Rucksack or Bike Panniers

2»

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    SimonAH wrote:
    I've never had panniers so I can't comment vs a backpack, however I'm now using a messenger bag (Timbuk2) and find it WAY better than a backpack.

A heavily loaded backpack (shopping) can be a nightmare to get on and off (messenger bag is super easy) and although not vented I'm finding no sweaty back issues either. Another advantage is that you can carry large flat things when required too, which is impossible in a backpack - and sometimes I overcome my prejudices and visit ASDA for the pizza counter :-D

You need to try a proper rucksack. Honestly in all my years walking I have never seen anyone in the hills wearing a messenger bag and walking is a more comparable activity to most peoples commuting than cycle messengering. The only advantage of a messenger bag is ease of getting them on and off (and getting a rucksack off is not a nightmare - getting run over by a tram and the ambulance crashing into a river is a nightmare :lol: ) and that's really not a very useful advantage unless you are stopping and starting all the time. And you can even fit pizzas in rucksacks believe it or not; I have no probs fitting in the huge Co-op ones in mine!

And I just cannot see how a messenger bag resting across your back can be less sweaty than a rucksack that is hardly touching your back - it makes no sense. If you aren't sweating with a messenger bag, you certainly won't be sweating with a rucksack.
    Faster than a tent.......