Treks and Specializeds Bore Me

2»

Comments

• roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Rolf F wrote:
    I don't think anyone sensible would question their effectiveness as bikes - but they are boring as objects (possibly due to their ubiquitousness as GTV alluded to). I doubt I'd notice even a Venge on a Sportive but I would notice a basic Viner for example.

It's like buying a Ford - a sensible, logical decision. Not so much a decision of the heart perhaps.

thats just the name though, bike frames are made in simular if not the same factory, you don't have a huge choice in terms of components, in many cases a choice of 2 or 3 really, all of which work the same way.

Cars have gone though the same progress as well, re many cars based of each other.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    gtvlusso wrote:
    woodnut wrote:
    There are many bikes of both brands I'd be very happy to own. Also (along with Giant, and other "big" brands) they are often stunning value for money.
    I don't really see how a bike can bore you, unless you've ridden it and found it to be cack?
    When you buy cornflakes, will you buy any brand except Kelloggs?

Ah - there is a difference between boring and cack.....

A bike may be good, but boring.

A bike may be cack, but enjoyable.

Ahhhh a bit like one up the poop chute with your missus for the first time?

This could also be; 'cack, but surprising', if said missus reverses the roles......
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,341
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    I have both a Trek and a Specialized

I buy something based on whether it can do the job I require of it and don't get hung up on labels.

#irony

I don't understand how as I bought the Tricross based on my commute at the time (mix of rural road, bridleway, sub-urban, urban and cycle path) it needed the clearances to allow mudguards, be a bit more robust for rougher ride I was doing and lower gearing 'cos I was crap at any kind of hill.

I got the Madone 'cos I wanted a fast carbon road bike and after trying lots of different makes and models, it was the one that I was most comfortable on.

Because... Trek and Specialized are the top-selling brands BECAUSE of the label. People think "ooh a Trek/Specialized, it must be the best."

In the case of your Madone, it looks like you did some testing, but one does pay a premium for the brand.

Really? Says who? I've always thought of them as something like the Nissan of the bike world: a safe bet, but not terribly adventurous.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    ShandyH wrote:
    ShandyH wrote:
    None taken Paul E. I see your response is full of wit and invention. Just like buying a Trek or a Specialized.

The Milton Keynes of the bike world.

ic1d4e40c7a4584dd.jpg

I have both a Trek and a Specialized

I buy something based on whether it can do the job I require of it and don't get hung up on labels.

Because there were no other options available to you? Deary me. It shows such a massive lack of imagination. It's like going to a restaurant in France and ordering baked beans on toast.

I didn't buy a Trek to imagine it; I bought on I liked the feel of, because they guarantee the frame for life and because it felt good. Oh, and I got a fantastic deal on a current year bike. So... I've no problem with that.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    It would be nice if bike thieves were bored of Treks and Specialized

But of course they aren't and they attract the wrong sort of attention

My best bike is a Specialized Roubaix and I never let it out of my sight, unless it is locked up in the garage

No such paranoia with the Orbea racing bike

Not sure about the Cotic Roadrat. They might have heard of Cotic but I've cunningly fitted drop bars to make it less crime-nice
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Rolf F wrote:
    I doubt I'd notice even a Venge on a Sportive but I would notice a basic Viner for example.

Woo hoo! :D
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Aesthetically I kind of agree that mid-range and down Treks and Specializeds are boring, but I don't think it's fair to accuse Specialized of not making the effort to be different with their higher end stuff - road or mountain. I probably wouldn't buy either because I'm a bit of a ponce for style over substance, but there's no doubting both companies are capable of making quality bikes.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    ...so don't buy one.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I have a Volagi

I rest my case.... :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    ShandyH is just a proper bike tart. Likes to wear his team Lampre kit to match the Team Lampre bike. Here's a pic of him, although last time I saw him he'd put a few more pounds on and grown a beard.

fat1.jpg

Typical rule 42 breaker......
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    They bore me too but it does the job and being so understated and boring, it probably wipes the smile off peoples faces when they unexpectedly get dropped :wink:
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I ride a Dawes if we're comparing boredom thresholds
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    iPete wrote:
    They bore me too but it does the job and being so understated and boring, it probably wipes the smile off peoples faces when they unexpectedly get dropped :wink:

Very generous of you to attribute your cycling prowess entirely to the bike :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Who cares what type of bike anybody has. It's all about the riding at the end of the day. What's good for one person isn't always best for others. If people are so shallow as to post what type of bike bores them then they need to get a life :evil:
  • Yukirin
    Yukirin Posts: 231
    I find most off the shelf bikes boring, but I'm from Essex. We buy stupid wheels, exhaust pipes that skim the ground and whale tails on our rs turbos.
    However, if I get into this racing game it will probably be on a 2nd hand Allez frame. Cheap, reliable, relatively good performance and I wont give a x if it gets trashed. It will be stripped of all stickers and sprayed a nice block colour that is easy to touch up, probably light blue.