Can a viral infection cause breathlessness?

brit66
brit66 Posts: 350
It's been over a week since I virtually had to stop pedalling on my commute home because of complete breathlessness. Even climbing the stairs is causing the old heart rate to go like the clappers, accompanied with being out of breath.

I'm generally pretty fit so was wondering if it was a virus. I've never suffered from asthma but I know you can get it at any age so that's another possibility I guess.

Anyone suffered anything similar?

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Yup - certainly could be a virus. Could be a number of things (though it doesn't sound much like asthma). If you're really concerned, seek proper medical advice.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    Could be all sorts of things but elevated heart rate and perceived effort are definitely things I've noticed when I'm about to come down with something.

Take a few days off the bike (resting as much as you can) and if it doesn't go away off to the doctor with you.
  • brit66
    brit66 Posts: 350
    Well, I've booked in to see the doc so we'll see what happens.

I cycled in to work this morning and it was like an old man cycling to his allotment... embarrassing. :(
  • Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    I had something similar earlier in the year. Started off as a bit of a sore throat and ear ache but then i got to the point where about 500 yards into my ride I was out of breath. It also hurt if i took a deep breath.

It was a bugger to shake off too, took at least 4 weeks before I was back to normal (out of breath after 1 mile instead :roll: )
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid