Euro 2012.

124»

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... Aidc#t=17s

Take a look at the video. How can you say this guy has a bad touch?

He obviously doesn't.
  • rick_chasey
    cjcp wrote:
    You think international level is higher than the champions league?...

That's where we differ.

The best teams are teams who play most of their season together anyway. Germany's made up of mostly Bayern players with the odd Dortmund player.

Spanish are mainly Barca with the odd Real chap (and they've only come good in the last 4 years. They were exactly the same as England for years and years before then).

The French have good touches, good passing, good skills. They do badly too. Similar to England. Their players are about as diverse re-clubs are the English are.

Italy, for all their hype, only had two good players and couldn't score against England for 2hrs. Also, the league where most of them play is a lot more homogenous re playing style which helps too.

How many English *players* play at the higher levels of the Champions League? Not enough.

Ferdinand, Terry, Cole, Gerrard, Lampard, Ashley Young, Carrick, Scholes, Rooney, Welbeck, Lescott, Hart.

They all are regular starters at the top teams in Europe.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    cjcp wrote:
    How many English *players* play at the higher levels of the Champions League? Not enough.

Euro 2012 England squad players who have played in the Champions League.

Joe Hart
    Glen Johnson
    Phil Jones
    John Terry
    Joleon Lescott
    Gary Cahill
    Ashley Cole
    Theo Walcott
    Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
    Steven Gerrard
    Gareth Barry
    Ashley Young
    James Milner
    Wayne Rooney
    Danny Welbeck
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • rick_chasey
    Ashley Cole is quality.

Can't stand the guy and I hate chelsea but he's consistently been one of, if not the best defensive left back in the world.

Also, over his time playing for England, probably their best and most consistent performer by miles.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    cjcp wrote:
    You think international level is higher than the champions league?...

That's where we differ.

The best teams are teams who play most of their season together anyway. Germany's made up of mostly Bayern players with the odd Dortmund player.

Spanish are mainly Barca with the odd Real chap (and they've only come good in the last 4 years. They were exactly the same as England for years and years before then).

The French have good touches, good passing, good skills. They do badly too. Similar to England. Their players are about as diverse re-clubs are the English are.

Italy, for all their hype, only had two good players and couldn't score against England for 2hrs. Also, the league where most of them play is a lot more homogenous re playing style which helps too.

Ferdinand, Terry, Cole, Gerrard, Lampard, Ashley Young, Carrick, Scholes, Rooney, Welbeck, Lescott, Hart.

They all are regular starters at the top teams in Europe.

Of whom, Ferdinand, Lampard, Carrick and Scholes didn't play. Cole's the only one of those who would stand a chance of getting into a World XI.

There's no strength in depth.

It's cause and effect: see the grassroots point above.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Not sure that English touch is that much worse than players of other nations. England might have done better against Italy with different tactics. The big problem as I saw it was that there was no easy get out ball (just a hoof upfield), and Pirlo was allowed too much time and space to cause problems. If we had sat someone (Milner?) on Pirlo his influence would have been dramatically reduced. Up front we could have played Carroll as a target man with Walcott on the right and Rooney on the left to burst forward instead of Young and Welbeck.

Either way it looks to me like a Spain v Germany final, with my money on the Germans.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • gabriel959 wrote:
    Spain's passing game isn't what makes it, really. It is the stifling pressure they create when they lose the ball. It is so difficult to keep the ball away from them, if you are not used to playing without the ball then your team will suffer.

This is the main difference with Spain and the fact that they hardly ever have to beat a man to pass to a teammate due to their workrate.

Germany have started doing the same with high work rate to allow simple passes.

As soon as England get into the opponents half, they have to beat a man to pass to a teammate due to pressure from the opposition. Spain and Germany do not have to as they are work hard to create the space.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    It seems to me that England don't do the basics well enough:
    Get in space to recieve the ball
    Line and square
    Play it the way you're facing
    Give and go.

Didn't we all learn that in school?! If you can't keep hold of the ball, you will be chasing after it and wear yourselves out. You can't score if you don't have the ball. Italy had the ball for 64% of the game.

As usual, England dropped further and further back as the game went on. We started strongly and the Italians must have been really worried but, as time went on, they were just getting chance after chance but ours were few and far between (Italy 35 shots, 20 on target vs England 9 shots, 4 on target).
    Rooney looked rusty and Gerrard looked old & tired.

