Rucksack or Bike Panniers

Brad123
Brad123 Posts: 86
edited June 2012 in Commuting chat
Hi all have been thinking of getting bike panniers.
I commute 10 mile on a hybrid, and Carrie lunch and clothes in a rucksack.
What is you opinion on bike panniers?
GT Avalanche for xc fun
Btwin Triban 3

Comments

• DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Pannier advantages:
    Lower Centre of Gravity = better handling.
    In warm weather, no sweaty back

Disadvantages:
    Good panniers aren't cheap
    Rack also required - racks if choice of commuter bikes.
    Less easy to carry off the bike
    One pannier or mismatched loading of two can give balance issues.
    Some consider aesthetics of panniers are offensive to bike lines.

I'd also note that motorcyclists tend not to use backpacks, so one might make a case for panniers minimising the risk of spinal injuries in the case of an "off" involving dorsal contact. I appreciate that a forward roll onto a folded shirt and an egg'n'cress Sarnie when decelerating from 18mph is unlikely to result in a broken spine.
  • Yukirin
    Yukirin Posts: 231
    I'm a bag man. I dont like things attached to my bike, it feels weird (ran panniers for a week before giving up) I dont even like carrying a water bottle though unless I really have to so maybe I'm unnecessarily sensitive.
    On the accident front, I'm pretty sure my bag stuffed with work clothes and a light jacket saved my back considerably from bruising when I had my big off.
  • Depends for me. I use a rucksack for anything that's gonna be quick and under 10 miles (sprinting throughtown). the flex on the rack and extra weight when starting off is annoying.

Any route thats longer than 10 miles and I tend to get a sore back so use the panniers. Or if I'm going shopping!
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Yukirin wrote:
    [...]
    On the accident front, I'm pretty sure my bag stuffed with work clothes and a light jacket saved my back considerably from bruising when I had my big off.

Indeed; as you experienced, some loads are just extra protection & padding, it's just that when I was taking a new but unboxed sink disposal unit home in my backpack, I couldn't help but think of an incident of a motorcyclist with spinal injuries after he landed on his 'pack in an RTC. I appreciate that the higher speed => higher momentum & energy, so please don't take this as a cue for a variant on the ever-popular helmet debate.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Rucksacks best for lighter loads -
    DrLex wrote:
    Pannier advantages:
    Lower Centre of Gravity = better handling.

Actually, this isn't really correct. Carrying weight on the bike has a bigger negative impact on handling than carrying it on yourself. The big advantage of the rucksack is that the bikes handling isn't affected by the load.

Of course, this depends on the load and the distance to be travelled. The longer the ride and the heavier the weight, the more the advantage swings to the panniers.

TBH, for a 10 miler carrying only lunch and clothes I wouldn't even consider a pannier setup - you'll hardly feel that on your back (though that said you'd hardly feel it on the bike either). The main thing is to use a decent rucksack with an airspace back - this minimises the sweaty back issue. Also avoid messenger bags. They are designed to be easy to access whilst still wearing them which is fine but it heavily compromises the actual wearing them bit. If you only need to worry about your bag at the start and end of the jouney (ie you aren't a messenger!) then messenger bags are pointless. There is a good reason why walkers never, ever wear messenger bags!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I hate having a bag on my back. There's a guy I see from time-to-time in a tuck down the Kessock bridge - he has a rucksack on his back that looks to be stuffed with clothes. The funny thing is that it sits exactly where his head and upper body would be if he weren't in a tuck - I feel the need to shout and tell him :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Brad123
    Wish I could borrow one just to see that it like. I like the idea of not having a bag on my back.
    I have a camel pack that I use and some days it is rammed and uncomfortable. :?
    GT Avalanche for xc fun
    Btwin Triban 3
  • tordis
    tordis Posts: 51
    I like my panniers - probably because I always carry everything but the kitchen sink with me ;) Also, they're handy when going shopping. On the other hand, they tend to weigh the bike down a bit, which is not really a good thing.
  • muzzan
    muzzan Posts: 203
    I'm trying to decide on this at the moment as well. Have always used a small back pack for my commute (13 miles each way) & tbh hardly noticed its there most of the time. But now I am commuting more I will have to be taking the laptop home (have always avoided this previously) so not sure what to do. Have had a rack fitted to the bike, but really not sure if want a pannier, esp as it would be on one side only. Tommorrow am going to try the laptop in the back pack with a dry bag wrapped round a towel for padding, think it will be about 3kg or so. Have also been looking at this:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/vau ... g-ec033643

