anyone else like athletics?

welshkev
welshkev Posts: 9,690
edited June 2012 in The Crudcatcher
this is a joke if you ask me, i used to be a pretty good runner and have friends who have and still do run for team GB. but this is a joke about dwain chambers http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/18578796

he has no chance of winning the olympics but he won his right to go on saturday (as long as he achieves the qualifying time - 7/100ths of a second i think he needs to run faster - in the next few weeks)

but they haven't selected him for the european championships where he was hoping to get the time. all because he's a former drug cheat who they didn't want to let run at the olympics anway :x

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Yeah, is ridiculous, Team GB has a bee in their bonnet about the guy. OK he fecked up badly, but is now clean and is doing a lot for the sport.

Was a good chance he'd get the time on a faster track too.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Meh, drugs cheat. Shove him - he knew what he was getting into.
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    If you mean this type of Athletics, then yes :)

dep_9362905-Image-of-sexy-athletic-woman.jpg
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    This is where i stand on the matter. Lost all credibility in my eyes, i'd rather team GB gave someone else who has always been clean and committed a chance instead.
  • welshkev
    This is where i stand on the matter. Lost all credibility in my eyes, i'd rather team GB gave someone else who has always been clean and committed a chance instead.

but that was years ago, every other country lets them serve their ban and then come back.

he's been clean for longer than he was running before he took drugs i think. he's done his time and is now regulary tested to prove he's clean...he should be given his chance i think.

just out of interest and a totally hyperthetical question, how would you all feel is it was steve peat who'd been caught taking drugs? would you be willing to forgive and forget then? or would you feel the same?
  • bennett_346
    welshkev wrote:

but that was years ago, every other country lets them serve their ban and then come back.

he's been clean for longer than he was running before he took drugs i think. he's done his time and is now regulary tested to prove he's clean...he should be given his chance i think.

just out of interest and a totally hyperthetical question, how would you all feel is it was steve peat who'd been caught taking drugs? would you be willing to forgive and forget then? or would you feel the same?
    I'd feel the same. It would destroy my opinion of him. I can't bear cheating in any walk of life.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    compo wrote:
    If you mean this type of Athletics, then yes :)

dep_9362905-Image-of-sexy-athletic-woman.jpg
    I'm only quoting because i like this picture
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • YeehaaMcgee
    welshkev wrote:
    I don't care. He knew he was not meant to take performance enhancing drugs. At all.
    He still did.
    There's so much nonsense in sport these days with lots of research and spending into "masking" drug use, that everyone is a suspect, let alone people who were actually caught before.

And if Stepe Peat, or Gee Atherton was to be found out as a drugs cheat, then no, I'd never sing their praises again. There's no telling at what time in their careers they'd cheated, or even through their entire careers.

People don't take these things by accident, and they know the consequences.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    welshkev wrote:

I'd feel the same. It would destroy my opinion of him. I can't bear cheating in any walk of life.

+1, if you can't compete fair, don't compete at all. End of the day, you've cheated yourself too, just don't see the point.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515
    He's done his time so to say - so they should stop being ar$es and let him compete.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    And yes, I do like the athletics, the swimming, the volleyball, the gymnastics... especially the gymnastics :)
  • welshkev
    [

People don't take these things by accident, and they know the consequences.

oh i know that, and one of my friends is someone who was stripped of a medal because of his actions!

me personally just think he's done his time, served his ban and now he's proved he can do it clean.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    welshkev wrote:
    he's proved he can do it clean.
    Nope. There's always that spectre of doubt.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    As there is with everyone.
  • supersonic
    Usain Bolt could walk the times team GB can lol. Many think the guy must be on drugs too, shadows seem to hang over all of them.
  • welshkev
    supersonic wrote:
    Usain Bolt could walk the times team GB can lol. Many think the guy must be on drugs too, shadows seem to hang over all of them.

always has done, michael johnson had the same thing
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It's running races. Like kindergarten. Not important.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    As there is with everyone.
    So, permanently kick people out when they're found of cheating then.
    Like I said, they knew exactly what they were getting into.
  • supersonic
    I guess this is the thing - if they know there is a chance of getting back into the sport, then there is not much incentive not to take drugs. I think it was the case a few years back where people started taking them because they knew others were.

However Chambers has tested negative ever since, has won the world indoors while clean, and now works campaigning against drugs. At least he is making an effort.
  • bennett_346
    supersonic wrote:
    now works campaigning against drugs.
    Reminds me of ths

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am-Qdx6vky0
  • YeehaaMcgee
    supersonic wrote:
    now works campaigning against drugs. At least he is making an effort.
    You know, the Shaman's Ebeneezer Goode was number one in the UK during the government's anti-drugs week :lol:
  • bennett_346
    :lol:
  • supersonic
    supersonic wrote:
    now works campaigning against drugs. At least he is making an effort.
    You know, the Shaman's Ebeneezer Goode was number one in the UK during the government's anti-drugs week :lol:

Naughty, naughty...
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    Unfortunately, this has retired now, but I would cheat by drugging her

_39983382_sotherton300245.jpg

Only way I could catch her
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • jndb72
    jndb72 Posts: 629
    How many other (clean) athletes did he cheat out of winning positions\medals when he was taking drugs. They don't get a second chance so why should he?

He knew the risk's when do was doing it, so don't bleat over it now he's been caught.
    2011 Canyon Nerve AM 5.0
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Disc

I might have alzheimer's but atleast I don't have alzheimer's
  • supersonic
    He admitted all the races and periods he took the drugs, and was stripped of all awards.
  • bennett_346
    supersonic wrote:
    He admitted all the races and periods he took the drugs, and was stripped of all awards.
    Were the people he cheated out of a win awarded the win in retrospect?
  • welshkev
    jndb72 wrote:
    How many other (clean) athletes did he cheat out of winning positions\medals when he was taking drugs. They don't get a second chance so why should he?

He knew the risk's when do was doing it, so don't bleat over it now he's been caught.

he's told them when and where so they get instated instead of him or like my mate get the medals stripped :(
  • jndb72
    jndb72 Posts: 629
    Ok, hyperthetically speaking....He beat's a fellow sprinter in an Olympic qualyfiying race. He get's to run at a major event, the guy he beats dosen't.....How can that be justified?

I hear what your saying about medals being given to other athletes etc....but some of them athletes may have missed an oppurtunity to stand on the podium and receive their medal etc etc etc

Just scenarios that may\may not have happened

Yes, it's comendable that he's now doing his bit for the anti-doping people, but he could still do that whether he runs again or not, couldn't he?

Cheers
    2011 Canyon Nerve AM 5.0
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Disc

I might have alzheimer's but atleast I don't have alzheimer's