I applied to be a civil enforcement officer will I get shot?

2»

Comments

• willhub
    willhub Posts: 821
    daviesee wrote:
    willhub wrote:
    What do you expect me to do? Get a job that my degree would have being useful for that requires 1 year experience in an IT role that I don't have?
    In one of your previous threads about looking for work I sent you a link to a site that had dozens of IT graduate jobs in the Manchester area, all paying much more. I found that site in less than 10 seconds.
    To be brutally honest, if you can't master Google, or be bothered to look then maybe you have found your level.

You do know these companies don't just take a look at someones profile, look for 2:1 and IT then go "YOU'RE HIRED!" Don't you? Perhaps if I make up that I've done x amount of years in computer support and have all the experience required I might get the job and shortly after get a "YOU'RE FIRED!"
  • asquithea
    asquithea Posts: 145
    It's not about making it up.

I did a quick search for jobs in my area, and turned up this example: http://www.reed.co.uk/jobs/junior-gradu ... d/21732058

Technically, all you need is 6-8 weeks of making some toy C# applications in your own time to qualify (bring some examples with you to the interview), and some reading and practice with the free version of SQL Server. Enthusiasm, transferable skills from your degree, and some hasty reading up on the other technologies mentioned can get you the rest of the way through the interview.

This is much easier than passing an exam, because the company has named all the things they're interested in. If you can talk a bit about them, you'll look much better than most candidates straight away.

Also, bear in mind that many job adverts ask for X years' experience when they'd settle for much less in a vaguely similar technology.