Cycling with headphones

joshr96
joshr96 Posts: 153
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
Hello everyone, sorry that I have already posted this at the start of the year but I need this question confirmed for me.

I am doing the Virgin Money Cyclone Ride A (33miles, not a lot for you, but quite a bit for me) on the 30th of June this year. As I already said, it will be quite a challenge for me as I don't class my self as being in tip top cycling shape. What I do find helps is motivational music, such of that composed by Hans Zimmer. I was wondering whether or not it is a good idea to wear headphones whilst cycling in the race. I would only have one ear piece in as I am aware that you need to stay sharp.

What do you think, take them with me or leave them at home. Does anyone else ride with them in? :?
Carrera TDF 2011 Limited Edition.
Crossbow Hybrid
Boardman AiR 9.8 one day..

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    No its a silly idea. You need your senses. And its probably in the small print of the ride that you shouldn't wear them anyway.

Try humming to yourself.
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    This is always a controversial topic, but for what it's worth I never wear headphones on a ride. Being "in the landscape" is one of the real pleasures of cycling in the country. I love my music, but on a lovely day the song of skylarks and wind in the trees takes some beating.
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    Wear what you like its not a race.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    As long as it doesn't stop you waving at other cyclists i'd wear them
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Dangerous and irresponsible in my opinion. Roadrunners in the UK are not permitted to use them and will be disqualified as it invalidates race insurance. I would think that the risks on a bike are far greater ...
  • Dan_Giant
    Dan_Giant Posts: 72
    I love having music on while I ride. I find a bit of rock does it for me. Good bpm to get into so helps me keep going lol.
  • Dan_Giant
    Dan_Giant Posts: 72
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Dangerous and irresponsible in my opinion. Roadrunners in the UK are not permitted to use them and will be disqualified as it invalidates race insurance. I would think that the risks on a bike are far greater ...

In a race or organised event I can see your point, but it's no different in my eyes to having music in the car. Not that dangerous. It's about your own personal awareness IMO.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Its quite different from being in a car.

Cars have mirrors so you can see whats going on behind you without having to turn round.
    Cars usually are in lanes - so they don't need to be as aware of whats going on behind them. If they get overtaken - the overtaking car will pull into the outside lane.
    Cars are usually well insulated from the outside - so even if you haven't got any music on -unless you have the windows rolled down - you wont hear much that helps you ?
  • klep
    klep Posts: 158
    Many cyclists are against listening music while riding. Myself I usually have my earplugs in on any free ride. On races/events/sportives/whatever I wouldnt suggest listening to music as you will need to be fully concentrated on the race. Not only for maximum concentration on energy output but also due to safety for yourself and cyclists participating in the event.
  • Cant say I have ever felt the need to listen to music whilst cycling, I'd imagine it would be a mix of wind noise and
    muffled music, and to be honest with the knob heads on the road these days I like to know whats going on around me.
    10 mile TT pb - 20:56 R10/17
    25 - 53:07 R25/7
    Now using strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/155152
  • CambsNewbie
    CambsNewbie Posts: 564
    I personally would never do it. Been out many times when the first I've known of a lorry behind me is the screech of it's brakes. Then I can make sure I don't wonder off my line, can tuck in tight to the curb and if neccessary pull into a safe place to let it pass safely. With headphones on I'd never know it was there.

Went out once with headphones and hated not being able to hear what was around and particularly behind me.
  • acidstrato
    acidstrato Posts: 945
    edited June 2012
    I can't hear fuck all when its windy anyway so headphones don't hinder me in the slightest

if anything I check over my shoulder much more often when listening to music. I also don't get startled when rude bois with loud exhausts or crazy motorcyclists zoom past

being able to hear a car thats actually gunning for you won't save you, if they want to hit you, they'll hit you.

that said... I never wear headphones when riding in groups...I'm not anti-social
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    acidstrato wrote:
    I can't hear fark all when its windy anyway so headphones don't hinder me in the slightest

Well said
  • daxplusplus
    daxplusplus Posts: 631
    I don't bother with headphone - sometimes I don't hear cars wanting to overtake (on narrow country lanes) and that's just from the wind, head phones would make this worse. I like to know what's going on around me. Also I don't need the music as motivation - the road is enough for me but can appreciate that stuff like this is different from one person to another.

I'm curious to know how much the music actually changes people's cycling style .. I guess not a lot but the one time I tried riding a motorcycle and listening to heavy metal was not good - seriously started to ride like a loon as my riding style/speed was dictated by the music and not the road conditions .. would have been fine if it was Tubular bells but not Napham Death :roll:
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    If you are going to wear headphones , go the whole hogg and smear vaseline on the inside of you glasses.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Personally I can see both points of view, but never found they hindered me when using them in the past. However I have got so used to cycling without them now that I will go for hours and hours and you know what - my mind plays the music in my head at times (must be a sign of madness).

However, I think it very anti-social to weat them while riding with others/on an event - part of the fun of an event is the cameraderie and speaking/joking with the other riders - so a definite NO to this event in my opinion.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I was always very much on the anti side. Then I got a bit demotivated and decided to listen to Radio 4 on some rides using my mobile phone. I have to say that it has no impact on my perception of traffic noise. Even at full volume, if there is any traffic it drowns out the noise of the radio anyway.

