Should I wave to Mountain Bikers?

Smokin Joe
Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
edited June 2012 in The bottom bracket
Out with my mate the other day and a mountain biker coming the other day waved to us and shouted a greeting. As is my custom I turned round, caught up with him and gave him a smack in the mouth. I mean, who wouldn't?

Then my mate starts going on about how the mud plugger was a cyclist too (WTF???) and I should have waved back and not "assaulted" him. I was shocked :shock: . Surely we haven't gone all PC and started regarding these people as equals, carry on like this and they'll be coming up to us in cafes and trying to start conversations with us next.

Now I know this is a sensible forum with socially aware intelligent members, can you please re-assure me I did the correct thing in disciplining the insolent pup and I'm not missing some horrible sea-change in social mores?

Comments

• Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    You were completely correct, don't want them getting above their station do we.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I only wave other roadies, and by 'wave' I mean an impercetible nod of the head.
  • Chrissz
    Chrissz Posts: 727
    Seems like a spot-on reaction to me mate - don't forget to include commuters - especially flat bar holding, Altura Night Vision wearing ones!! Unless they are wearing team lycra, have shaved legs and are powering (nonchalently) along in the big ring then all should be ignored/insulted/scalped!
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Reverting to type, smoking joe.
  • steelie600
    steelie600 Posts: 519
    No you should never wave at MTB'ers as were quite likely to fall off laughing at your gay shaved lags and equally gay team lycra, and even gayer full custon carbon road rocket with electrical shifters and cadence sensors etc etc that will only go...... hmmm let me see now........ oh yeah on tarmac!! where as were riding on tarmac, if we wish, down the side of a mountain, just for cracks, up if were mentalists, and doing effing great jumps cos we can.

So no dont wave at MTB'ers as self humiliation will only ensue
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    steelie600 wrote:
    No you should never wave at MTB'ers as were quite likely to fall off laughing at your gay shaved lags and equally gay team lycra, and even gayer full custon carbon road rocket with electrical shifters and cadence sensors etc etc that will only go...... hmmm let me see now........ oh yeah on tarmac!! where as were riding on tarmac, if we wish, down the side of a mountain, just for cracks, up if were mentalists, and doing effing great jumps cos we can.

So no dont wave at MTB'ers as self humiliation will only ensue
    And when you have finished communing with nature (fuckin' hippies) on your two ton bikes you look like something my dog sicked up and then started eating again.

Even commuters look down on MTBers.
  • steelie600
    ^^^ Good to fair that one

We don't commune with nature, we beat it up. We get muddy, cos were just big kids. And I bet my bikes only 2kg more than yours, has a feck load more features and cost about a 6th what your bit of plastic did!
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    steelie600 wrote:

We don't commune with nature, we beat it up. We get muddy, cos were just big kids. And I bet my bikes only 2kg more than yours, has a feck load more features and cost about a 6th what your bit of plastic did!
    You might need a new saddle though because you definitely appear butthurt.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Mountain bikes should be on the mountains.
    Road bikes should be on the roads.
    The two should never meet*.

One of you had it wrong and needs to be disciplined :lol:

*Exception:- Remote car parks but watch out for the dogs. Why else would people say they were dogging? :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    steelie600 wrote:

And anyway, WTF are you doing reading a proper cycling forum, away back the the darkside where you belong.

The nerve of some people. :roll:
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    No need "Joe" it's the commuters that have fcuked cake stop up not the MTBers, and that's why we now have bottom bracket.

It may go against the grain but remember, the commuters are the enemy not the "Fat tyred b@st@rds". :lol:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    steelie600 wrote:

But atthe end of the day, no matter how much you go on about mountains and roads and suspension and arse kissing the Athertons.................................

You still live in Crewe.

Thanks for coming - now pedal off and make that zummmmmmmmmm zummmmmmmmmmmmmmm zummmmmmmmmmmmmm noise you all make as you zummmmmmmm zummmmmmmmmm zummmmmm along.

Cheery, as they say in Guernsey.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    No need "Joe" it's the commuters that have fcuked cake stop up not the MTBers, and that's why we now have bottom bracket.

