anyone else like athletics?

2»

Comments

• FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    30justin600.jpg

Justin Gatlin, who shares the current world record and is the reigning Olympic champion in the 100 meters, admitted yesterday that he had tested positive for a performance-enhancing drug and faces a possible lifetime ban from track and field.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/30/sports/othersports/30gatlin.html?_r=1

Back in 2006

When Justin Gatlin and then Tyson Gay crossed the finish line in the final of the 100 metres on day three of the US Olympic trials, it was a moment as familiar as it was remarkable. They are, of course, two of the fastest men in the world. They are icons of US track and field. But not long ago both seemed unlikely to qualify for the 2012 London-bound team.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2012/jun/25/london-2012-olympics-gatlin-gay

It's a sh1t state of affairs, just like the white collar criminals in the city playing paper roulette games with no redress.

Royal-Bank-Of-Scotland.jpeg
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Should have a lifetime Olympic ban (as they all should) so couldn't give a toss if he misses out on the Olympics - sadly barring injury he is a nailed on cert anyway.

I don't see the need for a lifetime ban from the entire sport (denying them a living permanently) but the OIympics themselves should be permanently off limits for cheating scrotes.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Daz555 wrote:
    denying them a living permanently
    There's plenty of other lines of work he could do. Like becoming a Gym teacher.
    Or a weatherman.
    Or even the guy who does quality control on urinal cakes.
  • Silversladey
    Silversladey Posts: 450
    Athletics has long been my favourite sport both to compete in (when I was young and quick enough) and now to watch. I was a huge fan of Dwayne back in the day and thought he could be a real Olympic medal contender, unfortunately the moment he cheated I lost all respect for him.

I feel disheartened that this man is even competing but the prospect of him going to the Olympics saddens me. The fact that he doesn't stand a chance is unimportant.

Athletics like pro cycling is tainted by accusations, suspicion and ultimately positive drug tests, in my humble opinion a stronger sentence for cheats would help.