Forum home Road cycling forum The cake stop

GB's pre olympic sporting expectations

Frank the tankFrank the tank Posts: 6,806
edited June 2012 in The cake stop
According to those T0ss pots on daybreak all lie with Andy Murray. :roll:

I can't help but think they've forgotten about Wiggo,or, more likely not even aware of his chances in the first place.
Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

Posts

  • davieseedaviesee Posts: 6,473
    They may know Chris Hoy or Mark Cavendish but won't have a clue who Bradley Wiggins is.

    Then again, the road race is likely to finish in a sprint so Bradley won't be winning anyway.

    PS:- I have been saying for 5 years that Andy Murray is the Colin Montgomery of tennis. Good skill, loads of money, lots of minor tournaments, no majors. I've not seen anything yet to change my mind.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • ShutUpLegsShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Loads of money from sponsorships to be paid into an offshore account then lent back as a loan with virtually no income tax being paid :?:
  • rick_chaseyrick_chasey Posts: 49,978 Lives Here
    People will pay attention if Wiggins is very close to or is winning it. Otherwise, why would they?
  • ProssPross Posts: 23,736
    daviesee wrote:
    They may know Chris Hoy or Mark Cavendish but won't have a clue who Bradley Wiggins is.

    I suspect they will, after Hoy and maybe Cavendish he is probably the best known (male) cyclist. After all he is a multiple Olympic medallist which is how you become well known in minority sports in this country.
  • davieseedaviesee Posts: 6,473
    Pross wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    They may know Chris Hoy or Mark Cavendish but won't have a clue who Bradley Wiggins is.

    I suspect they will, after Hoy and maybe Cavendish he is probably the best known (male) cyclist. After all he is a multiple Olympic medallist which is how you become well known in minority sports in this country.
    Simply ask the person nearest you who is not a cyclist. I doubt that they will.
    Just now. That will change should he win the TdF.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • ProssPross Posts: 23,736
    daviesee wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    They may know Chris Hoy or Mark Cavendish but won't have a clue who Bradley Wiggins is.

    I suspect they will, after Hoy and maybe Cavendish he is probably the best known (male) cyclist. After all he is a multiple Olympic medallist which is how you become well known in minority sports in this country.
    Simply ask the person nearest you who is not a cyclist. I doubt that they will.
    Just now. That will change should he win the TdF.

    I've done that in an office of 5 other staff members (no cyclists). They've all heard of him and were able to tell me he won a medal at the Olympics. One even volunteered that he might win the Tour.
  • davieseedaviesee Posts: 6,473
    Pross wrote:
    I've done that in an office of 5 other staff members (no cyclists). They've all heard of him and were able to tell me he won a medal at the Olympics. One even volunteered that he might win the Tour.
    Fair enough.
    The people in your office are clearly better informed than in mine.
    Outside football they don't have a clue.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • rick_chaseyrick_chasey Posts: 49,978 Lives Here
    daviesee wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    I've done that in an office of 5 other staff members (no cyclists). They've all heard of him and were able to tell me he won a medal at the Olympics. One even volunteered that he might win the Tour.
    Fair enough.
    The people in your office are clearly better informed than in mine.
    Outside football they don't have a clue.

    That's because you live in Scotland.

    Anything outside of the contents of their beer glass they struggle with.
  • davieseedaviesee Posts: 6,473
    That's because you live in Scotland.

    Anything outside of the contents of their beer glass they struggle with.
    That's a bit contentious. And no smilie to indicate humour.
    I would have thought better from a moderator.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • rick_chaseyrick_chasey Posts: 49,978 Lives Here
    I'm in a bad mood. My work PC has died. BSOD everytime I boot up .
  • DavidBelcherDavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    According to those T0ss pots on daybreak all lie with Andy Murray. :roll:

    I can't help but think they've forgotten about Wiggo,or, more likely not even aware of his chances in the first place.

    The newspaper we have at work seems to have a similar point of view, one columnist in it was banging on about post-Euros, pre-Olympic noteworthy Brits solely in terms of golf, F1 and tennis [1]; I was just sat there thinking "erm, haven't you forgotten something?"

    David

    [1] This was in the Daily Telegraph. Nuff said.
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
Sign In or Register to comment.