How to bed in new brake pads

2»

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I'm not taking either side. I genuinely have no idea whether you're supposed to bed them in a certain way or not, i never have.
  • Shylock
    Shylock Posts: 98
    If it is similar to a car then I would bed them in. I believe it is to do with the initial chemical mix of the pads. The first few heat cycles make a big difference on a performance car pad, but only if you using them to there max. If your just running them at 60/70% of the ability then you won't notice.

As said not sure if this is the same for bikes.
  • vfast1
    vfast1 Posts: 98
    Jesus christ just use your feet!

MAT
    Winter Road - 2014 Boardman Sport
    MTB - 2012 Canyon Nerve XC 7
    Summer Road - 2012 Cannondale Supersix 105 Liquigas Colours
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Well, I asked you what you take on bedding in pads was, and all you've done is become evasive and insulting. So who's really trolling?
    I don't think i was evasive.If calling you a Troll (which anyone who goes in Crudcatcher knows to be the case) is abusive then you really can't take what you give out in just about every thread you deem worthy of your presence.
    Example:
    just because you don't like using something, or see no value in it, doesn't a) mean you're necessarily right and b) mean everybody else feels the same, quite the opposite in fact. Like I said. You just don't count.
    The same can be said of you.
    I've never said it's more than my opinion of GIMP.
    Now let me disagree with you and kindly pi** the f*ck off.
    That is just this week.
    Sadly this seems to be your usual response when some dares not to agree with you.
    Why were you banned again? Being abusive perhaps?
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    Kevlar pads are crap in UK weather, maybe just send em back and get sintered, superstars site said they were out of stock when i ordered mine, still turned up 2 days later tho.

As for bedding in I go out in the street, full pelt, full squeeze, rinse and repeat till you go over the bars (or maybe just 5 times) :lol:
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    ibbo68 wrote:
    Well, I asked you what you take on bedding in pads was, and all you've done is become evasive and insulting. So who's really trolling?
    I don't think i was evasive.If calling you a Troll (which anyone who goes in Crudcatcher knows to be the case) is abusive then you really can't take what you give out in just about every thread you deem worthy of your presence.
    Example:
    just because you don't like using something, or see no value in it, doesn't a) mean you're necessarily right and b) mean everybody else feels the same, quite the opposite in fact. Like I said. You just don't count.
    The same can be said of you.
    I've never said it's more than my opinion of GIMP.
    Now let me disagree with you and kindly pi** the f*ck off.
    That is just this week.
    Sadly this seems to be your usual response when some dares not to agree with you.
    ^^ The GIMP comment was because he would not allow me my opinion of a piece of software.
    I've offered you twice now, to explain your understanding of brake pad bedding in. Instead, you keep avoiding the issue and try to start an argument.
    It's actually kind of cute :lol:
  • bennett_346
    Woah there sailor...
  • YeehaaMcgee
    He is though. Like a feisty little kitten with a piece of string. It knows it HAS to kill the string, but it doesn't know why, or how.
    But while it's trying, everyone's looking on and having a little giggle.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Mojo_666 wrote:
    Kevlar pads are crap in UK weather, maybe just send em back and get sintered, superstars site said they were out of stock when i ordered mine, still turned up 2 days later tho.

As for bedding in I go out in the street, full pelt, full squeeze, rinse and repeat till you go over the bars (or maybe just 5 times) :lol:

Yeah I emailed them and they said to expect them at the end of June, but I can't wait that long. As I said though, I think the stock pads were organic and they lasted long enough so I can only hope the kevlar pads last longer! Its the first time I've ever had to change pads on a bike, but I've only really started using the last 8 months - a year.
  • steelie600
    steelie600 Posts: 519
    He is though. Like a feisty little kitten with a piece of string. It knows it HAS to kill the string, but it doesn't know why, or how.
    But while it's trying, everyone's looking on and having a little giggle.

He can be the third test chimp in our brake temperature roadtest sciency thingy. (he can have the bike with cable operated Zoom brakes)
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    ibbo68 wrote:

don't be drawn into the keyboard warriors arguments , anyone that knows him will tell you he is a prick in real life to, that's why he spends all his time on here trying to be the hard man . :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Greer_ wrote:
    Mojo_666 wrote:

Yeah I emailed them and they said to expect them at the end of June, but I can't wait that long. As I said though, I think the stock pads were organic and they lasted long enough so I can only hope the kevlar pads last longer! Its the first time I've ever had to change pads on a bike, but I've only really started using the last 8 months - a year.
    The kevlar pads are excellent. I am equally sure that in extremely nasty conditions sintered will last longer.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    omegas wrote:
    ibbo68 wrote:

don't be drawn into the keyboard warriors arguments , anyone that knows him will tell you he is a prick in real life to, that's why he spends all his time on here trying to be the hard man . :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Awesome work there keyboard warrior / internet hypocrite.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    omegas wrote:
    Little Dick syndrome 8)
    steelie600 wrote:
    He can be the third test chimp in our brake temperature roadtest sciency thingy. (he can have the bike with cable operated Zoom brakes)
    Is that the big hill-see how hot the rotors get test? Did it about 2 years ago...you'll be surprised 8)
    I've offered you twice now, to explain your understanding of brake pad bedding in. Instead, you keep avoiding the issue and try to start an argument.
    I'm doing neither.You however are just continuing your usual trolling behaviour by trying to get a bite :wink: I could try to explain my understanding of the bedding in procedure but:
    1.You wouldn't agree,as it goes against your limited understanding.
    2.You wouldn't agree,as it goes against your limited understanding
    3.You wouldn't agree,as it goes...you get the picture.
    I could also give you a manufacturers explanation of the bedding in procedure but:
    see steps 1 to 3 above.
    You are in your own little way though quite entertaining :lol:
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Reported, since you continue to refuse to give your understanding of bedding in brakes, and are just trying to start an argument.
    You're not actually contributing anything to the topic at hand, even after several requests to do so.
  • bennett_346
    You do realise you can be banned for misusing the....

Don't get drawn in, don't get drawn in...
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    ibbo68 wrote:
    omegas wrote:
    Little Dick syndrome 8)
    steelie600 wrote:
    Is that the big hill-see how hot the rotors get test? Did it about 2 years ago...you'll be surprised 8)
    I'm doing neither.You however are just continuing your usual trolling behaviour by trying to get a bite :wink: I could try to explain my understanding of the bedding in procedure but:
    1.You wouldn't agree,as it goes against your limited understanding.
    2.You wouldn't agree,as it goes against your limited understanding
    3.You wouldn't agree,as it goes...you get the picture.
    I could also give you a manufacturers explanation of the bedding in procedure but:
    see steps 1 to 3 above.
    You are in your own little way though quite entertaining :lol:

And as yet I have seen nothing from you to support you ideas other than dissing other posters.

Put up or shut up.

Like what was the results of your test? Or have you forgotten?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown