Yeah I broke my record into work!

2»

Comments

• jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    Get ye to a TT.

Not man enough - anyway wife is already complaining I love the bike more than here (how did she know)! Anyway I have a two year plan to get better at hills and raise my distance to 150 miles and be comfortable with it - little steps - then I will see what I want to do next. Anyway - I feel like I get more and more out of this biking lark every month.
  • thiscocks
    thiscocks Posts: 549
    If you can do 24mph average including stopping over that distance you should defo enter some TTs. Then you will find out how accurate your computer was! :)
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    thiscocks wrote:
    If you can do 24mph average including stopping over that distance you should defo enter some TTs. Then you will find out how accurate your computer was! :)

I think he said it didn't include stopping time, didn't he? Even so, averaging 24mph moving on busy London Streets is very impressive.
  • thiscocks
    thiscocks Posts: 549
    certainly is! would still have to accelerate again even if the stopping was discounted..
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I can't seem to get back up to 18mph average so well done!
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Here comes the voice of doom:

Tailwind
    Down hill
    RLJ

I'm off to spread joy and cheer elsewhere now.
    I've realised I made a major error with my above statement, so I will correct myself:

Tailwind
    Down hill
    RLJ
    Km/h
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    answered all of those - now for the extra one - no it is MPH - I really don't see an average of 23.8 as being that fast - I think there are many here that go a lot faster.
  • EKE_38BPM
    To put your time in context, the current world hour record is 30.9 miles. That was done by a top athlete on a velodrome, not by an (I am assuming) amateur, in traffic.
    Even ignoring red lights, you did not average 23.8 mph.

I know the ride from Bromley to London Bridge, I did it last week and I know you get a nice, gravity assisted, spurt of speed down Bromley Hill, but going up Loampit Vale claws a fair chunk of that time back. The rest of the route I traffic light heavy, but as you ignore these, your time isn't valid anyway.

Seriously, look at the average speeds people do TTs in. If you really did the speed you say you did, expect a call from David Brailsford.

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I'll buy it, 11 miles in 28 minutes, based on knowing that my world record / UK all-comers record blitz to work (20.3 miles for the speed attempts) is doable in under the hour. 59:58, 58:25 & a very heavily wind assisted 56:35. So with everything falling into place for half the distance I could see that being realistic.

Agree on the TT though. Get psyched up and do one.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Aye. Could be possible. Could be a miscalculating computer too. Either's possible.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,318
    A good club rider will do a 10 mile TT in 24 mins or 25mph.
    Seriously, look at the average speeds people do TTs in. If you really did the speed you say you did, expect a call from David Brailsford.

Bradley Wiggins 10 mile TT record was 17 mins 58 seconds - thats 33 mph

The difference in power output between 25mph and 33mph is enormous.

23.8mph is feasible over 11 miles.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • alansd1980
    alansd1980 Posts: 201
    A good club rider will do a 10 mile TT in 24 mins or 25mph.

Bradley Wiggins 10 mile TT record was 17 mins 58 seconds - thats 33 mph

The difference in power output between 25mph and 33mph is enormous.

23.8mph is feasible over 11 miles.

In rush hour london traffic with traffic lights.....
    Banstead in Surrey to Russell square and back
    FCN 4
  • Dan_Giant
    Dan_Giant Posts: 72
    I think people are missing his point.

Regardless of his computers data, he still did his ride to work faster than he ever has before. So to him that is an achievement.

I think the only way to confirm this sort of thing is to get yourself a smartphone app and GPS the run. A good one will take into account your stops and take them out of your total ride time and average speed.
  • EKE_38BPM
    Dan_Giant wrote:
    I think people are missing his point.

Regardless of his computers data, he still did his ride to work faster than he ever has before. So to him that is an achievement.

I think the only way to confirm this sort of thing is to get yourself a smartphone app and GPS the run. A good one will take into account your stops and take them out of your total ride time and average speed.
    You're right.
    Forget trying to measure your time against all and sundry, just try to do better than you have done before.
    Don't jump red lights, though.