Bottled it

richie wake
richie wake Posts: 49
edited June 2012 in MTB beginners
Was ridding the forest of dean family route last night , on following a few riders that emerged from another trail , the one shouted go left to the the others, i followed up a bank looked over the top of what looked a steep downhill , i made the misstake of stopping and just could not commit to it :( Anyone else get this, i just feel like such a wuss

Comments

• ElliesDad
    ElliesDad Posts: 245
    I get that effect when I get to the Werewolf Drop on Follow the Dog on Cannock Chase. I'm a beginner and have done the Dog a grand total of three times and each time I psych myself up to do it but when I get to it I turn into a big girls blouse when I get to the top and end up walking down it, I know its easy - push the bars over the top, a*se back and stay off the brakes - but its psychological. Maybe one day!
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • are you not ment to barake at all?
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    ElliesDad wrote:
    I get that effect when I get to the Werewolf Drop on Follow the Dog on Cannock Chase. I'm a beginner and have done the Dog a grand total of three times and each time I psych myself up to do it but when I get to it I turn into a big girls blouse when I get to the top and end up walking down it, I know its easy - push the bars over the top, a*se back and stay off the brakes - but its psychological. Maybe one day!

You're not the only one, everytime I ride Cannock I always see people line up and bottle it and I'm unsure why, for a drop its not difficult at all. Rode there last month and a group of lads made a comment as I rode down it while they all stood and watched.

What it might be is the tight space with the trees at the top of the drop and the run up to it being very twisty so not allowing you to gather yourself and achieve a straight line with ease.

Easier said than done but just don't overthink it.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    ElliesDad wrote:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jGBTlc6-Z8

This?

Just do it, there's nothing that could really go wrong on that. Normally i wouldn't be so pushy but once you begin to roll down these you'll see there's nothing to them :wink:
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    The thing I find most difficult is the group of people standing right in the area where the Werewolf drop dumps you out, never a great idea!
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    The werewolf is seriously nothing to worry about. Take it as wide in as you can, then just roll down it, when you get to the bottom brake and turn.

If it was just a normal slope without the rocks there I very much doubt anyone would think twice about it.
    waby1234 wrote:
    The thing I find most difficult is the group of people standing right in the area where the Werewolf drop dumps you out, never a great idea!

This is the real issue. FFS, it's a slope, I'm going to gather momentum, I'm going to need some space to slow and turn you morons... if you want to watch someone ride it then stand off the trail well out of the way. I've asked people to move in the past when they've been stood at the bottom and normally they do, but I have ridden at someone before now to prove a point, it made them jump out the way very quickly :lol:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    are you not ment to barake at all?
    Kind of depends. If it's a really steep roll, no, you're likely to go over the bars or wash out. If it's a long steepish downhill you can keep the speed down by dragging the rear brake a bit.

But you'll be amazed at what a bike can get down, they are normally a lot more competent than the rider.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I bottled it on the first little (it looked bigger from the top) drop in to the B-Line at Llandegla last Friday. However, I waited until I was halfway down before bottling it and braked, going straight over the bars. Next time:
    1) I won't brake (as much),
    2) I'll have the knee pads (I'm buying this weekend as a result of the fall) on.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    ElliesDad wrote:

This?

Just do it, there's nothing that could really go wrong on that. Normally i wouldn't be so pushy but once you begin to roll down these you'll see there's nothing to them :wink:

As Bennett says just take a deep breath and go for it, they look harder than they are and its the mental attitude that usually makes you fail, this is one we do at Gisburn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yiEcsJj3qw
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • bennett_346
    1mancity2 wrote:
    ElliesDad wrote:

This?

As Bennett says just take a deep breath and go for it, they look harder than they are and its the mental attitude that usually makes you fail, this is one we do at Gisburn

That looks class fun! I gotta get myself over there sometime...

You ever managed to ride up it then?
  • It looks easy when someone else rides it, think its time to put my big boy pants on and manup
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    1mancity2 wrote:
    ElliesDad wrote:

This?

That looks class fun! I gotta get myself over there sometime...

You ever managed to ride up it then?