Obviously, given the right kit you can deafen yourself to the noise of the traffic, which I think is bloody stupid, but anyone who says that wearing headphones automatically means you are doing that is talking utter cobblers.

And absolutely plus one re apreadings comment above and the others about it being antisocial on an event!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    I tried it once and didn't like it. I'm not saying that people shouldn't do it, it's just not for me.

I do sometimes have music or a tune in my head but most of the time I'm just thinking about riding or if on a quiet road enjoying the peace and quiet.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    Well I fit 1/2 way between both groups.

I have an earphone in my left ear - I leave the right free to listen to the traffic. I usually have some music playing but it is more background noise - you prioritise your right ear and the noise around you. I need one earphone in so I can hear the phone when my wife calls me to moan about how long I have been out on my bike.
  • acidstrato wrote:
    I can't hear fark all when its windy anyway so headphones don't hinder me in the slightest

if anything I check over my shoulder much more often when listening to music. I also don't get startled when rude bois with loud exhausts or crazy motorcyclists zoom past

being able to hear a car thats actually gunning for you won't save you, if they want to hit you, they'll hit you.

This. Once at about 18+ mph your ability to hear anything approaching from behind is severely curtailed - the windrush sees to that. And hearing a car coming up behind you isn't necessarily the important thing - it's whether they've seen you or not that matters. You can be as hyper aware as you want but if they're away with the fairies then you're screwed. I simply make sure that i keep an eye out for obstacles that might cause me to swerve (potholes and such like) and make sure I do a lifesaver, which I do every 30 seconds or so anyway, to ensure that I'm not compromising my safety. And the mad punk rock blasting into my ears makes me go faster anyway (compensates for my natural lethargy)
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    Theres only one thing worse than cycling with headphones on, thats cycling with headphones on with no helmet.

End of discussion.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    You should be careful if you're on a carbon bike. The electric current in headphone wires can set up sympathetic resonance in the molecular structure of the carbon: because cheaper frames tend to have imperfections that leave them less than 100% symmetrical, the asymmetric periodicity of the resonance causes electro-magnetic forces that make the bike pull violently to the side whenever a particularly loud section is playing.
    Worse, this effect can be doubled when overtaking or being overtaken by another rider with headphones: and if the other rider has their headphones on the wrong way round, both bikes will swerve towards each other, with potentially catastrophic consequences.

Check http://en.wikipedia.org/Carbon_Resonance_Asymmetric_Periodicity for further information on this dangerous and little-known problem.
  • NITR8s
    bompington wrote:
    You should be careful if you're on a carbon bike. The electric current in headphone wires can set up sympathetic resonance in the molecular structure of the carbon: because cheaper frames tend to have imperfections that leave them less than 100% symmetrical, the asymmetric periodicity of the resonance causes electro-magnetic forces that make the bike pull violently to the side whenever a particularly loud section is playing.
    Worse, this effect can be doubled when overtaking or being overtaken by another rider with headphones: and if the other rider has their headphones on the wrong way round, both bikes will swerve towards each other, with potentially catastrophic consequences.

Check http://en.wikipedia.org/Carbon_Resonance_Asymmetric_Periodicity for further information on this dangerous and little-known problem.

I have witnessed this, it did not end well.
  • ilovebigwig
    ilovebigwig Posts: 118
    I find that listening to podcasts is fine (and as distracting as talking to a mate you're cycling with which I think we all do without worrying) but music can be a bit much.
  • NITR8s
    Its nothing to do with what you are listening too, its more related to the fact it causes a limitation on your hearing ability, increasing the risk of you being unaware of a hazard.

Talking to a friend doesnt come anywhere near to having head phones on.
  • snoopsmydogg
    NITR8s wrote:
    Theres only one thing worse than cycling with headphones on, thats cycling with headphones on with no helmet.

End of discussion.

Guess you were wrong there since people kept posting. :wink:

Its an open forum and open to opinion, if people want to wear headphones it's not illegal same as not wearing a helmet so be it.

I wear headphones when i'm out on my own as I like to ride to a soundtrack, has it made me a worse rider or less aware of my surroundings? not yet. I was out the other day and heard 2 cyclists coming up behind me chatting which is a hell of a lot less noise than a car.

If im out with a group or start talking to someone on a ride then i don't wear them or take them out.

Am I going to say end of discussion? am I b*****ks since its good to see others OPINIONS :)
  • snoopsmydogg
    NITR8s wrote:

unless your riding 2 abreast and not taking account of whats going on around you.

Or should we all ride single file with no music in bright clothing and cower every time a car comes near (make that riding defensively)? Seems that would be the safe way to do it
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    It isn't dangerous but I wouldn't ever use them on a mass ride/sportive/race.

Have worn headphones in my left ear for years. Well, until they died a few months ago and I've not bothered replacing them. As an observation; with headphones I shoulder check more and without I zone out more, not great in the city.

I ride safer and more alert with them, so go figure.

Sorry what i meant to say was, you might as well jump under a bus, think of the kids etc.
  • ilovebigwig
    ilovebigwig Posts: 118
    NITR8s wrote:
    Its nothing to do with what you are listening too, its more related to the fact it causes a limitation on your hearing ability, increasing the risk of you being unaware of a hazard.

Disagree.