Just one more question, Energy food ?

Johny-B
Johny-B Posts: 9
edited August 2012 in MTB beginners
Sorry to ask so many q's as soon as i get on here, but was also wondering. Do any of you have advice on possible energy foods/drinks. I honestly don't know quick release energy foods from slow release energy foods and some drinks seem to be all sugar possibly. Do you eat anything special before cycling to give you more energy, if so what and how long before? (I promise to give it a rest after this question, don't want to be a pain)

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    There is some very good info in the Health and Fitness section here that goes into food detail.

It all depends on the type of carbs. Simple sugars get absorbed quickly into the blood stream, more complex carbs do so slower. But you have to look at hydration too. Have a scan through that forum, probably find all you need to know!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends on the ride. I always just take water in my camelbak. Couple of muesli type bars. Stop for a sarmie if it's a long ride.
    And eat lots of bacon beforehand.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Majski
    Majski Posts: 443
    I find the high 5 zero tablets that make a litre of drink are good, just dont put them in your camelbak it tastes gross. That and bananas
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    For a 2-3 hour ride I tend to just take water (maybe a trail bar if its an odd time - as in not recently after breakfast or lunch).

Longer than that definitely trail bars, I tried additives to water but in a camelback they screw with the reservoir if you are not ultra careful cleaning and storing (which I am not - mine is currently going septic in the boot of my car).

Otherwise trail mix, bananas (hard to carry) or malt loaf.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • For a pre ride snack i like a slice of bread covered in jam and peanut butter.
    You can even roll them up like a swiss roll and wrap in foil or cling film and take with you as a cheap energy source.

As for drinks if i take anything other than water i sometimes knock up a homemade electrolyte drink as im a cheap ass :P
    Something like this http://cheekybumsblog.com/2012/04/03/li ... pedialyte/
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I find the high 5 zero tablets that make a litre of drink are good

They're just electrolytes though, will keep you hydrated better, but do nothing to give you energy.

I'd not bother with anything other than water for a ride under 3 hours, if it's over that I often use an energy drink (generally High 5 Source) if it's going to be a particularly hard ride, but otherwise don't tend to bother.

Many people totally over estimate the amount of energy they need - hence all the overweight mountain bikers!

Cake stop mid ride is the best solution.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I did a three hour ride last week and just took water... it was a hard ride and I bonked towards the end. Always take some energy stuff!
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    This is what I do before during and after long rides, training or racing..

Before: SiS Go carbohydrate drink
    During: High 5 zero tablets and SiS carb Gels ( if needed )
    After: SiS Rego recovery shake immediately after training.
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    For long 2+hr climbs I'll have a Power Bar before I set out. Home made Isotonic drink for hydration during the climb. Poss have a energy gel if I'm flagging near the top, plain water on the way down and a Protien bar when I get in. Then do it all again the next day :wink:

If I'm doing a day/session of DH - it's 2x pain au chocolate in the car in the morning and a slice of pizza at lunch time (obviously with a couple of Camelbak's full of water throughout the day)
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Peanut butter sandwiches.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    All dayers -

Before ride nice bacon sarny and bowl of porridge with honey
    High5 tablets in the water
    Couple of elevenses bars for mid ride
    Bag of jelly babies for quick hit energy for emergency anti bonk situations
    Jam sandwich and some cake for lunch
    Post ride - High5 recovery protein shake & nice pasta type dish later
  • spr wheelie
    spr wheelie Posts: 110
    on a long phys session id go with a cereal bar or a bannanna
    sight 3 se
  • Johny-B
    Johny-B Posts: 9
    Thanks all for the advice. I usually have peanut butter and jam on toast, at home obviously before going out (seperate toast, not all on one, don't know if toast is good or bad). I also love bananas and eat them regularly.
    Did read somewhere that peanut butter doesn't digest easily, but i don't find a problem with it.
    Porridge and honey sound good, and a couple of people have mentioned Jelly Babies.
    Thanks again, it gives me things to work on and I'll look into the other stuff like tablets and gels.
    I need to drink more water too !!!
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Gels give me bad farts, and the craps.
    Flapjacks, or jelly babies, now you're talking!
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Gels give me bad farts, and the craps.
    Flapjacks, or jelly babies, now you're talking!

