impact on commuting if we have successful Tdf/Olympics road?

PBo
PBo Posts: 2,493
edited June 2012 in Commuting chat
What do you all reckon? Major nodderpocalypse reloaded? MAMIL infestation? Zilch?

just curious....

Wonder if there is anything TfL and other PTEs etc should be doing to get ready for any cyclist influx?

I have a distant memory that post Athens, there was a massive increase in rowing club membership enquiries, and importantly the ARA had predicted this. Clubs were all geared up for enquiries etc. and ran tasters. They got good "stickiness" from the wave of enthuisiasm. Conversely the ABA (boxing) was crap and Audley Harrison's gold lead to a surge of interest which was wasted.

(may have got the wrong sports, but you get the gist)

Comments

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I reckon that this time next year there is going to be an awful lot of second hand carbon bikes on eBay.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    It'll rain in September & that will be the end of it.
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    God - I hadn't thought of that :?

The Kessock Bridge - our Strava Central - is already nodderpocalypse central too: it can only end in tears.

I should, however, point out that it's all relative: if I come across just one nodder on the entire 1km that constitutes the bridge, the ride is ruined! :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    RichK wrote:
    It'll rain in September & that will be the end of it.

It'll rain in August and be a non starter.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Doubt it'll really make any difference - we won a significant chuck of the cycling events in the last olympics, didn't see any great increases in commuting beyond the usual trend.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Aidy wrote:
    Doubt it'll really make any difference - we won a significant chuck of the cycling events in the last olympics, didn't see any great increases in commuting beyond the usual trend.

Wiggins winning the Tour might be different...
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Aidy wrote:

for a lot of the public they will not even know the Tour is on, let alone wether Wiggins wins or not.

The Olympics is in London, its where the media are, you'll not be able to move for Olympic stories.

Got folks using the Olympic route for months now, and chatting to the peaslake shop it's really busy and has been for months.

So this Olympics already has a effect, let alone what might happen if we get a few golds.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Aidy wrote:

I'd argue that gets less coverage than the Olympics and therefore is less likely to make any impact.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • rick_chasey
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Aidy wrote:

I'd argue that gets less coverage than the Olympics and therefore is less likely to make any impact.

Wiggins winning the Tour will be first thing on the news if it happens.

I guarantee it.

If he's close to winning it'll be bloody fever pitch.

I'm holding my breath for the hoardes of TdF n00bs descending on pro-race if he does well.
  • sagefly
    sagefly Posts: 295
    I'm looking forward to the mass of no longer used high end carbon bikes going cheap over the winter!!

and look forward to being issued a PCN for riding on the ORN and PRN lanes!!
    Turned out nice again!
  • rick_chasey
    sagefly wrote:
    I'm looking forward to the mass of no longer used high end carbon bikes going cheap over the winter!!

and look forward to being issued a PCN for riding on the ORN and PRN lanes!!

If there's no traffic on the olympic lanes are they really gonna jump on people using bikes on them? As long as they get out of the way.
  • sagefly
    sagefly Posts: 295
    Already have my patter worked out, Rob Geesink from Holland..........................
    Turned out nice again!
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    After the track team's success at the Beijing olympics I remember reading a post on the Men's Health forum where a guy was asking if anyone knew who he should get in touch with at Herne Hill velodrome because he was good at squatting and thought he might be useful in the 2012 team. I must check to see if he has been included in the squad :?
  • roger_merriman
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Aidy wrote:

Wiggins winning the Tour will be first thing on the news if it happens.

I guarantee it.

If he's close to winning it'll be bloody fever pitch.

I'm holding my breath for the hoardes of TdF n00bs descending on pro-race if he does well.

For roadies and like, yes they'll be a fever pitch but public as a whole, will take a passing intrest at best, these things aren't the easiest to show on tv, and certinalty to understand. on the whole it's fairly dull on tv.
  • Yukirin
    Yukirin Posts: 231
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Aidy wrote:

but is this not the first time in ages that tdf is going to be free to watch? (itv4 are covering). I'll be watching for the first time in a decade!
  • rick_chasey
    Yukirin wrote:
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Aidy wrote:

but is this not the first time in ages that tdf is going to be free to watch? (itv4 are covering). I'll be watching for the first time in a decade!

