Wiggins' Heroes Quiz

2»

Comments

• BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    I want to let it be known that I'm bored with your constant whining about doping when it's periphery at best...It's been said, so move on.
    And who do you think you are to tell other posters on here what and what not to post? Kim Jong-un?
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I want to let it be known that I'm bored with your constant whining about doping when it's periphery at best...It's been said, so move on.
    And who do you think you are to tell other posters on here what and what not to post? Kim Jong-un?

Oh come on Bernie, you know you really wanted to compare him to Hitler.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

Rick is taller than Kim, but yes, as moderator he does have a mandate to shut things down
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    I genuinely pity anybody who has ever had to sit next to Bernie at a dinner party.

that should be the outcome of the USADA hearing

BB and larry have to go and live on a desert island
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    These selections seem fairly obvious for someone of Wiggins era/nationality/riding style to be inspired by:

Cleat Eastwood wrote:
    1. Tom Simpson
    2. Miguel Indurain
    3. Lance
    4. De Vlaeminck
    5. Maertens
    6. Merckx
    7. Moser
    8. Sean Yates
    9. Sean Kelly

I suspect it's Armstrong, Indurain and Yates you really object to. It's petty to turn this into another Bernie diatribe. Post the graph though, that always makes me happy.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Suprising that Roche isn't on the list?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • BikingBernie
    iainf72 wrote:
    Rick is taller than Kim, but yes, as moderator he does have a mandate to shut things down
    But I thought that moderators had to follow those mysterious 'moderators guidelines' and generally act in an unbiased manner. Do moderators really have the autocratic power to shut down anything that they personally take an exception to or don't want to read?
  • BikingBernie
    These selections seem fairly obvious for someone of Wiggins era/nationality/riding style to be inspired by:

Cleat Eastwood wrote:
    1. Tom Simpson
    2. Miguel Indurain
    3. Lance
    4. De Vlaeminck
    5. Maertens
    6. Merckx
    7. Moser
    8. Sean Yates
    9. Sean Kelly

I suspect it's Armstrong, Indurain and Yates you really object to.
    Also Moser, a stylish rider but one who used blood doping to beat the hour record. (Which was managed by Conconi, who in turn taught Ferrari his trade). And Maertens, a man so doped-up that the Belgian federation tried to stop him racing for the good of the sport. Oh, and Merckx, the man who persuaded Ferrari, who was working with his son Axel, to take on Armstrong. A good set of 'heroes' for someone who once said:
    It's difficult but hopefully these guys will get life bans.

...If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is involved in any way in a drugs ring or doping or working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that - they shouldn't even be given a racing licence until they can prove that they are, through stringent testing procedures, that they are not involved in any wrong doing.

...The riders have got to take a stand too as a group. If it almost means that we're sitting on the start line at the next race in a month's time saying, 'Look, we're not riding with this guy' and put him at the back of the field or not start the race if there's any suspicion on this guy - if that's what it's gonna take then that's what it's gonna take.

...If nothing is done now and this thing continues and we get to next year and there's yet more scandal I can only sit here and do so many press conferences and try and protect the credibility of the sport and say everything is gonna be alright for so long before people start saying, 'We've heard this one before.'
    And, yes, there have been more scandals, and more press conferences. And yes, we have all heard this one before. :wink:
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    Biking Bernie wrote:
    Also Moser, a stylish rider but one who used blood doping to beat the hour record. (Which was managed by Conconi, who in turn taught Ferrari his trade). And Maertens, a man so doped-up that the Belgian federation tried to stop him racing for the good of the sport. Oh, and Merckx, the man who persuaded Ferrari, who was working with his son Axel, to take on Armstrong.

Moser's blood doping was legal at the time though and it's likely his career previous to the breaking of the hour was as clean as the rest of the peloton. And you're having a go at Maertens too! I thought your ire was reserved for the EPO era.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Biking Bernie wrote:
    Also Moser, a stylish rider but one who used blood doping to beat the hour record. (Which was managed by Conconi, who in turn taught Ferrari his trade). And Maertens, a man so doped-up that the Belgian federation tried to stop him racing for the good of the sport. Oh, and Merckx, the man who persuaded Ferrari, who was working with his son Axel, to take on Armstrong.

Moser's blood doping was legal at the time though and it's likely his career previous to the breaking of the hour was as clean as the rest of the peloton. And you're having a go at Maertens too! I thought your ire was reserved for the EPO era.

+1

Everytime Bernie jumps on thread I'm reminded of this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f68VXKMZT1Q
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • B3rnieMac
    B3rnieMac Posts: 384
    BrokenRecordBernie, never mind biking.
  • BikingBernie
    To clarify my position, I was simply stating which riders I thought were out of place on a list of 'cycling heroes' for someone who used to be as vociferous about doping as Wiggins once was.

I guess 'used to be' is the key term here. For example, I doubt that Wiggins still thinks that "If there's a 1% suspicion or doubt that a team is involved in any way in a drugs ring or doping or working with certain doctors, then they shouldn't be invited to the Tour de France - as simple as that". If he did he would be effectively arguing for Sky to be excluded from the Tour this year, given that Geert Leinders is one of Sky's team doctors, and there is much more than a "1% suspicion" that Leinders was in charge of monitoring the doping programme at Rabobank.

Leinders was team doctor for Sigma, Histor, Panasonic and Lotto before becoming team doctor for Rabobank in 1996. He left Rabobank in 2009 citing 'dissatisfaction with the policies of the new management of the cycling team'. According to Rabobank one of those new policies bought in between 2007 and July 2009 was a 'zero tolerance' attitude to doping, a policy that followed an internal investigation into the use of doping within the team during the period Leinders was the team doctor, an investigation that was triggered by Michael Rasmussen’s expulsion from the Tour de France.
    There is no doubt that between 1996 and 2007 the team used structured doping. For the parties involved it was the most natural thing in the world. The riders were allowed to decide how far they wanted to go, as long as it happened under the control of the team doctor. That is what you call structured.
    On Saturday Volkskrant ran an interview with Theo de Rooy, who was the team manager from 2003 to 2007. De Rooy detailed how riders were allowed to use doping products, while the team’s medical staff oversaw that the athletes’ health was kept in check and that no positive doping controls were returned by anti-doping authorities.

http://www.volkskrant.nl/vk/nl/3184/opi ... feit.dhtml

http://www.telegraaf.nl/telesport/wiele ... _op__.html

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/raboban ... ooy-claims

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/raboban ... ing-claims
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    If you can do 9 past "hero riders" who do not have any link to doping BB then carry on...

If not then do us a favour and shut up. This is getting so dull now...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    ddraver wrote:
    If you can do 9 past "hero riders" who do not have any link to doping BB then carry on...

That needs it's own thread.

(Probably been done before)
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!