The Greg66 double shuffle

2»

Comments

• DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Jeepie wrote:
    Amazing.

You actually can change gear on the front and rear at the same time and the chain doesn't come off. Felt totally weird when wanting to yomp to the big ring simultaneously changing to small sprockets on the back, but the chain didn't come off and it felt good.

Come on folks give it a try? Or is everyone in London doing this already?

If you've got Modolo Morphos levers and are fairly dextrous, you can brake at the same time as doing all that!

David

I could do it with my old Shimano Soras. I never thought of it as anything special. I thought everybody did it.

I could even brake (front and rear) and double shift simultaneously when I had down tube shifters.
    OK, now I'm lying.

I don't think simultaneous braking/shifting works with Campag Ergopower (IME) 'cause of the way the brake and gear levers pivot relative to each other.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Jeepie wrote:
    Amazing.

You actually can change gear on the front and rear at the same time and the chain doesn't come off. Felt totally weird when wanting to yomp to the big ring simultaneously changing to small sprockets on the back, but the chain didn't come off and it felt good.

Come on folks give it a try? Or is everyone in London doing this already?

If you've got Modolo Morphos levers and are fairly dextrous, you can brake at the same time as doing all that!

David

I could do it with my old Shimano Soras. I never thought of it as anything special. I thought everybody did it.

I could even brake (front and rear) and double shift simultaneously when I had down tube shifters.
    OK, now I'm lying.

I don't think simultaneous braking/shifting works with Campag Ergopower (IME) 'cause of the way the brake and gear levers pivot relative to each other.

David

Low end Shimano is better than Campag?!
    I think a kitten just died.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    When I change gear using my Sora shifters the Earth drifts slightly further away from the Sun.

I wouldn't even dare change both gears at the same time, Saturn might explode.

As a point of pride I only use the little ring (I think I'm rocking a 52+ big ring these days) when the front mech is BROKEN and I'm forced that. I don't think I've used the middle or little ring on the commuter this year.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588

David

Nah, it works just fine. Braking with index finger, shifting with middle finger. Perhaps the continental style of having the front brake set to the left lever does make more sense with this in mind, though.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    When I change gear using my Sora shifters the Earth drifts slightly further away from the Sun.

I wouldn't even dare change both gears at the same time, Saturn might explode.

As a point of pride I only use the little ring (I think I'm rocking a 52+ big ring these days) when the front mech is BROKEN and I'm forced that. I don't think I've used the middle or little ring on the commuter this year.

Big ring up Ballham hill? I'm impressed. :shock:
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588

David

Nah, it works just fine. Braking with index finger, shifting with middle finger. Perhaps the continental style of having the front brake set to the left lever does make more sense with this in mind, though.

Having recently ridden into work I would just like to apologise for my above statement being absolute bollox. Firstly, the index finger braking/middle finger shifting doesn't work. If you're going to try it it has to be first two fingers braking/third finger shifting, but even then it's pretty uncomfortable. I think what I tend to do is a kind of brake-shift-brake-shift thing. I do think I might change which lever opperates which brake when I next need to change the cables.