, but we do have fun.
  • MattC59
    Yesterday, Mrs C suggested that I spend the additional £499 to have the full mirror polished finish, so she can't be that bothered about the cost (and must have some idea of the actual cost !) :D
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    I must admit that I always keep the price of bits fairly quiet around Casa Yossie - they tend to go straight in the garage and get fitted to the bike without mentioning anything.

I once had some exhausts had made for the race bike - individual sections welded together by hand with the welds still showing, topped off with beautiful carbon fibre end cans - all hand made by a dude who makes GP exhausts. They are so beautiful I walked around the house cuddling them in case I had been followed back from the dude's place by a squad of Mafia exhaust stealers bent on stealing my exhausts. "What are they" asked the delicious Victoria. In my naive excitement I blurted out exactly what they were and what a bargain they were. I then recieved a swift kick to the nads and a carbon end can to the nape of the neck.

Never ever ever again will any form of disclosure bemade.

As an aside, today I found out how much the delicous Victoria had paid for a series of treatments at the local spa - errr, lets just put it this way shall we gents: new Obermayers to ride to work on anyone? (I'm not going to say that "c" word as they are all twats and I think that I'm not. Sometimes. Unlike the whole of the Spanish football team who are twats who rape donkeys. Animal raping twat faced twats donkey rapist twats).
  • MattC59
    Yossie wrote:
    I once had some exhausts had made for the race bike - individual sections welded together by hand with the welds still showing, topped off with beautiful carbon fibre end cans - all hand made by a dude who makes GP exhausts. They are so beautiful I walked around the house cuddling them in case I had been followed back from the dude's place by a squad of Mafia exhaust stealers bent on stealing my exhausts. "What are they" asked the delicious Victoria. In my naive excitement I blurted out exactly what they were and what a bargain they were. I then recieved a swift kick to the nads and a carbon end can to the nape of the neck.

Had a similar issue whe I presented Mrs C with a set of hand made Magnecor KV85 ignition leads for my V8............ "Hoooow much !?!? For some bits of wire ??!?!!?"

These things go straight in the garage now :lol:
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,628
    You need a distraction.

Dead hooker in the garage perhaps, she'll soon forget about the bike.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • MattC59
    seanoconn wrote:
    You need a distraction.

Tried that.
  • daviesee
    MattC59 wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    You need a distraction.

Tried that.
    Live hooker would probably get more reaction. :twisted:
  • MattC59
    daviesee wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    You need a distraction.

Tried that.

Tried that too.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,628
    MattC59 wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    You need a distraction.

Tried that.

Tried that too.
    "She was like that when i found her." Has got me out of a few scrapes. :D
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    Hoopdriver wrote:
    I am very fortunate in this regard. My wife takes that attitude that you're a long time dead, enjoy the things you love. It means we don't ave much savings, but we do have fun.

exactly.... own up, and be honest, wives are not fools, they can read a label and do an internet search you know! Then you would just become a liar, and mad for "spending so much on yet another bike when you can only ride one"
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    Whether you tell her or not depends on whether you can afford the bike.

If you are 'comfortably off' then it's no problem, if you are struggling to pay the mortgage or debts then it is.

Simples.

The older I get, the better I was.

• Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Speedybird just bought a £600 set of Crank Bros MTB wheels for her new "bargain" frame so currently the pendulum is swinging my way...
  • MattC59
    Jeez, there're some very serious people on here.
  • MattC59
    Redhog14 wrote:
    Speedybird just bought a £600 set of Crank Bros MTB wheels for her new "bargain" frame so currently the pendulum is swinging my way...

Nice !!!
    To be honest, I never have an issue, it's my money and as long as I'm not spending it when she's saving for something for both of us, it's not a problem.
  • daviesee
    ILM Zero7 wrote:
    Hoopdriver wrote:

exactly.... own up, and be honest, wives are not fools, they can read a label and do an internet search you know! Then you would just become a liar, and mad for "spending so much on yet another bike when you can only ride one"
    Well that is the truth for sure.

But wheres the fun in that? :wink:
  • Yossie
    Capt Slog wrote:
    Whether you tell her or not depends on whether you can afford the bike.

If you are 'comfortably off' then it's no problem, if you are struggling to pay the mortgage or debts then it is.

Simples.

Blimey - now theres a thought.

If you're poor and can't afford baked beans, don't buy Obermayers. Sheeeeesh, never thought of that.

Well, some people are a bundle of laughs.........

Matt: just lie about it all. And if she finds out just shag her mum - that'll take her mind off it. Unless she wants to join in, at which point I believe that life would turn so weird that you could set up a stall selling space dockers in Camden market and no one would bat an eyelid ............
  • MattC59
    Yossie wrote:
    Capt Slog wrote:
    And if she finds out just shag her mum -

Never gonna happen, Neeeeever gonna happen !!

If you want to send the lovely vicky around here though.............
  • Yossie
    MattC59 wrote:
    Yossie wrote:
    Capt Slog wrote:

Oh go on- post some Mum nork piccies up here as well. Be well funny.

I'll ask the delicious Victoria if she wants to pop round but last time I mentioned anything to do with this forum she shuddered, went pale, muttered something about Cleat and wandered off in a daze to look delicious in another room, so I don't really think its a goer. Sorry ........
  • MattC59
    Yossie wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:
    Yossie wrote:
    Capt Slog wrote:

Oh go on- post some Mum nork piccies up here as well. Be well funny.

I'll ask the delicious Victoria if she wants to pop round but last time I mentioned anything to do with this forum she shuddered, went pale, muttered something about Cleat and wandered off in a daze to look delicious in another room, so I don't really think its a goer. Sorry ........

It was worth asking I suppose.
    Like wise I can ask the mother in law, but be warned, she may be drunk and may say yes; in which case I'll probably need hospital treatment !
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,097
    MattC59 wrote:

If that bloke in Eastbourne is Shaun Reed than god help you...

I have all this to come. I bought a Wilier frame last year and put all my Record 10 on to it. The simplest solution was to buy some cheap stuff and kit the old Pinarello out with it but just couldn't resist putting Record 11 on the Wilier and putting the Record 10 stuff on the Pina. 13 months of buying bits when I can afford to - bloody torture (and Ribble have got decent prices on Campag 11 stuff at the moment which I can't afford just yet - even more torture).
    Don't think I will get away with "well, it just won't fit 'cos its a different frame and thats why I have to buy all these other components". I get the parcels sent to my mothers house and then stuff them into cupboards. Not long till 2 fantastic days of swapping/stripping/cleaning and putting them together; might have to take some time off work... now how do I wangle that one?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    All my purchases are delivered to work and smuggled in when no-one is around. :wink:

Problem I have is my 3 year old who seems to be able to spot something new on the bike!
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Right, tell your Missus you're merely 'storing' the parts for me as I'm tight on space at the mo. Then, as you're such a great bloke and relish a challenge, you've also offered to build my Enigma bike up, the frameset is being delivered to yours too.

Then on the 11th I rock up at Matt Heights and collect my bike. In six months time, I can decide that cycling 'isn't my thing' and will 'sell' you the bike for £400. You'll of course consult Mrs Matt who will agree £400 is a bargain and give the 'purchase' her blessing. You get the bike with no arguments, Mrs Matt feels good that you've done it the adult way and me, well I'll just have to take a hit for the team and ride your bike for six months :(

No need to thank me, it's a service I provide.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”