Treks and Specializeds Bore Me

ShandyH
ShandyH Posts: 555
edited June 2012 in Commuting chat
Discuss!

Comments

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    So does the missionary position, but I've had some memorable face to face bonks.

Just sayin'
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    In an ideal world I'd be going out with George Clooney, but in reality I'd settle for someone who makes me laugh, doesn't look too bad, and puts the seat down every once in a while. Hence my Trek :)
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • chadders81
    chadders81 Posts: 744
    Specialized look stupid as well with their curved top tube.

But I've ridden one and they do feel nice. I wouldn't have one as there's too many around. I don't care if that makes me a snob.

(I ride a Trek).
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    ShandyH wrote:
    Discuss!

Discuss? Why? It's been done to death already, do keep up.

Bike snobbery bores me, but I don't feel the need to start a discussion on it.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Discuss - when you seemingly don't have the wit and intellect to formulate your own answer, just saying! (no offence)
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    well i have both - yeah im showing off, big whoop want to fight about it?

Paddy-Tanniger-Family-Guy.jpg
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • ShandyH
    None taken Paul E. I see your response is full of wit and invention. Just like buying a Trek or a Specialized.

The Milton Keynes of the bike world.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    ShandyH wrote:
    Oi. Don't knock the place. It's got a lot going for it, a lot more than a lot of run-down provincial towns have these days.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    ShandyH wrote:
    None taken Paul E. I see your response is full of wit and invention. Just like buying a Trek or a Specialized.

ic1d4e40c7a4584dd.jpg

I have both a Trek and a Specialized

I buy something based on whether it can do the job I require of it and don't get hung up on labels.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    edited June 2012
    I do have a Trek (an oldie alu USPS livery one) but it was a bargain, also had a Massi and a Specialized.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686

I buy something based on whether it can do the job I require of it and don't get hung up on labels.

#irony
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    #itmakesmelookreallywithitifiuseahashtag
  • ShandyH
    ShandyH wrote:

ic1d4e40c7a4584dd.jpg

Because there were no other options available to you? Deary me. It shows such a massive lack of imagination. It's like going to a restaurant in France and ordering baked beans on toast.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Ben6899 wrote:

#irony

I don't understand how as I bought the Tricross based on my commute at the time (mix of rural road, bridleway, sub-urban, urban and cycle path) it needed the clearances to allow mudguards, be a bit more robust for rougher ride I was doing and lower gearing 'cos I was crap at any kind of hill.

I got the Madone 'cos I wanted a fast carbon road bike and after trying lots of different makes and models, it was the one that I was most comfortable on.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • SimonAH
    Well I guess you have a point. My belt drive fixie is so boring that it just blends into the background really.

imag0221m.jpg

• Ben6899
    bompington wrote:
    #itmakesmelookreallywithitifiuseahashtag

#hilarious
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 wrote:

#irony

I don't understand how as I bought the Tricross based on my commute at the time (mix of rural road, bridleway, sub-urban, urban and cycle path) it needed the clearances to allow mudguards, be a bit more robust for rougher ride I was doing and lower gearing 'cos I was crap at any kind of hill.

I got the Madone 'cos I wanted a fast carbon road bike and after trying lots of different makes and models, it was the one that I was most comfortable on.

Because... Trek and Specialized are the top-selling brands BECAUSE of the label. People think "ooh a Trek/Specialized, it must be the best."

In the case of your Madone, it looks like you did some testing, but one does pay a premium for the brand.
    Ben

• SimonAH
    Cracked it! Much more interesting with a hanging basket!

imag0223t.jpg

Is there an FCN modifier for this?

• SimonAH
    Yes, working from home. :oops:

• gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Trek and Specialized make some of the finest racing and MTB bikes available - lets just get that one cleared up.

I would agree that their success and mass production has lead to a flood of their products out on the streets, they are great bikes, well developed, reliable and well supported by both manufacturers - hence they sell well.

So, is it the bikes that bore you or the fact that there are so many out there that they become passe?

Or is it the colourschemes? Admittedly both manufacturs and Giant have cr*p colourschemes - I guess this is to reduce painting costs/overhead.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    SimonAH wrote:
    Cracked it! Much more interesting with a hanging basket!

Is there an FCN modifier for this?
    I'd say +1. Same as the hanging basket I believe you have on your face.
    Great pic by the way.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    While mainstream stuff can in it's self be fairly dull, equally just buying an other brand to be different is essentially like dyeing one's hair red/purple to be alternative,

bike frames tend to be fairly close to each other, within the type at least. you have what three makers of gear systems, a few more choice with brakes but nothing is that different, road rim brakes are dual pivot, and so on.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Is this the 5 minute argument or the full half hour?
  • Kieran_Burns
    DrLex wrote:
    Is this the 5 minute argument or the full half hour?

I've told you once.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I don't think anyone sensible would question their effectiveness as bikes - but they are boring as objects (possibly due to their ubiquitousness as GTV alluded to). I doubt I'd notice even a Venge on a Sportive but I would notice a basic Viner for example.

It's like buying a Ford - a sensible, logical decision. Not so much a decision of the heart perhaps.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • woodnut
    woodnut Posts: 562
    There are many bikes of both brands I'd be very happy to own. Also (along with Giant, and other "big" brands) they are often stunning value for money.
    I don't really see how a bike can bore you, unless you've ridden it and found it to be cack?
    When you buy cornflakes, will you buy any brand except Kelloggs?
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    woodnut wrote:
    There are many bikes of both brands I'd be very happy to own. Also (along with Giant, and other "big" brands) they are often stunning value for money.
    I don't really see how a bike can bore you, unless you've ridden it and found it to be cack?

Ah - there is a difference between boring and cack.....

A bike may be good, but boring.

A bike may be cack, but enjoyable.
  • Kieran_Burns
    gtvlusso wrote:
    woodnut wrote:

Ahhhh a bit like one up the poop chute with your missus for the first time?
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • woodnut
    woodnut Posts: 562
    gtvlusso wrote:
    woodnut wrote:

True.... I once rode a truly awful BSO ( I think it was called "X-rated") MTB round some of my local trails. Boring it wasn't... :shock:
    Edit: I don't really see how a bike can bore you, unless you've ridden it and found it boring
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Well, I have a Planet X, so I can't really comment...