Effect of 10 weeks off on Heart Rate

Secteur
Secteur Posts: 1,971
Hi all, not asking for advice, just thought I'd briefly post about my experience following my broken scaphoid (surgically screwed back together).

Before I was in good form (for me) and my HR rarely went above 190 even the steepest hills.

Today was my second "proper" ride since the accident and I did no exercise of any kind whilst recovering.

My heart rate on the exact same training roads is consistently 10-20boom higher at the moment.

I wonder how long will it take to come back down to my pre-accident levels? I note that my heart rate always has run very high during exercise, even when at my fittest, and my natural resting rate is always slightly fast (but again does drop the fitter I get, but still remains higher than would be expected)

Comments

• alex1rob
    alex1rob Posts: 95
    Interesting, I had a different experience after 6 weeks of no exercise.

I found that I couldn't get my HR up before my legs felt tired, I lost about 20bpm from my MHR.

Also my HR seemed to be pretty similar to before the break, but I wasn't putting out the same power.

It came back pretty quickly probably within about 4 weeks, although I still have not been able to get my heart rate above 192 and my previous max was 201.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Well today I did my 5th ride and found it pretty easy in my legs, which weren't the lumps of lead they were the first 4 rides, also my HR has gone back to previous levels I.e. 190 max (+++ effort) where it was 202 last week (I don't recall it ever being that high!!).

Somehow something seemed to click today and other than a sore wrist I seem to be at least 90% of what I was in terms of HR and legs, if not more.

Pleasantly surprised!