Euro 2012.

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,318
    There is not a player in the world anywhere at any level who plays the game within the laws.

Ever seen a match with no free kicks?

Is every player who commits a foul a cheat?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Libraio
    Libraio Posts: 181
    Need Portugal to win...
    They did! :lol:

Funny coming to a Brittish cycling forum where peoples are discussing Dutch football. I'm settled on the couch ready for watching the match, I so hope they get their act together and win.

By the way, all footbal players are over paid cry babies who know how to 'bend' the rules better than they know how to play.
    The Commuter: 2009 Trek District
    The John Deere: 2011 Van Dessel WTF
  • iclestu
    iclestu Posts: 503
    There is not a player in the world anywhere at any level who plays the game within the laws.

I largely agree with you but you cant imply that someone committing a foul is cheating. Most fouls are accidental. To cheat implies INTENT to break the rules.
    FCN 7: Dawes Galaxy Ultra 2012 - sofa-like comfort to eat up the miles

Reserve: 2010 Boardman CX Pro
  • Libraio
    Oh, forgot to say I blame the Brittish for corrupting Nigel de Jong, teaching him how to kick a man in the chest. He was such a nice boy before he signed with Manchester City*... :mrgreen:

I know absolutely nothing of football
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    iclestu wrote:

I largely agree with you but you cant imply that someone committing a foul is cheating. Most fouls are accidental. To cheat implies INTENT to break the rules.

To clarify what I wrote previously:
    If the ref awards a foul, you've crossed the line. e.g an accidental late tackle
    If the ref also gives a yellow card, you've crossed into cheating. e.g a deliberately late tackle or professional foul
    If the ref gives a straight red, you've crossed another line into dangerous play. Usually. e.g. a studs showing tackle or kicking someone in the chest.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    The Dutch look awful.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Libraio
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    The Dutch look awful.
    Nah, we are being shafted. By our coach. I'll tell my neighbours to start taking down those bloody orange flags outside.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Rick. Who's your second claim?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Disaster.

Totally overshadowed by a) bad news from home, and more relevant to the forum, all this Armstrong stuff. I think pro-race just exploded.

It was pretty comparable to when Germany beat Holland in the last friendly - as I feared. They're just a better team.

Best performance of the tournament so far.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    There always appears to be doping story in the build up to the Tour.
    It always seems to go away after the Tour.
    Sad for the sport (in all contexts) but I imagine this story will go the same way.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    Got to say the the Germans put in a good performance. Ozil and Gomez in particular v. good. Holland not at their best.
    By the way Rick, did they ever get their bikes back?
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • rick_chasey
    Got to say the the Germans put in a good performance. Ozil and Gomez in particular v. good. Holland not at their best.

No.

The young left back Jetro Willems was absolutely ruined.

If we could finish as well as the Germans did we'd be brill.

Unfortunately, pretty much no other team can finish like they can.
  • Ben6899
    The young left back Jetro Willems was absolutely ruined.

He was massively out of his depth and the Germans identified this very early on. He won't forget last night in a hurry!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Nothing to see here. Move along.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • daviesee
    Asprilla wrote:
    Bet you've changed your tune now!
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    daviesee wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    Bet you've changed your tune now!

Not by much. I'm going to wear my HRM for the next match so Mrs A knows when to dial 999.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Ben6899
    Zlatan Ibrahimovic. What a prick. Go and join van Bommel in the broom wagon.
    Ben

• DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    "Are you watching Dolph Lundgren? Max von Sydow? Benny and Bjorn? Ace of Base? Swedish Chef? Your boys took one hell of a narrow defeat!!!!"
  • iclestu
    iclestu wrote:
    got a bet on Denmark at 100-1 to win it (seemed worth a punt for a quid - if Greece can do it ... ) before they won their first match so they are my adopted team. Will be watching them with interest later!

pah! They were robbed. That was a clear penalty

• daviesee
    iclestu wrote:
    iclestu wrote:
    got a bet on Denmark at 100-1 to win it (seemed worth a punt for a quid - if Greece can do it ... ) before they won their first match so they are my adopted team. Will be watching them with interest later!

pah! They were robbed. That was a clear penalty
    Agreed!
    At that point it was a game changer and would have meant Denmark and Portugal going through at the expense of Germany. The cynic in me tells me that would have been avoided if possible........
    The same cynic says that Spain and Italy will get any dubious decisions but has trouble on Tuesday. Who goes through? The 2 nations with history and money or the last remaining host nation? Difficult one.

