Garmin help

StrathRC
StrathRC Posts: 31
I've recently got a Garmin Edge 800 and was wondering whether the device will track my ride if I take it to france (do i need a map) also will it work without speed and cadence sensors as I won't be able to set these up on a hire bike.
Cheers

Comments

• turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    yes it will (GPS...Global Positioning System :shock: ) depends which map you have,,,the basic Garmin is supposed to have a little bit of France on it...never tried it though.
    Your need a map...
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/ for a free one...you need to play a little to get it onto the 800...http://talkytoaster.info/ukmaps.htm tells you how
  • yes, it will work without speed/cadence sensor. You'll still get a speed readout, based on GPS (less accurate, but good enough).
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    It will work just as well in France as in the UK.
  • StrathRC
    StrathRC Posts: 31
    cheers. I tried it this afternoon without sensors but the red line on the map wasn't over the road. I had the device in my pocket- could this be cutting the signal? and I had auto pause on. Any advice?
    cheers
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    StrathRC wrote:
    cheers. I tried it this afternoon without sensors but the red line on the map wasn't over the road. I had the device in my pocket- could this be cutting the signal? and I had auto pause on. Any advice?
    cheers

did you let it aquire a signal and location first ?..you need to do this first.
    Turn autopause off
    Turn the sensors off as it will keep trying to find them
    not sure what you mean by a "red line" though ?
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    StrathRC wrote:
    cheers
    Garmin connect is not very good at following roads so the line often wanders. Try ridewithgps.com. Much better. Set it for 1 second recording. It does not make much difference on GC but does on RWGPS.
    Having the unit in your pocket will shield it so getting a poor GPS lock. Mount it properly.
    Leave auto pause on (I use 'when stopped') unless you want stationary time included in your ride. It will still be included in 'elapsed time' in GC.
    "Turn the sensors off as it will keep trying to find them"
    You should not need to do this as it automatically defaults to GPS if none found. You only get problems if they are working intermittently.
    If you do not have 3 bikes set up then set the hire bike on the unit so you do not need to change any of the others.