the jubilee cost over 4 BILLION !!!!! ?????

2»

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,542
    The UK output in 2011 was 2.48 trillion.

4BN in context isn't much.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    bearfraser wrote:
    AND !!!!!
    (How much is the Olympics going to cost with more travel chaos and on the box 24/7 even if we dont want to watch it,bring on the TdF and ITV4's coverage.)

Turn the channel over, go for a bike ride, no one is forcing you to watch it!
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • monkeydan
    monkeydan Posts: 95
    I spent a lot of money on a train ticket to Edinburgh so I could get the f*** out of London that weekend!
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro
  • timmyturbo
    timmyturbo Posts: 617
    GDP down 0.7% April - June 2012 with jubilee being a significant cause say wall street journal after office of national statistics release info also quoting the jubilee as the main factor .

as i said to some of you , YOU MUPPETS !!!!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000087 ... lenews_wsj
    Britannia waives the rules
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    timmyturbo wrote:
    GDP down 0.7% April - June 2012 with jubilee being a significant cause say wall street journal after office of national statistics release info also quoting the jubilee as the main factor .

as i said to some of you , YOU MUPPETS !!!!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000087 ... lenews_wsj

There is one muppet in this thread and he likes the colour orange. Where does it 'also quote the Jubilee as the main factor'?

If you want to prove a point, find the data. What the Wall Street Journal interprets from someone elses data is worthless. And when you read it, it looks pretty dodgy.
    The ONS said the extra day's holiday in June for Queen Elizabeth's Diamond Jubilee would have had a significant negative impact on the GDP figures, but an official said it was too early to quantify the full effect. Retrospective analysis will be carried out when sufficient data are available, the official said.

The unusually bad weather—the second quarter was the wettest on record—may also have had an impact on some sectors, the ONS said.

So, Wall Street Journal state that ONS say that the extra days holiday 'would have had a significant negative impact' but only that months of terrible weather 'may also have had an impact on some sectors' - which is patently ridiculous; of course the weather has had a bad impact on some sectors. How could it not? If you swap the phrases around they might make sense but as they are it looks dubious.

If this is what the ONS actually said (and I wonder if it really is) it implies that they haven't done any serious analysis of the data.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • timmyturbo
    it is what the ONS said in my ONS facebook update . cheers
  • bearfraser
    bearfraser Posts: 435
    And how much is this Olympic thing costing us mere wage slaves and never mind the traffic chaos
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    Careful or that sort of thing will catch on, along with moralising about paying your plumber cash in hand.

I think it was Portugal who recently did exactly that, getting rid of some bank holidays so people can work more. Perhaps they had loads spare.

I've never quite understood how a bank holiday "costs" the economy anyway.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • timmyturbo
    well thats sort of my starting point really bear , no Jubilee and no Olympics could of equated no austerity measures and 20 state of the art hospitals and 10 academy's i am sure . Not to mention that a .5% base rate stagnates recovery as the banks ( which we hate ) have no elastic to work with as such .
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    timmyturbo wrote:
    well thats sort of my starting point really bear , no Jubilee and no Olympics could have equated no austerity measures and 20 state of the art hospitals and 10 academy's i am sure . Not to mention that a .5% base rate stagnates recovery as the banks ( which we hate ) have no elastic to work with as such .

I am staggered at the naivety of this statement.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    timmyturbo wrote:
    well thats sort of my starting point really bear , no Jubilee and no Olympics could have equated no austerity measures and 20 state of the art hospitals and 10 academy's i am sure . Not to mention that a .5% base rate stagnates recovery as the banks ( which we hate ) have no elastic to work with as such .
    On that principle......
    Why not do away with Easter break? Summer hols? Autumn break? Christmas hols?
    In fact, why not go the whole hog and outlaw weekends, work 24/7/365?
    That'll fix it. :roll:
    Most people work hoping that they'll earn enough to be able to spend some of the cash on things.
    That spending keeps the economy afloat.
    When do they spend this cash? During time off.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Monkeypump wrote:

Careful - he'll just call you a muppet :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • dw300
    dw300 Posts: 1,642
    My favourite stat is, 1 in 4 fatal road accidents involve a drunken driver.

Question. Are you a more/less safe driver having consumed alcohol?

Ha, remind me of a stand up comic's story ..

Annual deaths from drinking - 20,000
    Annual deaths from driving - 10,000
    Annual deaths from drinking and driving - 350
    .. I'm not taking any chances officer!
    All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
    Bike Radar Strava Club
    The Northern Ireland Thread
  • timmyturbo
    Monkeypump wrote:
    timmyturbo wrote:

or staggered by the simplicity ?? whats naive about an alternative way of spending 20+billion ??

If you knew anything about banking ( and i know some but far from all ) the banks cant really cope with .5% base rate that well , even though a mortgage is around 4.5% , you FRAGGLE !!