Can you tell that I am disillusioned with the "sport"? :cry:
  • rick_chasey
    Well.

Holland were awful.

Deserved to go out.

The group of death was certainly difficult, and you'd think they might have scraped through in an easier group - but they're still rubbish and they'd have got knocked out in the quarters anyway.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    The Dutch team has had issues for a number of years now - last World Cup not withstanding, though the Final was indicative of those is issues.

It seems that the Dutch team struggled with the transition from the 1996 - 2004 generation (That's the Kliuvert, Frank and Ronald de Boer, Edgar Davids, Clarence Seedorf, Marc Overmars, Jaap Stam generation) to the 2006 - 2012 generation of Van Persie, Robben, Van der Vaart and Sneijder.

By the end of the 2004 generation - mirrored I believe with Englands own generation of Terry, Ferdinand, Lampard, Gerard, Cole - the team imploded on itself drunk on ego and players picked based on reputation and popularity than form. You could see this with the number of public disputes/arguments and on field squabbling between the players.

It seems, however, that despite a new generation the Dutch team has carried that negative culture over.

Sad end to what was two great generations of players.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • iclestu
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    The Dutch team has had issues for a number of years now - last World Cup not withstanding, though the Final was indicative of those is issues.

It seems that the Dutch team struggled with the transition from the 1996 - 2004 generation (That's the Kliuvert, Frank and Ronald de Boer, Edgar Davids, Clarence Seedorf, Marc Overmars, Jaap Stam generation) to the 2006 - 2012 generation of Van Persie, Robben, Van der Vaart and Sneijder.

By the end of the 2004 generation - mirrored I believe with Englands own generation of Terry, Ferdinand, Lampard, Gerard, Cole - the team imploded on itself drunk on ego and players picked based on reputation and popularity than form. You could see this with the number of public disputes/arguments and on field squabbling between the players.

It seems, however, that despite a new generation the Dutch team has carried that negative culture over.

Sad end to what was two great generations of players.

yeah - thats quite insightful DDD. Agree wholeheartedly.

Coaching staff gotta take blame for that sort of thing IMHO. Develop the right attitude in your players or drop them until they do.

• rick_chasey
    The 2010 world cup is a massive BUT in that analysis.

You don't get to a world cup final by chance.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    Theres example of far poorer teams getting quite a way, Turkey, South Korea, Cameroon etc at recent world cups, Greece and Denmark winning Euros, if I remember the African cup of nations was a but unpredictable last time out. A lucky game in a small group and the knock out stages are something of a lottery for unknown quantity teams or a talented group not playing as a team. Unfortunately for the netherlands, this time their lack of cohesion was too much for the individuals to make up.

The Poles aren't really out either, its just their best players have German tops on
  • DonDaddyD
    The 2010 world cup is a massive BUT in that analysis.

You don't get to a world cup final by chance.

I don't think it is. I'm talking about argaubly the third greatest generation of Dutch players (Gullit era being the first and best followed by DeBoer and Overmars' generation).

Great teams normally come with players who have big personalities and ego's. When those teams come together you get World Cup 2010.

They also implode and that what we saw here. Same thing happen to France, it's happened to Brazil, Italy and England. No harm, no foul. A new collection of players will step up, probably led by Afellay - who will have signed for Arsenal, Elia on the wing, Georginio Wijnaldum, tough tackling Anita, Pieters, Strootman and van der Wiel. Held together by a mature van der Vaart and it'll be like "Robben who?"
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • daviesee
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I don't think it is. I'm talking about argaubly the third greatest generation of Dutch players (Gullit era being the first and best followed by DeBoer and Overmars' generation).
    So where does the Johan Cruyff era come in all this :?: :?
  • rick_chasey
    For me, the main difference in the 2010 Dutch team and the 2012 team is the enormous lack of positional discipline.

The 2010 Dutch team, with their two defensive midfielders, were very well organised - to make up for their obvious lack of defending talent. They had a lot of structure when defending.

This team has none. The teams is broadly the same with the exception of van Bronkhorst to the 2010 team, so it's obviously not that.

That and the form of Robben and van Persie and Huntelaar were poor too.

Snijder and possibly Stekelenberg were the only players I thought gave a good account of themselves.
  • Ben6899
    daviesee wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Daviesee took the words right out of my mouth!

Cruyff
    Neeskens
    Repp
    Haan
    Krol
    Ben

• DonDaddyD
    daviesee wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Wasn't Cruyff one really great player. In a international team of decent - good players. Where as the generations I'm talking are a team of great players.
    Food Chain number = 4