I AM RLJ.....

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited June 2012 in Commuting chat
So, there I was on Friday afternoon - came home early from work to enjoy the 20 minutes of sunlight. I decide to take the infamous Wilma for a walk in our local park. The route to the park is quite straight forward - turn left out of my house, walk down the street about 200 yards, cross at the pedestrian crossing and into the park.

Note use of the word pedestrian crossing, this is a traffic light pedestrian crossing.

I press the button, WIlma patiently sits and we wait for the 'little green man' and the beep. The traffic stops, we start to cross, a cyclist comes flying through the red light almost taking out Wilma.

I say ' hey man, red light....' (In a not too bothered way)

He shouts, 'F*ck off you tw4t'

I shout, 'oi, come 'ere.......'

He turns his bike around in the street and heads towards me, I drop my dog ball throwing stick and start to walk towards him as wide as I can - he then turns around again and bravely rides away shouting abuse at me and calling me a w4nker.

Some people are chickens.....complete chickens.

Comments

• jrduquemin
    jrduquemin Posts: 791
    I would have shouted 'I hope you get hit by a bus you c*nt!'
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    just how big is your dog ? :wink:
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,318
    gtvlusso wrote:
    So, there I was on Friday afternoon - came home early from work to enjoy the 20 minutes of sunlight. I decide to take the infamous Wilma for a walk in our local park. The route to the park is quite straight forward - turn left out of my house, walk down the street about 200 yards, cross at the pedestrian crossing and into the park.

Note use of the word pedestrian crossing, this is a traffic light pedestrian crossing.

I press the button, WIlma patiently sits and we wait for the 'little green man' and the beep. The traffic stops, we start to cross, a cyclist comes flying through the red light almost taking out Wilma.

I say ' hey man, red light....' (In a not too bothered way)

He shouts, 'F*ck off you tw4t'

I shout, 'oi, come 'ere.......'

He turns his bike around in the street and heads towards me, I drop my dog ball throwing stick and start to walk towards him as wide as I can - he then turns around again and bravely rides away shouting abuse at me and calling me a w4nker.

Some people are chickens.....complete chickens.

So that's why the chicken crossed the road....

Amhereallweek
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Don't we get a gratuitous shot of Wilma?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,318
    DesWeller wrote:

That sort of stuff was all moved to Bottom Bracket.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    DesWeller wrote:

That sort of stuff was all moved to Bottom Bracket.

She's a bit of a dog though.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I hope not! I hope she's a complete dog!

(singing) Fiddledeedum, fiddledeedee, its Eric the half a bee!
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Why wait for him to come to you, I'd've run over to him and stuffed his bike up his arse and rung the bell so he could see what it sounded like !

Twat.

RLJ's are really beginning to hack me off more than drivers on their mobiles.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    That knob is why we all get tarred with that brush :evil:
    If it weren't for the possibility that he may have some friends and family I would say he deserves what is undoubtably coming his way.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you walked wilma with a decent sized 'fetching stick' you should have shoved it in his (front preferably) spokes as he passed....

Twice now I've opened the passenger door on the car to prevent cyclists RLJing, they can get quite abusive at you trying to stop them commiting a criminal offence!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    If you walked wilma with a decent sized 'fetching stick' you should have shoved it in his (front preferably) spokes as he passed....

Twice now I've opened the passenger door on the car to prevent cyclists RLJing, they can get quite abusive at you trying to stop them commiting a criminal offence!
    What position are you in that you know they're RLJing rather than filtering to the front of the queue?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015

If the result of that was to cause an accident you might have some interesting explaining to do. "Well officer - I deliberately caused an accident as I thought the cyclist might break the law...."

Of course, if you did it to me I might also get in trouble for kicking your door shut with my shoe so it might be best for all if you didn't do that again :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • gtvlusso
    Wilma reading the Sunday Times, calming down from her fury;

IMG_2552.jpg

It is a shame, just takes 1 idiot and all of us bear the brunt. It is silly season at the moment, the FWC's and nodder crowd are out in force. However, jumping this ped crossing is lethal, he was really moving at speed as the crossing is on a shallow descent. It is also the gateway to the local park, so, used by kids and families allot. I would hate to think of the consequences if he hit a pram or toddler.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    daviesee wrote:
    That knob is why we all get tarred with that brush :evil:
    <>

oh but we arent all tarred with the same brush because of people like him (*) and he's only doing it because it's safer than stopping (*)

(*) in a parallel universe of idiots.
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    gtvlusso wrote:

IMG_2552.jpg

It is a shame, just takes 1 idiot and all of us bear the brunt. It is silly season at the moment, the FWC's and nodder crowd are out in force. However, jumping this ped crossing is lethal, he was really moving at speed as the crossing is on a shallow descent. It is also the gateway to the local park, so, used by kids and families allot. I would hate to think of the consequences if he hit a pram or toddler.

she looks a little rough after it all !