It may go against the grain but remember, the commuters are the enemy not the "Fat tyred b@st@rds". :lol:

*Applause*

Some excellent trolling for both sides here - well played those men! Welcome to the BB! At least we can unite in our dislike/pity for commuters!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Hooray for Trolls! Long live the Trolls!
  • steelie600
    Very true commuters dont whet the feck they are or want from life. Atleast I know I wanna try and kill myself down a black run in the middle of nowhere. Atleast all roadies know they are gay and have a fetish for lycra.Commuters are just... well.... MEH!
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Yeah! Commuters, what can ya say...............they're people that ride a bike to work. Does that make them cyclists?

Why is there not a section for "paper lads", they ride bikes and they'd be too young to come in here. :lol:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    daviesee wrote:
    Mountain bikes should be on the mountains.
    Road bikes should be on the roads.
    The two should never meet*.

One of you had it wrong and needs to be disciplined :lol:

*Exception:- Remote car parks but watch out for the dogs. Why else would people say they were dogging? :wink:
    Cycles should be on the footpath.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    What about the commuters (Not London types), workblokes bangin' along in quilted hi-viz jackets on a £79:99 full sus 50kg mountain horse ? I don't want to fight them if they say hello, might have to attack with mini-punp or empty a C02 canister at them and then mince off on my 3K Felt.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    What about the commuters (Not London types), workblokes bangin' along in quilted hi-viz jackets on a £79:99 full sus 50kg mountain horse ? I don't want to fight them if they say hello, might have to attack with a mini-gun and then that'll learn them - peasants.

Sorted your spelling for you - hope you don't mind.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Yossie wrote:
    What about the commuters (Not London types), workblokes bangin' along in quilted hi-viz jackets on a £79:99 full sus 50kg mountain horse ? I don't want to fight them if they say hello, might have to attack with a mini-gun and then that'll learn them - peasants.

Sorted your spelling for you - hope you don't mind.

S'ok, nice upgrade.
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Smokin Joe wrote:
    Out with my mate the other day and a mountain biker coming the other day waved to us and shouted a greeting. As is my custom I turned round, caught up with him and gave him a smack in the mouth. I mean, who wouldn't?

Then my mate starts going on about how the mud plugger was a cyclist too (WTF???) and I should have waved back and not "assaulted" him. I was shocked :shock: . Surely we haven't gone all PC and started regarding these people as equals, carry on like this and they'll be coming up to us in cafes and trying to start conversations with us next.

Now I know this is a sensible forum with socially aware intelligent members, can you please re-assure me I did the correct thing in disciplining the insolent pup and I'm not missing some horrible sea-change in social mores?

Were you absolutely sure he wasn't a CX'er on his training bike?
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    nwallace wrote:
    Smokin Joe wrote:

Naw, he had a Camelback.
  • Blancmange
    Blancmange Posts: 103
    Smokin Joe wrote:
    nwallace wrote:
    Smokin Joe wrote:

Naw, he had a Camelback.

And you took the hump.
    - Slave to the cadence -
  • DesB3rd
    DesB3rd Posts: 285
    can you please re-assure me I did the correct thing in disciplining the insolent pup and I'm not missing some horrible sea-change in social mores?

While I wouldn't be too hasty in condemning your actions I might suggest the inclusion of some constructive input.

For example you may wish to point the miscreant towards a location frequented by roller blading types or a shell-suit emporium; he’s already displayed an enthusiasm for one faded 1990s fad he’ll probably appreciate an introduction into the milieu of another.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I commute, ride a carbon road bike at weekends (and on the commute) and have a mountain bike.

My bikes too light and heavy and plastic and steel and I care too much about the colour of traffic lights on singletrack lanes in the Yorkshire Dales.

I'm confused and I hate myself........... :(
    Faster than a tent.......
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    I only wave other roadies, and by 'wave' I mean an impercetible nod of the head.

This^^

but If the MTBer waves first I might nob back if I'm feeling charitable in order to not hurt their feelings.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    edited June 2012
    its funny if i ride my mountain bike no roadies wave

if i ride my road bike, both roadies an mountain bikers wave?

what gives?

**edit** i got excited an lost the ability to type
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    mudcow007 wrote:
    its funny if i right my mtb no roadies let on

if i ride my road bike, both roadies an mtb let on?

what gives?

I have no idea what any of that means!
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574

This^^

but If the MTBer waves first I might nob back if I'm feeling charitable in order to not hurt their feelings.

PARDON?!?

:shock: