Went into Condor at lunchtime...

2»

Comments

• DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    [...]As I said, I'm still keen to try the Genesis Vapour Disc, if only I could find one in my size... seems they aren't too keen on selling them to anyone.

My LBS become a Genesis stockist this year and, being interested on the Drop Bar Day One Alfine Disc, asked about a trial. Was told that the demand was such, it would be to order only. Perhaps the demand for their bikes exceeds production capacity?

(Bought a second hand Pompetamine instead, as combination of impatience and parsimony kicked in.)
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    DrLex wrote:
    [...]As I said, I'm still keen to try the Genesis Vapour Disc, if only I could find one in my size... seems they aren't too keen on selling them to anyone.

My LBS become a Genesis stockist this year and, being interested on the Drop Bar Day One Alfine Disc, asked about a trial. Was told that the demand was such, it would be to order only. Perhaps the demand for their bikes exceeds production capacity?

(Bought a second hand Pompetamine instead, as combination of impatience and parsimony kicked in.)
    Thats just it... and every place I've been to thats a 'stockist' (!) says only to order, £100 non-refundable deposit.. whatever happened to display models and sale or return? At least in Condor they have one in every size to try... I'm tempted to use Evans online 30day or your money back scheme and order a Vapour Disc from them.. I can at least get a good weekend test ride in :)

[edit] its 90days!... "In the unlikely event that you are not, please feel free to return your goods within 90 days of the purchase date for a full exchange or refund."
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • optimisticbiker
    So, phoned up Evans to get clarification on their 90day 'money back guarantee' and the guy says "we've got a 52cm in the West End Store" (thats the one on Mortimer St - I ride past it twice every day!). We'll I've spoken to the store before and they said they didn't and I told him this. Oh yes thay have, give me your number and I'll check with them. 10min later he calls me, "they definitely have one and they know where it is so why don't you go in and look". So I did just that this evening on the way home (having left work 30min earlier to give myself time).

Sadly the Genesis Vapour Disc in the flesh didn't live up to my expectations. Its a great looking bike, but feels heavy (ok it had big tyres on). The 52cm (smallest size they do, though their sizing guide says 54/56 for my height) is fractionally big for me I think, with the seat in the right place for the raised BB I can't touch the floor even on tiptoe with my short legs so stopping is going to be a off the saddle job every time, and the standover height with the cabling on top of the top tube means I stand a chance of disembowlling myself every time too - just too close for comfort! The reach was fine, but being a very short wheelbase even my small size 7 feet had significant toe-overlap which is not good for slow speed manoeuvres in traffic. So I've ruled it out, and I think any sort of CX-style bike is going to have the same issues. So I'm back to looking at a relaxed road/leightweight touring bike....
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    so... the Fratello then?
  • optimisticbiker
    so... the Fratello then?
    test ride on Wednesday...so could be...