Let alone the fact they give bad craps, they taste friggin disgusting and I've tried a fair few.

Flapjacks/Jelly babies > Most things.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Jelly babies are minging.

There, i said it.
  • bwfc4eva868
    bwfc4eva868 Posts: 717
    Behave! Jelly babies are lovely. The black and red ones are gorgeous.
  • CYCLESPORT1
    CYCLESPORT1 Posts: 471
    Have a look at this new to the uk sports food, I am just about to try it:
    http://www.sponseruk.com/
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Have a look at this new to the uk sports food, I am just about to try it:
    http://www.sponseruk.com/
    Your new employer?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • :lol::lol: Love it!! registers as CYCLESPORT1 then mentions he is just "going to try it" LMFAO :roll: :lol:. I try to get some pasta down me a few hours before riding if poss (carbs). Then try some to get some protein in you after (chicken maybe?). Usually just drink straight water during (have tried a few of the High5 CRC "freebie" zero tabs and they tasted ok i guess).

Didn't turn me into <insert famous XC rider> so meh :D . Water will probably do most the time.

Thanks.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Normal ride - bacon sandwich before hand.
    Long ride - bacon and egg sandwich before hand.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • CYCLESPORT1
    CYCLESPORT1 Posts: 471
    Totaly wrong Darkstalker - I did try it on sunday for the first time, 500ml drink and a bar, did 40 miles and still had something left in the bag at the end, so well pleased.
    :lol::lol: Love it!! registers as CYCLESPORT1 then mentions he is just "going to try it" LMFAO :roll: :lol:. I try to get some pasta down me a few hours before riding if poss (carbs). Then try some to get some protein in you after (chicken maybe?). Usually just drink straight water during (have tried a few of the High5 CRC "freebie" zero tabs and they tasted ok i guess).

Didn't turn me into <insert famous XC rider> so meh :D . Water will probably do most the time.

Thanks.
  • jakjtb
    jakjtb Posts: 111
    i was told to load up on carbs as those are what your body runs on and finds fuel from. you can take some energy bars with you, found in body active shops or similar etc, as these are a quick source of energy during the ride that will also make you feel full.
    try not to load up on red bull or similar products as these are just a short rush and will end in a sugar crash and will fatigue you very very quickly
    i find that if you just talk, your mouth comes out with stuff - Karl Pilkington
  • Well according to this weeks panaorama (still on iplayer) they are all a waste of money and will stop you getting fitter!
    My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.
  • Bigchris
    Bigchris Posts: 131
    Why anyone uses these friggin sports drinks to "replace" electrolytes i don't know...

Just google electrolyte sources, and click any of the tabs.

And you pay what..? :S
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Well according to this weeks panaorama (still on iplayer) they are all a waste of money and will stop you getting fitter!
    Please tell me you're not being serious.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Well according to this weeks panaorama (still on iplayer) they are all a waste of money and will stop you getting fitter!
    Yes, he is. We are.
    What is your beef with this?
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    Yes, he is. We are.
    What is your beef with this?

Well it's wrong for a start.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Explain yourself.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    Explain yourself.
    It's easy. Cycling MTB or otherwise is generally an endurance sport. The documentary wasn't based on this, it was based on people who half-assedly exercise for 30mins 3times a week. These people DO NOT need anything but water and especially DO NOT need drinks with carbs in them.

It failed entirely to mention endurance sports in more than a passing comment.

Emphasis was also placed on Branched Chain Amino Acids (BCAA's which are part of proteins) which no evidence was found that could prove if they work. But naturally pretty much everyone instantly jumped on the protein shakes don't work bandwagon that was already travelling at millions of MPH.

Truth is protein shakes although not mentioned in the documentary do work, but do you need them? Absolutely NOT if your diet is substantial enough.