graze.com boxes

iclestu
iclestu Posts: 503
edited June 2012 in Commuting chat
got my freebie box from the flyer in cycling plus.

Really really like it. Gonna keep with it for a bit.

Loved everything so far (including some dark chock and dried cherries that i never thought id like).

Anyone else a 'grazer'?
FCN 7: Dawes Galaxy Ultra 2012 - sofa-like comfort to eat up the miles

Reserve: 2010 Boardman CX Pro

Comments

• jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Always struck me as quite dear for what you get. I've never gotten one.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • jeepie
    jeepie Posts: 497
    Yeah a lady I work with gets 'em send in regularly and doesn't like about 1/2 of it so I get the rest as I'm a "big eater". I really like the unhealthy choc ones and sweets ones too, rather than the pumpkin seeds, but happy to graze on them too. I think it's a good idea, but you'd have to have quite a bit of disposable cash to just wax it on a regular subscription....
  • I posted about these a few days ago here: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40011&t=12859690&hilit=graze#p17674945
    My colleague had his arrive the other day and it looks awesome, really well packaged and thought out. I have a freebie on it's way too, and I get the 5th box free as well apparently! I think I might ruin with it for a bit too, and then see if I can make one up cheaper from some wholesale health stuff. The oat bakes with that chutney were delicious and the lime raisins/sultanas were mint as well.
    I say go for it! :D
    Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    There's something about Graze that I actually find a little bit depressing. Having your food packaged up and posted to you? Really? Just seems a bit wasteful and lazy to me.
  • thiscocks
    thiscocks Posts: 549
    Jeepie wrote:
    I really like the unhealthy choc ones and sweets ones too

Chocolate isnt unhealthy in moderation.

Im trying the boxes out, think they are good. Maybe slighty more pricey than you'd pay for nuts in the supermarkets but you get nice variation. Had a couple now with the same selection in so ill have to modify it on their site. Ill prob carry on getting my two boxes a week for a while. Really liked the Jaffa cake one (nuts/fruit and dark chocolate)
  • thiscocks
    thiscocks Posts: 549
    MrChuck wrote:
    There's something about Graze that I actually find a little bit depressing. Having your food packaged up and posted to you? Really? Just seems a bit wasteful and lazy to me.

No more wastefull than driving to a supermarket and buying it.
  • MrChuck
    thiscocks wrote:
    MrChuck wrote:

Well, yeah, if you were making a special trip to the supermarket just for that. But most people go to supermarkets anyway...?
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Seems expensive for a wee drop of nuts, seeds and fruit but if it floats your boat...........
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    MrChuck wrote:
    thiscocks wrote:
    MrChuck wrote:

Well, yeah, if you were making a special trip to the supermarket just for that. But most people go to supermarkets anyway...?
    Likewise, Graze aren't making a special trip just for you
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • beams87
    beams87 Posts: 151
    Used to get Graze boxes a while back. Got my fair share of freebies through referrals too! However, everyone in the office kept eating mine when I was away (and typically put them back in my top drawer) so I stopped ordering them – nb. They make it fairly tricky to stop the orders.

Admittedly, having food posted to anyone is (I feel) wrong on so many levels. Hence, I am now off to buy a bag of bird seed and some raisins to make up for the loss.
    "A beaten path is for beaten men"
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234

I agree. But its ideal for lazy fatties though, especially as its marketed as "healthy"
  • MrChuck
    dhope wrote:
    MrChuck wrote:
    thiscocks wrote:
    MrChuck wrote:

Likewise, Graze aren't making a special trip just for you

I suppose your'e right in that Royal Mail aren't necessarily running any more vans. Still bugs me though- maybe because of what it represents (to me) rather than the actual ins and outs of waste involved. Just seems like having packed lunches made and posted to work for you.
  • iclestu
    im a little surprised by the negativity towards these.

I think its a great idea well executed. Dont think its TOOOO bad price wise for what you get (not just the food itself, the ease and convenience, variety, etc too).

Each to thier own.

Dont think many 'lazy fattys' will be ordering them when they can get crisps and chocolate bars from thier nearest shop/vending machine. Think that was a lil unfair...

• msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    I get one a week. I'm quite a fussy eater so it gives me the chance to try new stuff without having to buy a huge bag of it from Holland and Barratt. How else would I know I can't stand dried apricots?

