Got a 2:1

willhub
willhub Posts: 821
edited June 2012 in The bottom bracket
54% for Corporate strategy, disappointed.

62% for my dissertation, absolutely disappointed, should have predicted it no wonder I had a dream my teeth were falling out.

61.83% overall from all modules.

I worked FAR too hard on my dissertation to warrant a 62%, got really good feedback from my tutor then I go and get a 62%.

FAIL OF THE DAY - goes to Willhub.

Comments

• shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    well if you're after comiserations then comiserations, but to my mind you've still got a good qualification.

Maureen Lipman will be along soon to tell you about 'Ologies
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Will

In a few years no one will ask what class of degree you've got, and a 2:1 is a perfectly serviceable grade. People that boast about what class of degree they've got are silly... :wink:

Having said that, I know the disappointment, being predicted 3 As and getting 3 Bs at a level was definitely not a fun experience, especially with all the talk of grade inflation!!

Go out for a bike ride, how you've developed over the past 3 years is more important than what number is on the piece of paper.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Better than a Desmond.

TBH Will, nobody will care what you got in a week's time, including you. I was initially disappointed with a Commendation for my Masters, then I remembered that although a Distinction would have been nicer, NOBODY ACTUALLY CARES.
    willhub wrote:
    I worked FAR too hard on my dissertation to warrant a 62%, got really good feedback from my tutor then I go and get a 62%.

There is a huge difference between working hard and working smart. All the hard work in the world is for nowt if it's in the wrong direction. Sounds like you got a duff steer from your Tutor.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    GiantMike wrote:
    Better than a Desmond.

TBH Will, nobody will care what you got in a week's time, including you. I was initially disappointed with a Condemnation for my Masters, then I remembered that although a Distinction would have been nicer, NOBODY ACTUALLY CARES.
    willhub wrote:

There is a huge difference between working hard and working smart. All the hard work in the world is for nowt if it's in the wrong direction. Sounds like you got a duff steer from your Tutor.

Corrected that for you ... ;)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    all of the above - I got a 2.1 then a bog standard MSc and 4 years ago I though that was crucial. No one even asks what i got any more, in fact no one even asks where I went any more, they ask what projects I ve done, what I ve learned since etc.

A good growing up bit of any first job is realising that despite your bit of paper and your silly hat, there is a hell of a lot more you don't know that you do!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    They're all spot on, Will.

Congratulations on getting your degree, nevermind worrying about the grade. A 2:1 is very respectable, but there are two realities...

1. Nobody really cares (as pointed out by Mike)
    2. Anybody who does care, you'll be fine (because it's a 2:1), won't be able to see your actual scores.

Don't underestimate how much you have learned about yourself while at Iran Polytechnic... that's as important (or even more so) than the numbers on your results transcript.

Make the most of this free time and get on your bike - have a ride up to Ryedale, if you're currently in Selby. Lovely!

PS. I got a Desmond and 11 years on, I am absolutely fine.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • willhub
    What's a Desmond?
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    2:2

After the South African bishop.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I think willhub is fast learning the difference between what he deserves and what he is being handed.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    What did you read?
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    one things for sure, you're over qualified to be a mod.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • willhub
    I'm happy now with a 2:1, my dissertation got 70% so my hard work on that at least gave a grade that merits hard work.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    1st in a dissy is really good so worth disclosing separately on job applications. Report writing is a great skill (which I am abysmal at) which will hold you in good stead.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    willhub wrote:
    54% for Corporate strategy, disappointed.

62% for my dissertation, absolutely disappointed, should have predicted it no wonder I had a dream my teeth were falling out.

61.83% overall from all modules.

FAIL OF THE DAY - goes to Willhub.

well done... a 2:1 is good!

so I'm pretty sure I've failed harder today...

in that i'm 90% sure I've failed my Introductory Econ paper taken this morning (which i only needed 40% to pass...)

