fork choice - is sooo mind boggling

2»

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    lawman wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    I've got all sorts of mods going on, currently have a fork with Tora 318 uppers, Reba SL lowers, Uturn spring, and an air valve atop the damper to add some ramp up!

If you can make a franken fork like that work no wonder you like rockshox!

Just they way I like them ;-)
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Sonic, Lol!
    that sounds like a slightly heath Robinson setup.
    I think I asked the other day, but I don't suppose you managed to find an exploded diagram by any chance did you?
    Going to need to service the Pike, and I'd like to see what it's all meant to contain before dismantling it.

My 55 was/is the TST2 air-sprung version. bloody nightmare.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    supersonic wrote:
    an air valve atop the damper to add some ramp up!
    :shock: You had me following till that.

I use an low pressure air spring in the void above the damper to add ramp up lol. I have nicked the moco cartidge for another fork though lol, but I have also upped the oil weight to 7.5 which has actually added some LSC as the rebound head must push through the oil first.

Do like a fiddle hehe.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    All RS forks have similar architecture so if you pull down a generic video from sramtech on youtube, dropping the lowers off and servicing the spring and damper sides is the same across the board. That's how i've always done my RS forks.

Sonic - sounds like a lot of fun making, tweaking and testing!
  • YeehaaMcgee
    You have one of these in the fork as well?
    Fiddle.jpg
  • YeehaaMcgee
    All RS forks have similar architecture so if you pull down a generic video from sramtech on youtube, dropping the lowers off and servicing the spring and damper sides is the same across the board. That's how i've always done my RS forks.
    Hmm. fair enough. I fancy a proper exploded diagram though.
  • CycloRos
    CycloRos Posts: 579
    Thats some serious suspension fiddle :) all that adjustment is fine if you use it but i 'd rather have something thats spot on out the box. So ss suggestions for new would be fox rlc or rev rct, interesting...
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    out of the box, I would say a fox is a better choice, set sag and go ride, very simple.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    Now, it's just. well. I'm not sure what it is. Air pressure seems normal, damping appears to function correctly, but for some reason the fork just wants to sit halfway through it's travel when there's any load on it, regardless of the air pressure. And sometimes on the occasional hit, the damper just decides not to dampen anything.

is it a 2008/2009 ATA fork ?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Yes.
  • mrmonkfinger
    You're aware of the ATA cart's "stuck down" problem?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    You're aware of the ATA cart's "stuck down" problem?
    Hell yes! All too aware.
    But that's not what this is. It's not stuck down. It sits fine at rest, but regardless of pressure, as soon as you put any load on the fork, it "likes" to sit at roughly 50% travel.
    Say you're doing some heavy braking, it'll compress, then only come back up to 50%. You can unload it, and it will come back to normal sag.
    Like I said, strange, and unpredictable, and a little hard to explain.
  • mrmonkfinger
    I thought you might be, just wanted to check.

That sounds like a far weirder problem. Knackered damper cart?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I haven't a clue.
    The fork has been back to Marzocchi several times, but windwave stopped answering emails and phonecalls, so I gave up.