Went into Condor at lunchtime...

optimisticbiker
optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
edited June 2012 in Commuting chat
... and only just talked myself out of buying a bike...

TBH, still keen on the Genesis Vapour Disc as the replacement commuter if only I could find someone that had one in stock to try... but the Condor Fratello and the Italia both whispered 'buy me' and they are in my budget (a loose number between £1000 and £1500 approx).

I know I've been procrastinating for ages, but the current machine is rapidly heading towards needing major refit (wheels, saddle, BB, chainring all on last legs)....

oh ... and the Spesh Tricross Elite Disc is still on the table as an option too...

but the idea of having a bike built up to my spec is tempting...
Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I know I've been procrastinating for ages, but the current machine is rapidly heading towards needing major refit (wheels, saddle, BB, chainring all on last legs)....

All routine consumables though............... £250 to replace that lot is no real justification for a replacement £1500 bike however hard you try to convince yourself it is!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    You'll be back :twisted:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    edited June 2012
    Went to the Vulpine cycling fete the other weekend. Now seriously considering a custom build titanium Qoroz running disc brakes, space for 28mm tyres and room for 'guards as a winter commuter/training bike. ~£1200 for the frameset. So add £600 for a decent group set and brakes plus another few hundred for wheels. Could be an expensive winter!

EDIT: Just found this. Disc brakes are coming...
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Went to the Vulpine cycling fete the other weekend. Now seriously considering a custom build titanium Qoroz running disc brakes, space for 28mm tyres and room for 'guards as a winter commuter/training bike. ~£1200 for the frameset. So add £600 for a decent group set and brakes plus another few hundred for wheels. Could be an expensive winter!

Once hydraulic brakes trickle down into affordable road groupsets I'll be getting disc mounts added to my Burls. I regret not asking for them in the first place but it was an oversight on my part.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • optimisticbiker
    Rolf F wrote:

All routine consumables though............... £250 to replace that lot is no real justification for a replacement £1500 bike however hard you try to convince yourself it is!

Probably a bit more than £250 given the spec I want, though I have no doubt it could be done for that if i wanted to compromise. But really want to move to a lighter bike, something closer to 10kg rather than 16kg and drop bars too...
  • optimisticbiker
    itboffin wrote:
    You'll be back :twisted:
    Yes... first time I've been in there... and while its not Bespoke Cycles its definitely a step up from the usual LBS :)
  • Rolf F wrote:

Nonsense - there is always need for another bike.
    I have three - and only ride one. Because you never know when you might need those extra two bikes. :wink:
    Just do it, before your budget goes up. I set out to buy a £500 commuter machine, then after 6 months of testing and messing about bought a £1300 MTB instead :oops:
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    What is it about Condor bikes makes them so attractive? The reviews of most of them tend to be good/average at best and they are consistently more expensive than similar bikes by other manufacturers, yet I still get suckered into the idea of owning one again. Only a couple of days ago I found myself bidding way too much for a Moda (their ti) frameset on eBay, which thankfully I didn't win. I guess it must be the exclusivity thing.

That said, if you want that kind of a bike, then it's hard to fault the Fratello.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    The Fratello is a beauty - basically the perfect commuting bike.
  • Majikthise
    Majikthise Posts: 13
    Concur,now into Year 3 of owning a Campy equiped Fratello, and I'd buy one again. Great for commuting and long distance too. For long term value, imho that's perhaps where the reviewers miss the point.
    One more cheeky climb....
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Majikthise wrote:
    Concur,now into Year 3 of owning a Campy equiped Fratello, and I'd buy one again. Great for commuting and long distance too. For long term value, imho that's perhaps where the reviewers miss the point.
    I would have to agree!
    :P :P :P :P
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • optimisticbiker
    daviesee wrote:
    Majikthise wrote:
    I would have to agree!
    :P :P :P :P
    The Orange Fratello with Tiagra 10speed looks good... how much does yours weigh? I do like the curved top strut of the Italia and it does look sexy in that deep blue colour... A crude 'lift' test in the shop suggests they are similar in weight and both considerably lighter than my current commuter. No disc brakes tho, and that was on my list.... :(

Hmmm... lunchtime again.. its sunny outside, I may be some time..... ;)
  • clarkey cat
    mine had Centaur and wasn't a real lightweight but was super-smooth. Would recommend!
  • daviesee
    The Orange Fratello with Tiagra 10speed looks good... how much does yours weigh?

Ooooo. Tough question. A bit heavier than my Colnago which is around 9Kg so I would have to say @11Kg at a guess.
    That is with Chorus 11 speed, Flite Gel, Deda 100 stem & bars, Mavic OPs, Record hubs, 25mm 4 Seasons, full mudguards, lights, Garmin 705, 2 cages, mini pump and a saddle bag with spare tube, levers and multi-tool.
    Just a guess though so don't quote me :wink:
  • I have just got a Fratello, and it weighes 23lbs. That included guards and pedals, if that helps.

The build was not centered on weight saving , so not the lightest
    My has Condor bars, stem ,seat post and brakes- basic Alu...and shiny
    Campag Veloce levers and cassette
    Campag comp triple derailleurs
    Stronglight triple chainset
    Campag Khamsin wheels
    Rubino Pro tyres
    Chromoplastic guards
    Selle Italia gel max flow saddle

Still grinning like a child
  • optimisticbiker
    Mmmm well just spent 40min or so with the delightful Sarah speccing up an Italia and a Fratello with Tiagra 10spd compact and Aksium wheels. Both are ame geometry, are in budget and will come in around 10kg, the Italia just below as its 300g lighter in the frameset and £100 cheaper as well. Test rides next week. :)
  • daviesee
    The Italia is Alu. The Fratello is steel.
    Take your credit card for that extra £100. :wink:
    Once you have compared rides you will want the Fratello.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Went into condor at lunchtime..........

..............And shat in the till....!

I thought this was going to be all adventurous and crazy....Turns out the Op nearly bought a bike, well, if I had a pound for everytime I had 'nearly' done something.....

Thread is useless without the OP taking positive actions....
  • bobinski
    bobinski Posts: 570
    I am interested in this...
    http://www.condorcycles.com/2011-Range/ ... e.tpl.html

I have a On One pompetine versa alfine hubbed commuter. Frame is too small. And heavy. So don't want to just swap for a larger frame, no, I want something new and exciting!

I popped down to Condor this morning too. Lovely Squadra in yellow in the window.
  • optimisticbiker
    edited June 2012
    Mmmm well just spent 40min or so with the delightful Sarah speccing up an Italia and a Fratello with Tiagra 10spd compact and Aksium wheels. Both are same geometry, are in budget and will come in around 10kg, the Italia just below as its 300g lighter in the frameset and £100 cheaper as well. Test rides next week. :)
  • jonny_trousers
    I really don't see the point in the Italia for commuting or any kind of distances. If comfort is a consideration, and if you're looking at the Fratello then I assume it is, then aluminium is not your friend.

Apart from the fact that my old Fratello was too big for me and I had to use a 90mm stem as a result (which must have affected handling a little), it was extremely comfortable. I now have a Genesis Equilibrium, which has a slightly more aggressive geometry and it does handle way better, but I do think that perhaps the Deddacciai steel might just pip the Reynolds 725 for 'feel' - whatever the hell I mean by that. For my personal needs the Equilibrium is better, but that's just me.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Mmmm well just spent 40min or so with the delightful Sarah speccing up an Italia and a Fratello with Tiagra 10spd compact and Aksium wheels. Both are ame geometry, are in budget and will come in around 10kg, the Italia just below as its 300g lighter in the frameset and £100 cheaper as well. Test rides next week. :)
    Sounds great, though I'm becoming disillusioned with the Aksiums on the commuter. I'm sure that they're warping when I'm riding hard up hill, e.g. Dark Hill in Richmond Park, and then rubbing on the chain stays. It could just mean that they need re-tensioning but I'm reasoning that they need replacing with some nice hand builts :D

If you're going for a nice bike I'd spend an extra £100 and get some decent commuting wheels.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • clarkey cat
    I concur. If even for the fact that handbuilts look better.
  • jonny_trousers
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    If you're going for a nice bike I'd spend an extra £100 and get some decent commuting wheels.

Or, spend less than Condor will no doubt charge and get some decent hand builts. Just given the go ahead for a member here who builds wheels (ugo.santalucia) to knock me up some Open Pros on Novatek hubs. Only £200!
  • pete54
    pete54 Posts: 488
    The Fratello is the standout bike in Condor's range IMHO, and great value.

I'm on holiday in Shropshire at the moment with mine (and my partner!). Went up the 20% climb to the Long Mynd on Monday, which was somewhat challenging. The bike is just lovely to ride. I'm not really sure what all the fuss is about disc brakes on a road bike. IMHO they're ugly and heavy.

On another note, have you considered SRAM as a groupset on the Fratello? I have Apex on mine and I find that it's better quality than the equivalent Shimano and lighter.
  • optimisticbiker
    @JT: Well my current commuter is Alu with carbon forks and my road bike is Alu + Carbon forks + carbon seat stay so not too fussed about Alu or not tbh.

I like the Italia design, its sexier than the Fratello, but then the Fratello has some old-school charm about it.

@pete54: Was contemplating discs because I like to stop in the wet and fed up with poor rim braking.

Also prefer to keep the Shimano for compatibility with the road bike
  • daviesee
    @pete54: Was contemplating discs because I like to stop in the wet and fed up with poor rim braking.
    Tried Swisstop or Koolstop pads?
    Massive difference in the wet.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I've got an 09 Squadra and it is Scandium (carbon forks and rear) and I use it for everything from long rides (JOGLE) to hill climbing, to racing and is perfectly comfortable. My missus has the Fratello and loves it. I think that people like Condors because they are an old established UK company - family run, London based, with the history in UK racing. The shop (especially now) is fantastic and they do a good fit for you. Yeah, they aren't the cheapest out there, but you do feel as though they are very reliable.They design their own bikes and have a factory in Italy - they are original bikes and not open mould jobs.

If you were ever to race, I'd get the Italia, if you were commuting and touring, the Fratello.
  • optimisticbiker
    daviesee wrote:
    Tried Swisstop or Koolstop pads?
    Massive difference in the wet.
    Yes (have Koolstop fitted now)... and yes they are better... but nothing like a disc.

Its not a show stopper, and while I agree that discs do spoil the aesthetics somewhat they don't add that much weight. As I said, I'm still keen to try the Genesis Vapour Disc, if only I could find one in my size... seems they aren't too keen on selling them to anyone.
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Sounds great, though I'm becoming disillusioned with the Aksiums on the commuter. I'm sure that they're warping when I'm riding hard up hill, e.g. Dark Hill in Richmond Park, and then rubbing on the chain stays. It could just mean that they need re-tensioning but I'm reasoning that they need replacing with some nice hand builts :D
    Mine flexed enough when climbing to get brake rub but never enough to hit the chainstays! But this was on a CX bike so its possible the frame clearances were generous enough not to run into that problem.

Mike