..so it looks like a resit in September for me.. I will probably kill myself if I fail that.
  • DesB3rd
    DesB3rd Posts: 285
    The world doesn't cares whether your 2:1 was almost a 1st or just cleared; >62% shows you not only mastered your subject but the practical application of cost vs. benefit.
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    88% of statistics are made up on the spot
    2:1 is a great reward for effort,now move on-well done.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    I'm not sure if you know this Will, but Richard got a 1st.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Well, you've still got a hole in your ⱥr$€, so that, or the degree doesn't make you special.
    Perhaps to your mum though. :wink:
  • CambsNewbie
    CambsNewbie Posts: 564
    Congratulations on your 2:1

I was the opposite to you, was on for a 2:1 and then totally balls-up my dissertation. ( the fact that I wrote it in one day and did minimal research on it may have contributed to this!) still I'm happy with my 'Desmond'.

And as others have said absolutely NO-ONE has ever asked me what class of degree I got. Even my A levels I only saw on my CV what subjects I did, not what my grades were. It's what you can do in the workplace that's important now, not the classroom.

Still, well done anyway.
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    Well done Will. You are probably just beginning to appreciate that all that hard work has earned you the opportunity to go on and work even harder.

I'm sure that your family are thrilled for you.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • bartman100
    bartman100 Posts: 544

I was the opposite to you, was on for a 2:1 and then totally balls-up my dissertation. ( the fact that I wrote it in one day and did minimal research on it may have contributed to this!).
    you wrote your dissertation in ONE DAY?!? Id be thrilled to have got a degree at all.
  • CambsNewbie
    CambsNewbie Posts: 564
    bartman100 wrote:

I was the opposite to you, was on for a 2:1 and then totally balls-up my dissertation. ( the fact that I wrote it in one day and did minimal research on it may have contributed to this!).
    you wrote your dissertation in ONE DAY?!? Id be thrilled to have got a degree at all.

By the time I did it I was completely fed up of studying and just wanted to work and make some money.

But nearly all my uni work was done last minute. I remember doing one all nighter, starting at 8pm I knocked out three essays before going to bed about 4am, woke up at 8am and did another before handing them all in by 11am. One was a 1st, one was a 2:1 and the others were high 2:2s!
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Nice one Will, good skills.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Congrats Will !! Clearly those microwaved Mars Bars did some good !!
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    bartman100 wrote:

I find it vaguely depressing under the circumstances that anyone who takes that line could consider a 2:1 a failure. It does highlight that degree grading has gone the way of GCSE and A level grading. Once upon a time, a first was a rare honour for the most hard working and bright students - not an expectation of the mildly feckless!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Rolf F wrote:
    bartman100 wrote:

I find it vaguely depressing under the circumstances that anyone who takes that line could consider a 2:1 a failure. It does highlight that degree grading has gone the way of GCSE and A level grading. Once upon a time, a first was a rare honour for the most hard working and bright students - not an expectation of the mildly feckless![/quote]

Much like a 2:1 as proven by persons hereto......
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    i was happy to get a desmond tutu (2:2) at the end of my degree i had basically given up the will to live (part time IT degree over 5 years)
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Don't worry, McDonalds are always on the lookout for graduates with a 2:1. Your future's secure.
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    Well done Will!

A desmond here...the only effect it had was £250/year less salary than if I'd have got a 2:1 (or £500/year for a first class) for my first job. Seeing as I was there for 3 years it 'cost' me between £750 and £1500 quid.

Since then nobody has given a toss!
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106

I was the opposite to you, was on for a 2:1 and then totally balls-up my dissertation. ( the fact that I wrote it in one day and did minimal research on it may have contributed to this!) still I'm happy with my 'Desmond'.
    *Pendant alert* Surely if you were the opposite you would have got a first? No wonder you got a 2:2! :wink:

Well done Will. I'd be very happy with a 2:1 (and a 22:35!). :)