ITV4's been covering it for years.

Last year the Tour was consistently the most watched non-terrestrial program during prime-time.
  • roger_merriman
    Yukirin wrote:
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Aidy wrote:

sure they have had coverage for a few years, watched it last year and the year before on itv4, sure they had it live and highlights.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Yukirin wrote:
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Aidy wrote:

Yes it is, apart from all the other years its been on free to air TV
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • anonymousblackfg
    anonymousblackfg Posts: 2,029
    edited June 2012
    I think we're already in a period of increasing interest even prior to TDF/Olympics, I was out in Surrey last month on a training ride and there were circa 4 sportif events running just that weekend, this will only increase.

The inspirational element of success in the either event should have greatest effect on Kids saying they want to be like their heros, let's face it there have been few brittish cycling heros in the last few years and now certainly Cav is a household name.

Nobody else notice the ITV4 TDF plug during the ad break in the England game the other night? again, viewing figures should be substantially higher.

In London the faff around getting to work during the olympics is already causing people to reassess how they travel, I know i've already helped out CEO buy a new road bike for it. I think people trying to get around a problem will create more nodders than people thinking they can be the next Wiggo.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    The Evans in Wimbledon is heavy with business. Alu biks mostly - glad to see most of the road bikes. If the Country sees more cycling success, well, I can't speak for the entirity of London, but I believe the ASL at Oval tube is going to hit critical mass and explode!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Anyone else see the advert on PT and bus shelters of the granny on the TT bike cycling past the Tube station?

If not, here it is, but only a small version.

Cycling-Past-Tube-GAOTG-primary.jpg

I remember hearing that there was a massive increase in bike sales after Beijing. If Cav and/or Wiggo do well in the TdF and Team GB do well on the tracks (don't forget the BMX and MTBers) and on the road, there will be an explosion. I, for one, welcome it.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • I'm still amazed no bike shops or bike brands advertise on the tube in the summer, surely it's the worlds easiest sell! surely any tube commuter is more likely to buy a whole new bike than an average cycle commuter.

'save money and escape the PT hell?'
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I'm still amazed no bike shops or bike brands advertise on the tube in the summer, surely it's the worlds easiest sell! surely any tube commuter is more likely to buy a whole new bike than an average cycle commuter.

'save money and escape the PT hell?'
    Maybe the Tube don't allow it? Having a few cyclists outside Tube stations would get around any ban and allow potential punters to actually talk to sales staff without going into a shop.
    Save money, escape the PT hell, get fit and actually enjoy your commute to and from work. Sounds like a winning sales pitch to me, but then it would.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Yukirin
    Yukirin Posts: 231
    Yukirin wrote:
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Aidy wrote:

ITV4's been covering it for years.

Last year the Tour was consistently the most watched non-terrestrial program during prime-time.

ah. Correction then, first time I've seen it advertised as being shown on terrestrial. I'm used to my dad moaning that he pays xx for some sports package and still doesnt get what he wants.
    Still, if what I read is true about over subscribed cat4s and the huge year on year increase in sportives then a successful Olympics and tdf is just going to fan the fire. A lot of "see, mate? I told you this cycling gig is good, come have a go!" word of mouth.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    More bikes on the road = more pressure for councils and governments to make roads better for them, maybe the Olympics causing traffic carnage in London might be the kick TfL needs to start closing more of the Capital to motorised traffic.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • rick_chasey
    Better put some of that cycling buzz on ice....

http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/ ... ng0613.pdf
  • roger_merriman
    Better put some of that cycling buzz on ice....

http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/ ... ng0613.pdf

Your a cycling fan yes? You know who Armstrong is.

The public a) know that (generally) Tour De France is won by dugs. b) probably don't follow the sport so wouldn't know who Armstrong is.
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    For a lot of people Lance Armstrong and the existence of the Tour De France are literally the only knowledge they have of professional cycling.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    As I have said elsewhere with a probably irrelevant post on a thread - A doping story breaks just before every Tour. :cry:
    This year is no different. The only difference is that Lance is well known outside the sport.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    FFS - why don't they let it lie? I've never known anybody hounded so much for so long. Cycling is its own worst enemy.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH