How to bed in new brake pads

Greer_
Greer_ Posts: 1,716
edited June 2012 in MTB general
I've just ordered some Kevlar pads from superstar. The usual thing to do seems to be find a hill and do about 20 hard stops. I've also read different things about pouring water on them afterwards, but I'm not sure of the point. So I'm just looking for all your methods.

Also, do I just clean the rotors with isopropyl? No need to sand them or anything? I have 70% isopropyl wipes, I'm gussing they'll be fine? Thanks :D

Comments

• sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    edited June 2012
    Superstar recommend the stops/water thing.It's all about rapid heat/cooling to bed the pads/rotor.
    I've done both stops/stops and water and TBH as long as you get enough heat on the pads/rotor there's not much difference.
    As long as you do enough to heat up the pads/rotors without locking the wheels,you'll be OK.I find 10-15 hard stops on each brake works 8)
    IME Kevlar SS pads last about 10 miles anyway so bedding in didn't help :wink:
    As for wiping rotors with alcohol..maybe if they're dirty/contaminated otherwise no reason to.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No need to clean the rotors unless they have something on them to clean off.
    As for bedding in, I just ride, works for me.
    And please, please don't sand rotors.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    ps mine have lasted really well. Previously used sintered and organic - IMO stop as well as organic, but can't tell how long they'll last yet, but it's somewhat further than 10 miles. I don't count, but based on my nerdy gps hugging friends a good few hundred so far and minimal wear.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Greer_
    Yeah I'm pretty sure I got some mineral oil on them, so may as well clean them. They were out of stock of sintered pads and I've got barely any material left on the pads so didn't have a choice! Just means no riding this weekend :( Thanks, was all I wanted to know! :D

That's good to hear CD. I assume the standard pads on my tektro brakes were organic, and they've lasted a good 1000 miles in the last year. Mind you, I probably should've changed them 100 miles ago.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Just ride them. They'll bed in of their own accord soon enough - all that really happens is that the pads, and to a lesser extent, disc, wear down slightly to key together better.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Just ride them. They'll bed in of their own accord soon enough - all that really happens is that the pads, and to a lesser extent, disc, wear down slightly to key together better.
    This is what i've always done, just ride as normal and they bed in themselves. Had a good one today where i was complaining to my mate that they weren't stopping me well then tried to show him right at the moment they decided to become powerful and wound up endo-ing for 6ft :roll:
  • sniper68
    I suppose it all depends on where you are.If I put pads in and just ride I might get away with it if it's dry.If wet the Millstone grit of the Dark Peak is just like grinding paste and will eat pads in less than 20 miles if not bedded in :? Kevlar pads just don't cut it unless it's really dry(not common in British summer-time :D ) Even Superstar agree,page 3 Kevlar pads reviews:
    by paul ibbotson Date Added: Friday 07 August, 2009
    After 18 months trouble free use of SS sintered pads i decided to give kevlar a go in my Juicy Ultimates.Unfortunately a combination of the wet and good old Dark Peak grit ate the pads after 1 dry and 1 wet ride.I\'ll continue with sintered from now on.
    One good point,on the 1st ride(dry0they were brilliant.

Superstar Edit: I have to agree with you for Peak district use Sintered is the way to go. The rock type is millstone grit and as the name implies it is very abrasive. Use the hardest pads possible!

Rating: 2 of 5 Stars! [2 of 5 Stars!]
    Even when fully bedded I get nowhere near 1000miles out of sintered....probably more like 250 in summer and half that in winter :cry:
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Bedding in won't decrease the rate they wear out.
  • sniper68
    Bedding in won't decrease the rate they wear out.
    OK whatever you say :roll:
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Well, bedding in means that they wear out slightly, so that the pad surface and the disc surface fit together perfectly.
    Wearing a pad down can't possibly cause it to wear any slower.
    If the grit is causing pads to wear down so quickly, then they would bed in after a handful of stops.

What's your logic?
  • sniper68
    If the grit is causing pads to wear down so quickly, then they would bed in after a handful of stops.
    What's your logic?
    Not if they're down to the metal before they bed in.I trashed a set of Kevlar in 7 very wet miles but I'll discount them as they might have been a bad pair and were fitted on the trail so were wet from the off.
    Not bedded in 20 miles.(on average)
    Bedded in 125-250 miles.(on average)
    So IME pads that are bedded in previous to going out on the trail last up to 10 times longer,that's my logic.
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    The reason for bedding them in is to get the proper performance and lifetime out of them that they were designed for. The process should be specified by the manufacturer after extensive testing based on the pad's materials/design.