Collies are great at sheep control....how would she feel about some RFJ rounding up ? :D
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    gtvlusso wrote:

IMG_2552.jpg

Another of your bikes in the background? :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643

Harry Enfield's Self-rightious brothers alert.

I'd get abusive if you deliberately opened you car door just because I was overtaking you in stationery traffic. Makes you a bigger knob than a RLJer
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    edited June 2012
    I was tempted to post this as a new topic - but I think here will do fine.

I am no angle (OK OK angel) - if a pedestrian crossing is empty with no-one nearby I go over the red light - I have never been close to hitting someone. But all this said - even I am shocked by the number of cyclists going through red lights currently. I would say close to 60% of cyclists are doing this now - and I use the 60% figure only for RLJ situations where I consider it dangerous.

Now I know the figure of 60% seems high(and I am concious of pre-conceived wisdom etc.) but I have taken the time to be analytical in my counting - there is just a high number of idiots currently out there who are putting everyone at risk.

I posted about making an average speed of 23.8 on my commute in one day (no I am not going to argue about the speed) - I was bombing it in - but I managed to stop at a zebra crossing with a person on it - another idiot flew past (well about 18 mph) me and almost hit a woman with a baby buggy - all I could do was apologise to the woman for the idiot.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    jonomc4 wrote:

I am no angle - if a pedestrian crossing is empty with no-one nearby I go over the red light - I have never been close to hitting someone. But all this said - even I am shocked by the number of cyclists going through red lights currently. I would say close to 60% of cyclists are doing this now - and I use the 60% figure only for RLJ situations where I consider it dangerous.

<snip>

Don't be obtuse....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • jonomc4 wrote:

I am no angle - if a pedestrian crossing is empty with no-one nearby I go over the red light - I have never been close to hitting someone. But all this said - even I am shocked by the number of cyclists going through red lights currently. I would say close to 60% of cyclists are doing this now - and I use the 60% figure only for RLJ situations where I consider it dangerous.

<snip>

Don't be obtuse....
    :D very acute. I mean astute :D
    Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!
  • Kieran_Burns
    jonomc4 wrote:

<snip>

Don't be obtuse....

it was just a reflex reaction....
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Definitely feels like there's more of it about these days (now it's "Summer"?). Had this happen the other day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lunuFVFYERs&feature=plcp Watch on full screen.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    Quite a furore in Oxford at the moment after a lad RLJ'ed at a pedestrian crossing and fully took out an OAP. Broken bones and everything. Tit.
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    jonomc4 wrote:

<snip>

Don't be obtuse....

OK OK I get it - Dyslexia rules K.O.
  • Kieran_Burns
    jonomc4 wrote:
    jonomc4 wrote:

<snip>

Don't be obtuse....

OK OK I get it - Dyslexia rules K.O.

It's just my CDO playing up. :wink:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    This thread could have been so much more fun with Jeremy Rundle involved. Not only was the crossing near a park invoking "won't somebody think of the children!" but he could have implored Wilma to get an airzound and headcam fitted.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Veronese68 wrote:
    This thread could have been so much more fun with Jeremy Rundle involved. Not only was the crossing near a park invoking "won't somebody think of the children!" but he could have implored Wilma to get an airzound and headcam fitted.
    A headcam? I thought 17 was the bare minimum.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • gtvlusso
    Veronese68 wrote:

Wilma; camera - f*cking hell! Thats such a winner! I can take her up on the downs where the laydees all go running - Wilma is the perfect height and generally gets allot of attention and scantilly clad laydees bending over to pet her......

Screw the children, think of the knockers!
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    OT. There was a story in the papers a while back about a bloke who used to hang around a supermarket carpark with his bonnet up. When a woman who took his fancy passed he would say he had car troubles and ask them to get in his car and start it whilst he fiddled under his bonnet 'fixing the problem'.

Turns out the bloke had a foot fetish and had a hidden camera in the footwell of his car aimed at the pedals so that he could film the woman's feet on the pedals. He got found out when he asked the same woman a couple of times, she smelt something fishy and called the police.

Wouldn't Wilmacam be good for upskirt shots. Bad dog!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    she smelt something fishy and called the police.

Must-re-sist!