lycra etiquette

clarkey cat
clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
edited June 2012 in Commuting chat
so, I know some people get a bit sniffy about people wearing replica World Champ jerseys or TdF yellow jerseys when out a-cycling, as if they are actually masquerading as one of the world's best cyclists... but would wearing one of the Olympic Team GB jerseys be okay? I think they are quite natty - being designed by Stella and all, but I dont want anyone getting all sneery on my ass.

Advice please!

Comments

• DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Like it? Wear it!

Trouble is, whatever one wears, there's bound to be someone sniffy about it, so one might as well do what appeals.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I think that with the Olympics being in London, go for it and fudge the naysayers. :D:D
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Just accept the fact that whatever you wear your arse will look big in it.

It's all downhill from there! :P
  • clarkey cat
    I'm working hard on my arse-size. Had 15 packs of snack-a-jacks today. And thats it!
  • M-A-S
    M-A-S Posts: 87
    Is there really any difference between wearing a team GB jersey or a pro tour team one? I don't think so.

Go for it I say.
  • velohutts
    velohutts Posts: 288
    If you like it wear it , if others object there problem , only opportunity in my lifetime where I will opefully get to see the gb olympic road team in england , showing some support - surely a good thing !!
    Big difference between that and a world champs jersey IMHO !
    Enigma Esprit Di2 - Go tI ! Summer !
  • I think the Sky jerseys only come in XXL upwards though judging by the ones I've seen out.

(Kidding - my sister bought my son one and he's very slim)

Personally I wouldn't wear a rainbow/yellow/pink jersey replica. I've got a retro Peugot one (also from my sister) that I really like though. Fancy a Merckx/Molteni one but they are pricey. For commuting, cheap plain colours.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    We look like mugs in lycra anyway - I wouldn't take any sh!t from someone else in lycra on sartorial matters.
  • twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    What you on about! We look awesome in Lycra.

The ladies simply admire our bulging calfs and thighs. They 100% do not notice that our chamois pads make us look like we have massive camel toe going on. :oops:

This morning getting ready for work slipping on my new DHB bib shorts the other half (Who rides!) laughed and said nice camel toe. I had the last laugh when I informed her the badgers had distributed the contents of the food bin awaiting recycling across the drive. The marigolds are under the sink darling I am late for work.

I do not see a problem with team kit. Wear what you like. I think the GB kit looks very smart. The other half just bought the pink dotted carrefour jersey. But she is female and can get away with anything.
  • Hot Orange
    Hot Orange Posts: 157
    ... but would wearing one of the Olympic Team GB jerseys be okay?

It depends. Does it go with your bike?
    Summer: 2012 Trek Madone 3.5
    Winter: 2013 Trek Crockett 5
  • rubertoe
    It goes with mine...

... What the hell, i am feeling all patriotic so I am just about to get one.

Any linky's for the cheapest out there??
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• twist83
    twist83 Posts: 761
    I would be surprised if it was found cheaper. On the search for the other halfs top online and in-stores the GB kit kept popping up and do not recall seeing it under £59.99.

I know as of last Sunday Evan's next to Spitalfields Market had the jerseys in S, M, L and XL on the shelf
  • clarkey cat
    it really is very nice.

prod_38376.jpg
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    it really is very nice.

prod_38376.jpg

It's great - if you want to look like a child wearing a bib. That would be only concern though, not one for rules on what you can and can't wear. Saying that, you do make yourself a target if you are going uphill with a polka dot jersey on. And I can't help thinking "MAMIL" if I see somebody in Team Sky kit. If I'm wearing I tend to go "retro" to avoid looking too much of a fanboy. I do have a GB jersey which is good for when I'm riding out to support the Brits in the peloton - got a very funy look from Dave Brailsford the other year though, kind of "who's that?" then a very much not amused "who the **** is that?" :lol:
  • clarkey cat
    but hasn't the whole 'retro' thing been done to death now...?
    I'd like to see things go back the other way now with people in white team bib-shorts, yellow oversocks, jawbones... gunt resting on the top-tube!
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    BigMat wrote:
    it really is very nice.

prod_38376.jpg

It's great - if you want to look like a child wearing a bib. That would be only concern though, not one for rules on what you can and can't wear. Saying that, you do make yourself a target if you are going uphill with a polka dot jersey on. And I can't help thinking "MAMIL" if I see somebody in Team Sky kit. If I'm wearing I tend to go "retro" to avoid looking too much of a fanboy. I do have a GB jersey which is good for when I'm riding out to support the Brits in the peloton - got a very funy look from Dave Brailsford the other year though, kind of "who's that?" then a very much not amused "who the **** is that?" :lol:

I kinda like it. But not going to buy one, I'd have to lose about 5 stone to wear it.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • rick_chasey
    I'd like to see things go back the other way now with people in white team bib-shorts, yellow oversocks, jawbones... gunt resting on the top-tube!

There's a reason I commute in this:
    mercuno_ss.jpg
  • clarkey cat
    do you change your jersey and shorts every day?

I do... but Im wondering whether to bother.
  • rick_chasey
    Not every day - just when they smell / when a change of conditions requires.

I have more jerseys than days of the week though.
  • bigmat

There's a time and a place for the full on racing roadie look, but if you're going to do that then surely you should have your own team kit on?! Expensive Italian gear also acceptable (Castelli etc), Assos and Rapha mark the start of the slide towards Mamildom...
  • rubertoe

There's a reason I commute in this:
    mercuno_ss.jpg

My Favourite jersey of all time

That and the Footon - Servetto one from a few years ago.

• The great thing about retro is, well if you have on a previous season's kit for a current team, you look a bit ... cheap. If you have retro stuff you can wear it forever.

We've just changed club kit and I haven't update yet though. Too much stuff.
  • bigmat
    We've just introduced a fancy technical fabric skinsuit, which all the racing snakes are now sporting. I barely get chance to wear my regular team kit, which is already two short redesigns out of date. :(
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    I always wonder if the folk that get sniffy about protour team tops go into football pubs when there's a match on and harangue the patrons.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    When I see a person in team kit I have to admit I do expect them to be fast. But then I suppose when people see me, a large lad, in lycra they probably expect me to (i) be deceptively fast or (ii) an absolute loon. I'm actually being smart.

I wear lycra because it wicks away sweat from my body, keeping me relatively cool, dry and fresh while I exert myself on the bike. I compare this to my days wearing cotton t-shirts. I'd ride slower in cotton, I had to, because I'd overheat quicker and be more sweaty and smelly when I arrived at work. There are times when I've arrived at work wearing lycra and because I've already cooled down I can just change into work clothes not bothering with the whores bath/shower and not worry about stinking.

So, yes, I may look silly wearing lycra but I don't have to hold back when commuting from fear of sweat and stink. Obiviously as kit gets older or worn more times than once a day (in and out commutes) it becomes its own stink. This is why i have amassed an army of cheaper lycra to get me through the week and bolstered it with more expensive stuff.

I'm not a fan of team kits - I don't believe they give the same quality as castelli or Assos (though they never fit) and because you're never too far from a pro or race licensed rider in cycling I find team kits make too much of a statement about ability (Like a dude in rapha condor kit or Dulwich Paragon). This is unlike football shirts which are just purely about supporting the team.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    DiddyDon,
    Which superhero outfit would you most like to see available as cycling kit?
  • TDF, GB, Sky, World champs, livestrong and US postal always look a bit naff in my opinion.

But do like a retro/obscure jersey so chapeaux for the Merciatone Uno above, I do commute in a Quickstep Belgium champs from Boonens first win era quite regually. I like seeing something like a francais de juex, agritubel or the randomness of an Omega Pharma Lotto Quickstep jersey just for the skill of trying to carry off redish pink and turquose blue on white.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768

If retro is now everywhere, does that not mean it's no longer retro but current?
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited June 2012
    DrLex wrote:
    DiddyDon,
    Which superhero outfit would you most like to see available as cycling kit?
    CostumeSecretWar.gif

The day someone mass produces that, with the spider as a reflective or white option, is the day I get the vary large credit card out...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rubertoe
    I shall be wearing my Sky jersey home tonight. I will be simultaneously naff and slow, but not one bit bothered. :)