I follow what the manufactures tell you to do and it works , when you dont they fail.

Take advice off a forum seeing some of the things people put on here (apart from the mods), well you can make your own mind up :lol:
  • YeehaaMcgee
    ibbo68 wrote:
    Not if they're down to the metal before they bed in.
    Eh? That can't happen. They will have bedded in at some (very early) point between being brand new and being totally worn out.
    There is just no way they can reach the metal without being thoroughly bedded in!
  • sniper68
    Do you know what as usual you're right and I sit here and bask in your total awesomeness.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I just think you may have misunderstood what bedding in entails.
  • sniper68
    edited June 2012
    I just think you may have misunderstood what bedding in entails.
    I know exactly what bedding in entails thank you.However if i didn't quite understand what it entailed I think I'd be inclined to email a pad manufacturer(which I did in the instance of a pad wearing out in 7 miles) for clarification :wink:
    I would enlighten you as to said manufacturers' thoughts on the matter but you(being you) would probably disagree with them :wink:
  • b45her
    b45her Posts: 147
    iv'e never bedded in a set of pads ever and mine last bloody ages ,ive done 10 days in morzine and 3 months domestic riding on a single set of pads .

i'm a strong believer in the slap em in and ride philosophy .
    ribble sportive for the black stuff

Canyon Strive AL 8.0 for the brown and green stuff.
  • Greer_
    b45her wrote:
    iv'e never bedded in a set of pads ever and mine last bloody ages ,ive done 10 days in morzine and 3 months domestic riding on a single set of pads .

Yep I understand the reason behind bedding them in. It's fine if your straight onto the bike and on a trail, so you're using your brakes. But if I pop them in and ride, I've got about 4-5miles on the road so little braking. I live on a hill so I may as well do a few hard stops. Not convinced about the water though.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    ibbo68 wrote:
    I know exactly what bedding entails thank you.
    :roll:
    I give up, you're a lost cause.
  • bennett_346
    Water is only to give a guide on whether the pads and rotor are hot enough, says superstar.
  • Greer_
    Water is only to give a guide on whether the pads and rotor are hot enough, says superstar.

• sniper68
    ibbo68 wrote:
    And you sir are a (not as clever as you seem to think you are) Troll.Every Forum has one.Maybe it's actually you on every single Forum?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    ibbo68 wrote:
    ibbo68 wrote:
    And you sir are a (not as clever as you seem to think you are) Troll.Every Forum has one.Maybe it's actually you on every single Forum?
    Well, I asked you what you take on bedding in pads was, and all you've done is become evasive and insulting. So who's really trolling?
  • cooldad
    ibbo68 wrote:
    ibbo68 wrote:
    However annoying, irritating, abrasive, boorish, displeasing, distressing, disturbing, exasperating, galling, maddening, perturbing, plaguesome, provocative, vexatious, bothersome, galling, nettlesome, pesky, pestiferous, disagreeable and downright trolly master Mcgee may be, in this case he is correct.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    You forgot horny.
  • cooldad
    You said that was our secret.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • b45her wrote:

+1 except for the Morzine thingy but if someone wants to pay for me to test it.................
    Seriously though, unless getting your pads stinking hot in some way changes their chemical structure and thus life expectancy (of the pads), I can not see why just stick em in and ride does not have the same bedding in effect all be it it takes a little longer to get them to full efficiency.
    A comment from someone in the industry who actually knows what they are talking about may be helpful!
  • bennett_346
    "Failure to follow these procedures may result in brake judder, excessive noise, or other difficulties in bedding-in the new brake pads. The pads need a fresh surface to lay down an even transfer film. Residue from the previous pad compound on the surface or an irregular surface on a used rotor will cause the pads to grip-slip-grip-slip as they pass over the rotor surface under pressure. The resulting vibration will cause noise and telegraph vibrations through the suspension and steering."
  • cooldad
    Which relates to the rotor not the pad.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • "Failure to follow these procedures may result in brake judder, excessive noise, or other difficulties in bedding-in the new brake pads. The pads need a fresh surface to lay down an even transfer film. Residue from the previous pad compound on the surface or an irregular surface on a used rotor will cause the pads to grip-slip-grip-slip as they pass over the rotor surface under pressure. The resulting vibration will cause noise and telegraph vibrations through the suspension and steering."

which to me says clean your rotor before you fit new pads.
    and the source of you quote was............?