May be best of both worlds, anyone tried it?
  • For getting 'stuff' from A to B on the bike it has to be panniers for me. If I need to wander about a bit when I get off the bike then I might take a rucksack, but even then I tend to bungee it to my rack rather than wear while riding.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    muzzan wrote:
    Have also been looking at this:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/vau ... g-ec033643

May be best of both worlds, anyone tried it?

I think you mean this - I just get a cannot display page with your link even though it is correct.
    vaude-cycle-22-2012-rack-bag.jpg

No - not the best of both worlds though. It would stink as a rucksack. Vaude helpfully seem to have published no images showing the back of the bag but it looks flat as you'd expect for something that would fit on a rack. A flat back to a rucksack is a disaster area. Bad idea using anything without an airflow back as per below. Goes a long way (but not entirely) to eliminating sweaty back syndrome.

berghaus_freeflow_back.jpg

Ultimately, it's a very personal decision. A lot of people hate the feel of a pack on their back, a lot of people hate the weight added to the bike and a lot of people are probably OK either way. You have to try to know what works for you.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • muzzan
    Rolf F wrote:
    No - not the best of both worlds though. It would stink as a rucksack. Vaude helpfully seem to have published no images showing the back of the bag but it looks flat as you'd expect for something that would fit on a rack. A flat back to a rucksack is a disaster area. Bad idea using anything without an airflow back as per below. Goes a long way (but not entirely) to eliminating sweaty back syndrome.

Think you are correct. Found some pics of the bag with the rack attachment off & it does look completely flat... so that me saved £65 then!

Think I will try the back pack I have at the mo with the laptop (actually fits in really neatly). & if it isnt too much of a struggle I will go with that because for everything else a pannier is definitely overkill for me. Another option would be to simple attach the back pack to the rack, but is it possible to do this securely enough when the laptop is on board?
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    Ignore the nonsense about one pannier causing balance issues, it is rot. A couple of KGs of bag is more than offset by your weight.
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    Ignore the nonsense about one pannier causing balance issues, it is rot. A couple of KGs of bag is more than offset by your weight.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    You'll get an awful lot more opinions too by having a search for this pretty regular question. For me tho panniers and a single is fine.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    edited June 2012
    Double post deleted : have you looked at carradice SQR system
  • hashtag
    hashtag Posts: 6
    sweaty back is the main drawback of rucksacks ;-(
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    If you don't need to carry much clothing what about a large Ortlieb 5l saddle bag. I can get lunch, a shirt, socks and boxers in mine. Have a tri bag on the top tube for other bits; tools etc.
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    Yes, don't do both.
    Rucksack is fine in winter as it keeps your back warm. Summer switch to bum bag.
    With panniers you feel less weighed down, no sweaty back but you will end up carrying loads of stuff you don't need 'just in case'. TBH I have quite a bit of 'just in case stuff' in my rucksack. Far more disciplined with my bum bag.
  • Brad123
    iPete wrote:
    If you don't need to carry much clothing what about a large Ortlieb 5l saddle bag. I can get lunch, a shirt, socks and boxers in mine. Have a tri bag on the top tube for other bits; tools etc.
    I like this idea as most days I am light Or I must take less lunch.
    Twostage wrote:
    TBH I have quite a bit of 'just in case stuff' in my rucksack. Far more disciplined with my bum bag.
    . Also carry a lot of stuff for the in case somthing gose wrong.
    GT Avalanche for xc fun
    Btwin Triban 3
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    backpack for me

panniers are Ghey!

ive got a freeflow berghaus bag that "supposedly" stops your back from getting sweaty - this is a lie it doesn't work, but i would sooner have a sweaty back then bags over my wheels
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • mudcow007 wrote:
    i would sooner have a sweaty back then bags over my wheels

Especially if you are built like Stan's dad

4f77521c_1296870535_randymarshsaltandoconsusbolas.png?width=385
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • muzzan
    Cycled in the 10 miles today with the laptop in a rucksack. Lovely day here in glasgow as well, was actually really looking fwd to the journey...

