Just one more question, Energy food ?

2»

Comments

• Bigchris
    Bigchris Posts: 131
    I'm with you on this one yeehaa for once...

Like I said google electrolyte sources, sport drinks are just the same as 90% of sport products people buy...

Do yourself and wallet a favour.
  • Bigchris
    Explain yourself.
    Truth is protein shakes although not mentioned in the documentary do work, but do you need them? Absolutely NOT if your diet is substantial enough.

I'm with you on that one though, but protein drinks don't give you all the vitamins and minerals things like fish, nuts, milk etc does give. If it does..its synthetic..made by the same people who make all our lovely drugs in supermarkets, pharmacies and hospitals. Great.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Truth is protein shakes although not mentioned in the documentary do work, but do you need them? Absolutely NOT if your diet is substantial enough.
    Well, Lucozade also works in that it will rehydrate you, and it has carbohydrates. What they were stating is that it's not needed. Same exact thing goes for protein shakes.
    All of it is just a marketing scam.

you mention endurance sports, but the percentage of MTBers that will benefit from these fringe gains are an miniscule minority, even in this passtime.
    Just drink water, eat something healthy, and stop bothering your wallet.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Im with yeehaa on this. It all works but works no better than a pint of milk from the bottle and a pasta dish for carbs, and is certainly not great for you cash funds.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Of course, it should be realised that T.M.H.N.E.T is in that vanishingly small fraction of a single percentage of athletes, who regularly rides Iditabike challenges and trans-Rockies and such, who actually benefit from such things.
    He is superhuman, and his efforts put the rest of us to shame. When the researchers were talking about the population at large, they couldn't possibly have been talking about HIM, surely? No, they were talking about the rest of us peons.
    It shames him to be included in studies of the general population, when he's actually an Olympic grade athlete, and we should stop mocking his dietary requirements.
  • Bigchris
    Does anyone believe that corporations are actually there for our good...seriously.

If you do, name it.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Well, Lucozade also works in that it will rehydrate you, and it has carbohydrates. What they were stating is that it's not needed. Same exact thing goes for protein shakes.
    All of it is just a marketing scam.

you mention endurance sports, but the percentage of MTBers that will benefit from these fringe gains are an miniscule minority, even in this passtime.
    Just drink water, eat something healthy, and stop bothering your wallet.
    You're getting there,slowly.. Although they still didn't mention protein shakes.
    Im with yeehaa on this. It all works but works no better than a pint of milk from the bottle and a pasta dish for carbs, and is certainly not great for you cash funds.
    Where do you do your shopping?
  • bennett_346
    Sainsburies. Why?
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    Sainsburies. Why?
    Just checking the price of a pint of milk.
  • bennett_346
    Sainsburies. Why?
    30p roughly.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    Sainsburies. Why?
    30p roughly.
    Tis 49p
  • YeehaaMcgee
    You're getting there,slowly.. Although they still didn't mention protein shakes.
    I'm confused about which thread we're on now. Is this the one discussing the BBC article and show? If so, they mention it right in the sub-title...
    Consumers could be wasting their money on sports drinks, protein shakes and high-end trainers, according to a new joint investigation by BBC Panorama and the British Medical Journal.
    You do realise that proteins are made of amino acids, right?
  • bennett_346
    Tis 49p
    It isn't. I shop there every week and we buy 4 pint bottles for £1.19.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    I'm confused about which thread we're on now. Is this the one discussing the BBC article and show? If so, they mention it right in the sub-title...
    Consumers could be wasting their money on sports drinks, protein shakes and high-end trainers, according to a new joint investigation by BBC Panorama and the British Medical Journal.
    You do realise that proteins are made of amino acids, right?
    Watch the documentary again. There was literally nothing about protein shakes. Great journalism from the BBC considering the article is about the program.
  • bennett_346
    I'm sure there was near the end.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    I'm sure there was near the end.
    It wasn't. There was a blonde buying one,a foreign guy talking about buying them,that's informative.
  • bennett_346
    Whatever, keep wasting your money on expensive milk and salty water :lol:
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    Whatever, keep wasting your money on expensive milk and salty water :lol:
    As if I buy milk :lol:
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I just had cheese and spinach cannelloni, with some rice and veg. Plenty of protein and carbs. And f***ing tasty to boot.
    Should I be chastised for being a heathen?
  • I have used protein shakes in the past, and I do think it made a difference. Your body will have a limit on how much of something it can absorb anyway.

I don't bother with anything now, just a decent diet (although easier said than done).

We had a few days up in the Harz mountains in Germany a few weeks ago, out everyday for about 7 hours or so. Porridge every morning, lots of fluids (although we were drinking at night which probably didn't help too much) and a packed lunch for during the day although we usually stopped at a cafe for lunch anyway which meant bratwurst mit pommes (big sausages and chips). I found that ok but if I go out by myself I stay away from the fatty stuff and try and take healthier stuff, although I'm not really out long enough to need extra food. I do tend to take a flask of coffee, but more because I like it than any caffeine hit - and I drink it throughout the day.

Things like Red Bull taste like crap anyway, it still confuses me as to why it sells so much.

The problem at the moment is I tend to be eating too many carbs and not doing enough exercise.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Pasta the night before
    Bananas for a snack en route, water to drink. Sandwiches if you're stopping for lunch.
    Optional pint of milk and a Mars bar as a reward for finishing.
    Dinner when you come home.

All you need for a 100K ride. TdF riders may need more, regular people don't
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er