In the face of all of this, the Italians must be wondering why they couldn't beat us after 2 hours of running rings around us. A couple of decent saves by Hart, a few shots hitting the woodwork and a couple of offsides (one of which was a disallowed goal) was all their strike-force could come up with?
    C+: Could (and should) do better!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Didn't we all learn that in school?!
    Not at my school - we only played with an egg shaped ball, hence I'm probably not qualified to comment. :oops:
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Didn't we all learn that in school?!
    Not at my school - we only played with an egg shaped ball, hence I'm probably not qualified to comment. :oops:

They tried to make me play with a broken ball. I REFUSED to go into the scrum and near froze to death out on the wing as the ball never came to me. I walked into the changing room to get warm and prepared for a major telling off from the teachers and my parents. The teachers sent a letter home to my parents and my dad (who was VERY strict) asked why I went inside. I told him and he was pretty cool about it.

With hindsight, I probably would have made a decent winger. I'm a fast sprinter, reasonably tall (but would need to bulk up a bit) and I really, really don't like getting hit.

• clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I am better than Andy Carroll.
  • I am better than Andy Carroll.

I quite liked him, not seen too much of him before, but he reminds me of Shearer but without the elbows.

He tackles well for a striker, too.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Sweeping statement.
    At what? :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Personally I just think it came down to quality vs quality, fitness and a lack of ideas.

England grew in stature in the first half of the game. But as the game went on they seemed to run out of steam and worse, run out of ideas. By about 60mins in they appeared flat. So flat that a fresh Walcott was never sent a ball of the top to test the Italian's legs...

I don't think it was down to the tactics, every professional footballer who holds an English passport has been drilled and trained to understand Roy's tactics.

Also, black people don't like playing rugby. FACT. The ones that do are sick in the head. Don't mind watching though - but all that 'lads together' willy grabbing nonsense, I'm sure Buju Banton made a song warning me about it.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • clarkey cat
    daviesee » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:23 pm

clarkey cat wrote:
    Sweeping statement.
    At what?

Football. And I stink at football.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    England grew in stature in the first half of the game. But as the game went on they seemed to run out of steam and worse, run out of ideas. By about 60mins in they appeared flat. So flat that a fresh Walcott was never sent a ball of the top to test the Italian's legs...
    Coincidence that that was when Gerrard got cramp?
    It was also when England started playing for penalties - IMHO.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    It was just annoying to watch. My personal view (Scholes not included) Gerrard has been the best midfielder and passer of the ball in England since his first 5 international caps (I don't want to hear any of this Lampard bollocks I'm still not clear what he brings).

The Italians with their very own Gerrard (Pirlo) seemed to get it right. Give him the ball and let him dig and ping passes all around the pitch while the three/four other midfielders and two/one (/= after substitutions) pick them up. They also protected him and he wasn't really flying into tackles yet played deep...

It's been well documented that Gerrard is injury prone and as he gets older should be playing to strengths other than a 6ft plus tough tackling midfielder. Why couldn't he sit there and just ping balls around while Parker protects him and does the tough tackling bit.

To be honest the team were probably looking to him to pick things up and well he was tired and old.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • EKE_38BPM
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Also, black people don't like playing rugby. FACT. The ones that do are sick in the head. Don't mind watching though - but all that 'lads together' willy grabbing nonsense, I'm sure Buju Banton made a song warning me about it.
    There have been a few, usually quite good ones too. Offiah, Hanley even Sankey shows promise.
    I know the song you are talking about. Ha ha.

• DonDaddyD wrote:
    Also, black people don't like playing rugby. FACT.
    Yeah Yeah, and white guys can't jump.
  • EKE_38BPM
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Also, black people don't like playing rugby. FACT.
    Yeah Yeah, and white guys can't jump.
    You both make very good and accurate points!

• cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Personally I just think it came down to quality vs quality, fitness and a lack of ideas.

I don't think it was down to the tactics, every professional footballer who holds an English passport has been drilled and trained to understand Roy's tactics.

Sometimes, DDD you make salient articulate points. Sometimes you talk complete monkey balls. #justsayin
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • clarkey cat
    willy grabbing?
    what rugby club do you play at!?!?

can you forward me their contact details please?