Why I hate the Tories.

2»

Comments

• Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Anyone with a modicum of common sense knew that whoever won the last GE would be on a hiding to nothing and would in all probability get booted out at the next one in 2015 (or whenever). So if you're tory minded what you should have done was vote labour and that way they'd have gotten well and truely fcuked off next time.

It's all about tactical voting you see. :wink:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • MaxwellBygraves
    MaxwellBygraves Posts: 1,353
    What's a Tory? Becoming an endangered species methinks...
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • DesB3rd
    DesB3rd Posts: 285
    “you don't need three guesses to name the political party who killed any other industry in the UK.”

What caused the decline of British industry, a very long running process, is certainly up for debate. One could look to Britain’s approach to private industry in the post-war period; too much focus on rewarding the working man and “taming” industry & finance rather than generating the conditions in which the means of production could best grow, develop & compete on a world stage. Though not of their inclinations the Tories supinely sold themselves to this political/economic consensus - so they can’t escape being a party to its failings.

Of course we’re probably wrong to rue the decline in manufacturing; committedly rhenish France and the laissez faire US have both experienced an equal decline in manufacturing as a proportion of their economies, Germany alone has managed to (relatively) buck the trend.

Back on topic; that the owners of business & industry choose to finance, and thus aid the electoral fortunes, of the party which they known to be the most pro-business should scarcely be a source of surprise or horror.
  • CambsNewbie
    CambsNewbie Posts: 564
    Could be argued the trade unions helped in the decline of manufacturing in the 1970s.. Strikes, Appalling quality control. No wonder no-one wanted to make things in the UK.

I'm just putting it out there.. Discuss!
  • MaxwellBygraves
    MaxwellBygraves Posts: 1,353
    Think this old lady had the right idea - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXbuqbFufn4

That's a joke, btw :wink:
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    Did this balanced, non-biased report say how many of the same either currently, or at any time in the past, have donated to Labour (or Lib Dems for that matter)?
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Pross, Fair point, it looked at donations to all main political parties over the last decade.

The only standout stat was that near enough 25%of those on the rich list had been Tory donors over that period.

I am sure whilst in Power Labour had some serious financial contributers (As many have said The Trade Union movements for one)

But when you look at Conservative policy such as reducing the top line rate of income tax for high earners it does make you question whos interests are this Government protecting.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    I suspect it's more that they support a party that has manifesto pledges in line with their own self-interest rather than in giving money they want to buy influence i.e. they aren't trying to get the party to change their thinking, just to make sure the one that already supports their views gets elected.
  • Frank the tank
    IMHO individual contributions do differ from those of TU's. An individual my have a very specific motivation for their donation (nudge nudge wink wink) whatever that may be.

What hope have I of having such influence on a political party if I give £50 to them...........none. However if 250,000 people donate £10 each my view may get a bit of a hearing. I don't have to go through the rigmorole of explaining the relationship between the TU's and the labour party though.
    Tail end Charlie

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    ..... However if 250,000 people donate £10 each my view may get a bit of a hearing....

Only if your view is the same as the other 249,999 people.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Frank the tank
    In that case you opt out of the political levy.

Even that is not good enough for the tories though, they'd like to see labours main source of income cut altogether leaving only themselves with any sort of campaign war chest.
    Tail end Charlie

• tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Where would Satchii and Satchii been without Maggie and the Tories,

Seems nowadays you just sell your soul and "principles" if you had any in the first place to the Murdoch Press
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    tim wand wrote:
    Where would Satchii and Satchii been without Maggie and the Tories,

Seems nowadays you just sell your soul and "principles" when you decide to become a politician

FTFY. :wink:

Where would Maggie and the Tories have been without Satchii & Satchii? Mutual back scratching.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.