Some of the savoury trail mix type stuff is really nice though, and the honeycomb flapjacks are lovely.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I quite like these. Got suckered in by the free trial thing a few months back and I get one a week now. Nice to try something new, and while its not cheaper than buying bulk yourself, theres interesting variation and its not that expensive compared to the kind of stuff thats sold for lunch around where I work.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    What do they work out at per box? Someone at work had a couple for us to try yesterday and although there was some tasty stuff in there, I'm assuming you end up paying way more than if you'd just bought something similar from Holland & Barrett.
  • mr_ribble
    mr_ribble Posts: 1,068
    Found out the other day that their offices are round the corner from where I live, and the factory is out Feltham way. I got a free box yonks back, but cancelled it. The guy behind LoveFilm is a key player, and I can see his train of thought from DVDs in the post to snacks. I would love to know what churn rate they assumed when they first laid out the business plan. That is, number of customers who take the free box, do it for a few times and then cancel.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Mrs EKE gets them as does her flatmate. There are some interesting nibbles in there and she adds them to her packed lunch every day. I like them but I don't know if they are worth it, saying that, I have no idea how much they cost.

She also gets an Abel & Cole fruit and veg delivery as it forces her to eat veg regularly, before it goes off.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Mrs EKE gets them as does her flatmate.....
    Your wife has a flatmate?
    Interesting. Very interesting :twisted:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    daviesee wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Mrs EKE gets them as does her flatmate.....
    Your wife has a flatmate?
    Interesting. Very interesting :twisted:
    She is my girlfriend rather than wife, but it's easier than 'my girlfriend' every time I refer to her.

BTW, the flatmate: a twenty-something Aussie triathlete with a tongue stud. Still interesting?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • MrChuck
    Mr_Ribble wrote:
    I would love to know what churn rate they assumed when they first laid out the business plan. That is, number of customers who take the free box, do it for a few times and then cancel.

I've wondered the same. MrsChuck had them for a bit and then cancelled, so did a few people at work. I'm assuming the number of 'keepers' is quite small, but presumably the people behind it have done their homework.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I've had them for over 6 months, works out at £3.49 a box, 4 little trays in each box. Yes its convenience food, no its not cheap but you're paying for ease of access. There's over 200 different boxes and the website makes it really easy to filter what you get sent, e.g. no peanuts etc. Some of their combinations are a little odd, others are fantastic.

If anyone wants to try a free box, go to graze.com and enter the code KXRPT15D. I get a small price reduction on my boxes too, so everyone's a winner.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • iclestu
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    If anyone wants to try a free box, go to graze.com and enter the code KXRPT15D. I get a small price reduction on my boxes too, so everyone's a winner.
    pah! Thats what i should have done!

:-p

• mr_ribble
    Wrath - do you get a box every day, every week, every month or every time you get scalped (sympathy and energy in one simple package)?

50K loyal customers spending 3.49 a week generates a healhy turnover, although I'd imagine margins are tight. There's the invoice from Royal Mail for a start, which must be something around 50p a box I'd imagine. Packagine 15p, contents 75-100p, labour costs of preparing and filling boxes 50p per box. Add on your fixed costs like the warehouse and head office and there aint much left. I guess its one of those businesses where a profitability comes when volumes reach a certain break even point, and above that starts to pay dividends
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    lot's of people at work get them on a weekly basis

I don't
    FCN = 4
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    I get 'em on a weekly basis. They solve a problem I had which was: nothing healthy in vending machines or shops within a mile radius of my office, and cycling in everyday so don't want to carry in packed lunches.

In terms of being wasteful, surely it's no different to tiffin? My postman is now a dabbawalla!

EDIT: oh, and we tried making the equivalent snacks at home using supermarket ingredients and couldn't get the economics to work.
  • mr_ribble
    I might launch a rival. How about putting five seperate snacks in a box, in that way you get one a day. (USP innit!)

I'll call it Snackaday and my marketing budget will be spent hiring Timmy Mallet as the face of Snackaday, and the adverts will consist of snack based word association games, an oversized hammer and some plasters.
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    iclestu wrote:
    got my freebie box from the flyer in cycling plus.

Really really like it. Gonna keep with it for a bit.

Loved everything so far (including some dark chock and dried cherries that i never thought id like).

Anyone else a 'grazer'?

I had a freebie box offered as a Superdrug promotion (and all I bought in the first place was some dental floss so I didn't have to spend a small fortune to get a "free" gift). Not bad at all, loads to choose from on their website to suit all palates.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • PedalPedant
    PedalPedant Posts: 185
    I'm rather suspicious of some of the healthy eating claims they're making on the web site. This http://www.graze.com/health/blood-sugar for example looks particularly bogus. As far as I'm aware in order to get a blood sugar chart anything like the "normal office eating" one you'd have to be diabetic.

There also seems to be rather a lot of chocolate in some of the options.

PP
    People that make generalisations are all morons.

Target free since 2011.
  • Just signed up and my free box arrives on Tuesday. I've gone for the eatwell box to be delivered on Tues/Thurs.
    Some of the foods on their site are right up my street!
    YUM. :)
    Current bike: 2014 Kinesis Racelight T2 - built by my good self!