Yeah I broke my record into work!

jonomc4
jonomc4 Posts: 891
edited June 2012 in Commuting chat
Sorry about this boast but I needed to shout it somewhere and it is not as if the non cyclists at work will understand.

I have been cycling into work for about two years now it is an 11 mile commute from Bromley to London bridge area through Lewisham and Rotherhide.

On a normal pootle I do it in about 35 minutes and when I push a bit 32 minutes, once I did it in just over 30 minutes. Today I decided to really go for it - I have always wanted to break the 30 minute barrier! As I had no rucksack today - just a bum bag and I was on my proper road bike it seemed like the perfect time to break 30 minutes.

I did it in 27 minutes 30 seconds!!! 23.8 mph average I am so totally chuffed right now. And if it hadn't been for the red lights and heavy traffic near London Bridge I reckon I could have knocked a further minute off it!

I know this is totally pointless post but I just had to tell someone :)

Comments

• Good work, that is fast.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Good stuff. There's nothing like beating your own World Record to work. Congrats.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    I can get to work in 7 mins so must be the best.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Good God, and I was chuffed to get a 20mph average for my 12 mile commute!

That is properly fast
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • My 9 mile commute takes as long (or longer) as your 11 mile 'pootle' sometimes. Good effort. Not sure I've got to work in sub 30 before... I blame it on the TLs at TS and CG... that adds on at 'least' 5 mins ;-)
    Why? Because I'm guaranteed a seat all the way in.

Brompton SL2
    Ridley Icarus SLS
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    How on earth did you average that including the Lewisham/Rotherhithe bit? Traffic is a nightmare and LOADS of lights around there....
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • jonomc4
    edited June 2012
    I have been doing a bit more higher mileage rides at the weekend (40 to 50 miles) - Last weekend I also did the 65 mile nightride - this I have found has made a massive difference to my cycling - before these rides I could maintain an 18mph cruise - this has been increasing greatly as I have got used to longer rides. Some days I really feel on form. Also I do have the benefit of having a very fast and light carbon road bike with high level equipment.

I found on the nightride that even at 60 miles we were going 24mph on the flat - you kind of get used to it. So now a 24mph cruise and 31mph sprint on the flat are in my armoury. The nicest thing is I no longer feel I have to prove myself or push so hard every day - yesterday on the way home I managed an average of 12 mph and was enjoying the scenery.
  • jonomc4
    How on earth did you average that including the Lewisham/Rotherhithe bit? Traffic is a nightmare and LOADS of lights around there....

I left late for work! so less traffic until I got near to London Bridge - also I may have skipped a few lights today (I don't condone this and normally don't do it - but I still stopped at a few.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    That's quick indeed, especially given the number of lights from Bromley into town, seem to spend all the time either spinning up or slowing down around that way. Chapeau.

You on Strava yet? :twisted:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • jonomc4
    I am not on strava - but I wish I had been today - I used the bike cateye computer for my timings. In Bromley I don't go through the town centre - I am in the back lanes through Sundridge Park etc. and then join the Bromley Road. The first traffic lights I hit are in Downham. Today was real fun I was just overtaking cars on the right or down the bus lane in Lewisham - they seemed properly annoyed that a bike was overtaking them - and they weren't even in heavy traffic.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Here comes the voice of doom:

Tailwind
    Down hill
    RLJ

I'm off to spread joy and cheer elsewhere now.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • cyclingprop
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Here comes the voice of doom:

Tailwind
    Down hill
    RLJ

I'm off to spread joy and cheer elsewhere now.

:lol::lol:
  • jonomc4
    The fact - mostly light side winds - except for finish that was ruined by traffic anyway.
    The fact - it is not a hilly route pretty flat most of the way - but it is still the same route that I had not broken 30 minutes on before.
    The fact - cycling into RLJ - hey I am 46 with 2 kids a private school - I don't get to be unemployed - ain't nobody got time for that :)

For me it is not about the average speed - these things are relative to the things above I agree - it is about knocking nearly 10% of my best ever time before - that is the most important thing to me.

So you cannot dull my joy and cheer :D
  • HamishD
    HamishD Posts: 538
    [unlurk] I'm calling bullsh1t on this one.

Even jumping every single red light , of which there are many on that route, and filtering like a madman would require some serious output, at least 370W, for the duration.

Sorry to call you a liar and all that.

[/lurk]
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Congrats! It's always great to beat that significant number.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I will let you into a secret of how to break your best commute - just leave your departure until you are running late and have an important meeting with the boss first thing! Works every time...
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    jonomc4 wrote:
    Sorry about this boast but I needed to shout it somewhere and it is not as if the non cyclists at work will understand.

I have been cycling into work for about two years now it is an 11 mile commute from Bromley to London bridge area through Lewisham and Rotherhide.