Got up once, we pre jump down it as well, get yourself over its a really good day out. (when its not pi55ing down!)
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • ElliesDad
    I know the Werewolf should be easy, I think the main thing that puts me off is the trees at the top. I can just see myself clipping the handlebars and ending up in a big heap at the bottom!
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • bennett_346
    Even if you did it's only a few feet to fall. But unless you're a clumsy f*cker you won't clip your bars :)
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    ElliesDad wrote:

This?

I don't want to be condesending now but serious? it's not even over a bikes length....
  • bennett_346
    I take it you were referring to him not me there.
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    ElliesDad wrote:

This?

I don't want to be condesending now but serious? it's not even over a bikes length....

Mmm that's what i was thinking?? Really does not look bad at all!
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    At work and youtube is blocked, is this anything like the slab at Dalbeattie?
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • bennett_346
    oodboo wrote:
    Nah it's a 2ft long slope with a root across it lol.

It's a bit of a joke naming it the "Wolf Drop" or whatever it is.
  • oodboo
    oodboo wrote:
    Nah it's a 2ft long slope with a root across it lol.

It's a bit of a joke naming it the "Wolf Drop" or whatever it is.

Ah right, suppose this is the beginners forum.

My advice, don't over think it, just do it. Falling off hurts less than you think it will.

Strava
  • milko9000
    milko9000 Posts: 533
    Speaking as someone who's still suffering from occasional courage deficiency, one bit of good advice is to keep your head up and at the exit, stop looking at the obstacle. I stopped having trouble with pretty much any rolling drop-in after getting into that. Some of the airborne ones are still throwing me if I don't have lots of space either side to line it up.
  • oodboo wrote:
    Ah right, suppose this is the beginners forum.

My advice, don't over think it, just do it. Falling off hurts less than you think it will.

I can confirm that should you go over the handlebars at the bottom of the Werewolf Drop, the soil you land in is very soft at the moment with all this rain ;)
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    oodboo wrote:

Now there is something that you don't want to think about doing - if you stand at the top for long enough you eventually come to the conclusion that the only way you can get down it is by abseiling.

But then when you ride it without thinking its fine.
  • oodboo
    EH_Rob wrote:
    oodboo wrote:

Now there is something that you don't want to think about doing - if you stand at the top for long enough you eventually come to the conclusion that the only way you can get down it is by abseiling.

But then when you ride it without thinking its fine.
    Looks scary from the top as there's not much roll out but you get a lot of grip on that rock so it's not a problem unless you get grab happy with the front brake.

Strava
  • ElliesDad
    Even if you did it's only a few feet to fall. But unless you're a clumsy f*cker you won't clip your bars :)

Lol, I am that clumsy f*cker and still getting to grips with controlling the bike. I just need to launch into it, probably while shouting "Once more into the breach my friends!"
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • Majski
    Majski Posts: 443
    I find the qualifier for the slab to be more scary than the slab itself!

That werewolf drop thing, can't you just line your bike up first at the top, foot on and roll it - get used to that before you do the 90 degree turn in first? Once you've done it once you'll wonder why it ever bothered you. Once you progress and start riding some harder tracks you'll find you can ride entire prolonged sections of track that are just like that
  • MDobs
    MDobs Posts: 167
    I don't mean to be funny about this, i'm no technical rider at all, but is there some sort of shortening effect of the camera on that warewolf 'drop'?

I don't ride man made trails, just xc on bridleways etc and am always intrigued by talk of these type of sections at trail centres. I was expecting something altogether more imposing, no disrespect to anyone who doesn't ride it. What is that section graded?
  • Siuxia
    Siuxia Posts: 5
    It's down as a red grade, and just a XC route.
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    I don't think the drop itself is particularly steep or long, the difficulty is the entry and exit which are both 90 degree turns either way. It's just a confidence thing though, get it right and you wonder what the fuss is about.
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    1mancity2 wrote:

Having looked down this slope from the top (and not rode down it yet...) I can honestly say it is a LOT steeper than it looks on video :shock:
    How you get UP there is just mind boggling.