So my questions are:

1. Does anybody know a good chiropractor?
    2. Are there any rack-top setups that will take a smallish laptop (13in) and are compatible with a blackburn EX1 rack?

If not guess I will end up biting the bullet & getting a pannier set, just seems overkill for me as its really only for the laptop once or twice a week I need it.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I've never had panniers so I can't comment vs a backpack, however I'm now using a messenger bag (Timbuk2) and find it WAY better than a backpack.

A heavily loaded backpack (shopping) can be a nightmare to get on and off (messenger bag is super easy) and although not vented I'm finding no sweaty back issues either. Another advantage is that you can carry large flat things when required too, which is impossible in a backpack - and sometimes I overcome my prejudices and visit ASDA for the pizza counter :-D
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    SimonAH wrote:
    I've never had panniers so I can't comment vs a backpack, however I'm now using a messenger bag (Timbuk2) and find it WAY better than a backpack.

A heavily loaded backpack (shopping) can be a nightmare to get on and off (messenger bag is super easy) and although not vented I'm finding no sweaty back issues either. Another advantage is that you can carry large flat things when required too, which is impossible in a backpack - and sometimes I overcome my prejudices and visit ASDA for the pizza counter :-D

I've tried this before - you put all the weight on one shoulder and that really helps ;)

nah whatever works for you. I had no intention of going the backpack route when I got into cycling a few months back. Would hurt my shoulders/neck and give me a really sweaty back for the length of commute I do.

I bit the bullet and got a rear rack with ortlieb front roller panniers - basically like back panniers but smaller, and waterproof. 25l combined.

I've ridden with just the one packed with stuff and two partially packed...and felt zero difference in handling to be honest. In hindsight I might've gone with the bigger back pannier set so I could fit everything in the one, but not too bothered to be honest.

Anyway, when I switch from a hybrid to a road bike (I know...I know...) I'm seriously gonna consider the Carradice seat bag and mounting system - no need for a rack at all and they do them in plenty of different sizes. http://www.carradice.co.uk/index.php?page_id=category&category_id=13
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    mudcow007 wrote:
    i would sooner have a sweaty back then bags over my wheels

Especially if you are built like Stan's dad

4f77521c_1296870535_randymarshsaltandoconsusbolas.png?width=385

An outstanding South Park episode.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I tried a rack and pannier, there is more of a pendulumn effect and I hated it, rather suffer a sweaty back if I have to carry stuff in, in the summer if and when it arrives I carry in a load of stuff and take it home when I have to use PT
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    Brad123 wrote:
    Hi all have been thinking of getting bike panniers.
    I commute 10 mile on a hybrid, and Carrie lunch and clothes in a rucksack.
    What is you opinion on bike panniers?
    If you Carrie lunch and clothes, you don't need a rucksack or panniers, you need a Carriedice
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I've tried this before - you put all the weight on one shoulder and that really helps

It depends on your body position. If you're riding sit-up-and beg then I guess it would all feel like its on one shoulder, but I promise that with a.well designed bag, a lower stance and the cross strap the weight is centred and comfy as a back pack without the magician-escaping-from-a-straightjacket contorsions.

Plus it's a lot cooler. True fact.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    SimonAH wrote:
    I've tried this before - you put all the weight on one shoulder and that really helps

It depends on your body position. If you're riding sit-up-and beg then I guess it would all feel like its on one shoulder, but I promise that with a.well designed bag, a lower stance and the cross strap the weight is centred and comfy as a back pack without the magician-escaping-from-a-straightjacket contorsions.

Plus it's a lot cooler. True fact.

definately a lot cooler :)

you're right my experience was on a sit up and beg, hope my reply didn't sound too arsey by the way!