On a normal pootle I do it in about 35 minutes and when I push a bit 32 minutes, once I did it in just over 30 minutes. Today I decided to really go for it - I have always wanted to break the 30 minute barrier! As I had no rucksack today - just a bum bag and I was on my proper road bike it seemed like the perfect time to break 30 minutes.

I did it in 27 minutes 30 seconds!!! 23.8 mph average I am so totally chuffed right now. And if it hadn't been for the red lights and heavy traffic near London Bridge I reckon I could have knocked a further minute off it!

I know this is totally pointless post but I just had to tell someone :)

Now, try a time trial!
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • king_jeffers
    king_jeffers Posts: 694
    jonomc4 wrote:
    As I had no rucksack today - just a bum bag

This cancels out your man points & incurs a 5 minute penalty :lol:
  • Topaxci
    Topaxci Posts: 106
    Congrats, it's always feel good when you can smash your own times.

Must have been a day for it, as I managed to finally beat the 12 min barrier on my 4.5mile commute.
    Very pleased to see 11:39 on Strava when it finally uploaded.

Now you have new challenge - think you can beat 27 mins?
  • jonomc4
    HamishD wrote:
    [unlurk] I'm calling bullsh1t on this one.

Even jumping every single red light , of which there are many on that route, and filtering like a madman would require some serious output, at least 370W, for the duration.

Sorry to call you a liar and all that.

[/lurk]

Hey no problem - I did what it said on the Bike Computer - I am not worried about being called a liar - I know what I did - I am surprised with what I did tbh - but it is what it is.
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 wrote:
    As I had no rucksack today - just a bum bag

This cancels out your man points & incurs a 5 minute penalty :lol:

To be fair - I am diabetic so I need to carry a fair amount of fast working carbs just in case and I had dumped the lucozade water bottle to lighten up the bike for today, with that and a few things I needed for work - it was just too much for the back pockets.

So whilst I do agree with the 5 minute penalty but I call mitigating circumstance on this one
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Is this moving average? What computer did you record it with?

It does sound very high for any inner london commute at ANY time of day, let alone morning! I've only ever managed to average 20 mph once I think, over 17 miles, and lots of them are in Richmond Park!
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    jonomc4 wrote:
    The fact - cycling into RLJ - hey I am 46 with 2 kids a private school - I don't get to be unemployed - ain't nobody got time for that :)

What does your age and where you're kids go to school got to do with RLJing?

I once had an ingrowing toenail. Can I now ride on the pavement?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • jonomc4
    Sorry - I thought RLJ meant Real Life Job :) I must be David Cameron in disguise. (BTW I never ride on pavements)

To answer the above about stopping - no it does not include time stopped but you average is affected by stopping and starting again. I would guess my stopped time would be about 1 minute between the 3 times I stopped.

The computer is a Cateye (can remember model) - but it is the one that does cadence and speed (current, max and average).
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Well, you should get yourself to a time trial, as I doubt I'd ever manage that and I'm doing ok in racing.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • cyclingprop
    jonomc4 wrote:
    Sorry - I thought RLJ meant Real Life Job :) I must be David Cameron in disguise. (BTW I never ride on pavements)

To answer the above about stopping - no it does not include time stopped but you average is affected by stopping and starting again. I would guess my stopped time would be about 1 minute between the 3 times I stopped.

The computer is a Cateye (can remember model) - but it is the one that does cadence and speed (current, max and average).

RLJ: Red Light Jump.

You'd be surprised how long you sit at lights for. Although, as you admit... you don't.
  • Gizmo_
    Gizmo_ Posts: 558
    I broke my record home last night. Wasn't even trying...

I think the earth is shrinking.
    Scott Sportster P45 2008 | Cannondale CAAD8 Tiagra 2012
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I tried the cycle computer method (cateye / whatever) and it was never massively accurate. As evidenced by my conviction that I was able to complete 14 miles in 45 minutes which included 3 stops to negotiate pairs of bridlegates and cutting through the middle of Derby on my Tricross

I've barely been able to match that with a complete non-stop 12 mile run on the Madone. The only logical conclusion is that I got the time wrong on the 14 mile one and I was simply not as quick as I thought I was

I've decided that any method except using Endomondo or the equivalent is never going to give you an accurate figure.

(this is not to detract from your effort, as clearly you are going faster but I would politely suggest using a rolling average and negate the foibles of red lights (or junction in my case as I have NO traffic lights on my commute) as best as possible rather than jump them.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • jonomc4
    Well anyway - lets just say I improved my fastest time by 10% - now after all this I am wishing I hadn't mentioned a time and average speed :) - all I can go from is what the cycle cpu told me - now it may be out by a little or a lot - but at least it gives me a speed relative to my other runs. As a kid I was the 200m fastest sprinter in England at under 15 and Under 16 - so I guess I do have some reasonable genes?
  • Get ye to a TT.
    Why? Because I'm guaranteed a seat all the way in.

Brompton SL2
    Ridley Icarus SLS