TDF 2012

ridley2010
ridley2010 Posts: 115
edited June 2012 in Pro race
right, who's going out on a limb and going to name a winner?

This is my top 3:

Wiggo
Cuddles
Frank S(if his team is allowed to ride)

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    My heart agrees with you, my head says

Evans
    Wiggo
    and it was A Schleck, not sure now, i reckon there could be a "wildcard" in third a la De Gendt in the Giro (but not him...Sagan? Now there would be a thing)

I think Evans and Wiggo are near enough Identical in terms of riding over 3 weekd but I just think Evans has the experience and the cunning to put one or two over Wiggo and snatch a couple of cheeky seconds here and there which will tip him over the top...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver

Old and past it that thread now Rick!
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,184
    Wiggins
    Evans
    Nibs
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    J-Rod to podium (if riding)

EDIT: Sagan as podium wildcard (if riding)
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • tremayne
    tremayne Posts: 378
    Wiggins is going to genuinely crush the opposition at this years tour. His display of dominance and cycling prowess will (sadly) lead to all sort of;

he's on the juice
    No Bertie - not a proper race
    Shelck(A) coulda done im
    SKy have made TDF a bunch of shit

The man is at his zenith right now and cometh the time, cometh the mod - I mean man.

In purely cycling efficiency terms - he's amazing. No waste. None of this gangly Evans, climbing all over the bike. He just sits there and churns it out.

Wiggo #1
    Evans #2

(its obvious I'm a fan - but I'll admit that his impending win will be thanks in no small part to the phenomenal team built around him)
  • ridley2010
    Sagan could win the yellow this year. He's winning everything else at the moment.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Evans, Wiggins, Van Den Broeck
    Green: Sagan, KOM: F Schleck, White: Poels, Team: Movistar, Combativity: R Perez
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    RichN95 wrote:
    Green: Sagan, KOM: F Schleck, White: Poels, Team: Movistar, Combativity: R Perez

hmmm...can't argue with any of that Rich.
    - @ddraver
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Wiggins, Evans, Van Den Broeck. Though I can see Sammy Sanchez being up there if he's in shape.
  • Campag 23
    Campag 23 Posts: 1
    Wiggins if he can hold off Evans to win it. Third could be anyone won't really care if Wiggins wins!!!
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    I really want Wiggo to win but I'm not convinced he has the 3 Week Tour mental fortitude to see it through. He has been immense in recent 1 weekers but I always sense he could crack if it went another week. On top of that I also fear that Sky's over exuberance to serve 2 masters (Cav for sprints and Wiggo for GC) will leave them as a busted flush mid way through the race. a team falling between 2 stools as it were.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,550
    I really want Wiggo to win but I'm not convinced he has the 3 Week Tour mental fortitude to see it through. He has been immense in recent 1 weekers but I always sense he could crack if it went another week. On top of that I also fear that Sky's over exuberance to serve 2 masters (Cav for sprints and Wiggo for GC) will leave them as a busted flush mid way through the race. a team falling between 2 stools as it were.

They're pretty mucc the standard doubts re Wiggins.

He did OK in the Vuelta last year though, straight after his broken collarbone - he only really looked in trouble on the savage Angliru and in the end it was partly the time bonuses that did for him.

Cav isn't likely to get all that much help, I reckon.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    After todays great showing from Gesink we might have a contender for the podium. What a time trial from Robert! He did suffer on Verbier on stage 2 though. Should be interesting to see how he cope tommorrow.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    ThomThom wrote:
    After todays great showing from Gesink we might have a contender for the podium. What a time trial from Robert! He did suffer on Verbier on stage 2 though. Should be interesting to see how he cope tommorrow.

Indeed.

You wonder how much this TT improvement has cost his climbing ability.
  • Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    RichN95 wrote:

Looks pretty good to me, but I'll go for:

Wiggins, Evans, Van den Broeck
    Green: Cav, KOM: F Schleck, White: Rolland, Team: Sky, Combativity: Hoogerland
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    White: Rolland

Is he still eligible? I wasn't sure if 'born 1986' or 'born 1987' was the cut off. I guessed the latter.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    Think so - he'll still be 25 when the Tour starts.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Wiggins
    Evans
    Frankie

Don't think wiggo's on the juice.. and it will be good for british cycling (and world cycling) culture for him to win.

(quick point though... what if the rest of team sky i.e. his super-domestiques are on the juice? where does that leave a clean tour winner? after all cycling is a team sport)
  • cycling5280
    cycling5280 Posts: 279
    ridley2010 wrote:
    Sagan could win the yellow this year. He's winning everything else at the moment.

hahaha...NO. Green...YES.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Frank 33/1, not an unreasonable flutter on each-way if team rides, Sanchez same odds, few quid back on a Podium. Nibs 20/1
  • Nibali
    Wiggins
    Coppel

This is taking into account the huge crash on stage 5 and an unexpected crosswind split into Cap d Agde
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    It's not unexpected if you predict it two weeks in advance.

Sagan won't be in the top 50 overall. Has he ridden for three weeks before?

Sanchez might win a stage but he won't do well overall, he's too badly injured
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    1: Evans
    2: Wiggins
    3: Gesink

Green: Sagan

KOM: Rolland

Young: Rolland
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Sagan for yellow? no chance. Cant see Nibali either as he will loose out on cpl of climbs and also not the best at TT though he is the most commited rider there and will give everything and not hide away like some.
    Cant see past evens and wiggo for yellow, some riders coming back to for, Sanches, Gesink, Shrek, Estra also in with shout of podium and there always a surprise somewhere but think all for top ten but not 1st or second.
    I dont see sky even trying for team classification as they will focus entirely on Yellow and after doing their stint most riders will sit up to conserve energy for floolowing stages.
    I still dont understand the worry about going for green and yello. I fail to see how you cant do both as you will see BMC at the front of sprint stages keeping Cadel close to front to stay safe, other teams will do the same, so you only need one or two for final lead out anyway. Also Cav can find his own way through though I am not sure he will go all way to paris, they will see how it goes I think.
    Interesting to see how Westra goes as he is good in TT also.
    I think Wiggo will do it, if he does what a year!! Hell of a boost for the olympics for him then.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Voeckler looking unlikely to make Liege. Abandons Sud, with the same knee problem as the Dauphine:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/voeckle ... n-in-doubt
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    Timoid. wrote:

Those choices look good to me... but I'd love Twiggy to win.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    Voeckler looking unlikely to make Liege. Abandons Sud, with the same knee problem as the Dauphine:
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/voeckle ... n-in-doubt
    :cry:
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • ridley2010
    I quite like Voeckler, it'd be a shame if he wasnt there.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Timoid. wrote:

Wiggo & Gesink to crash out.

1. Evans
    2. Nibali