xc with semi slicks wow!

2»

Comments

• peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    I was going to post but that guy ^ just said everything i was going to.

Good tyres. Can usually keep an average speed of 15-17mph on my 12mile commute on them. Sometimes i will whack the knobbles on for a Friday so that i can take an extended off-road ride back home but you really notice how much they drag on tarmac.
  • sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    cheers guys some decent feed back not the pi55 taking!! ! the ride to work is only 4.5 mile so would rather buy the tyres than a new bike as i go xc on my time off im not in to commute or road bikes like the guy said above its practical and i can lock the rear and front out so is solid well as can be any way like i said its only for a few weeks
    but its good to see bikes that can be used for a few thing rather than just the one as im not minted yet lol
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Yep, save your knobs for off road. Tarmac, especially when hot seems to do funny things to some blends of rubber and it's always in the middle.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Yep, save your knobs for off road. Tarmac, especially when hot seems to do funny things to some blends of rubber and it's always in the middle.

Really? Always in the middle where it wears out the most? I can't think why...
  • Hi!
    Im lucky to have 2 bikes. The one I use for commuting now has rigid forks and Schwalbe Hurricanes. I got the Hurricanes with the reflective strip for roughly £15 each from Germany. They cost a lot here in the UK. I also said wow when I first rode them. The quickest way to work for me is to take a fireroad on the way so semi-slicks are perfect. I make long detours on the way home though.
    I also find I ride the commuter a lot more than my Front suspension HT with knobbly tyres now.
    Padyak rider
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    Theres nothing semi slick about city jets, not a knobble in sight! I run them on my Univega for commuting, 1.5 flavour.

nicklouse wrote:
    Kojaks are better.

mmmmm bald.

Got a set of these too, look like inner tubes once fitted. Smooth, nice...
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • sigorman85 wrote:
    hi im using my bike specialized camber comp 2011 for commuting at the moment i did have a set of mountain king 2.4 onit and found out that they dont hold the road to well i have come off twice this week in the wet lol .so decided to get some semi slicks i went for the schwalbe city jets. wow they are good roll and speed is so much better but the bike looks strange! has any one else done this with a similar bike? and whats your experience?

oh yeah got them off ebay 26.99 for 2 schwalbe city jets and 2 presta tubes this has got to be the cheapest about?

Sorry about the *iss taking on here. That's forums for you - it's easy to be ignorant in the virtual world where someone is not going to give you a poke in the eye for a display of bad manners.

Back OT.

My next bike will be shod with Schwalbe Marathon Supreme HD Speedguard 26 x 2.0.

These are nice and fast on the road, are quiet, very puncture resistant and have sufficient grip for my occasional use on light hard-pack trails.

I have also recently ridden an Orbea shod with Spesh Nimbus 1.6 and they are a nice tyre too - very zippy and quiet.

I prefer the slightly softer ride of the fatter tyres though.

Don't worry about looks - even the 1.6's on the Orbea did not look daft. And even if they did, so what, function over form matters more.
  • sigorman85
    They arnt slick tho as they have a tread pattern on them so inters or semi slick any way you no what i mean an yes nick i no what you mean fat tyres are always better for looks but sacrifice the looks for speed at the moment
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

• Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    sigorman85 wrote:
    They arnt slick tho as they have a tread pattern on them so inters or semi slick any way

The tread pattern on 'semi-slick' MTB tyres such as City Jets doesn't actually do anything you realise. The tread on car tyres is there to move water out from underneath the tyre in order to stop it aqua planing. Bikes never go fast enough to need this. The tread is for decoration.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    sigorman85 wrote:
    They arnt slick tho as they have a tread pattern on them so inters or semi slick any way you no what i mean an yes nick i no what you mean fat tyres are always better for looks but sacrifice the looks for speed at the moment
    Skinny tyres aren't necessarily faster, but are generally a lot less comforatble.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • sigorman85
    i might need your help cool dad go to work shop and i have put a post on there about the tyres title is tyre problems sorry dont no how to do a link

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    TwellySmat wrote:
    sigorman85 wrote:
    They arnt slick tho as they have a tread pattern on them so inters or semi slick any way

The tread pattern on 'semi-slick' MTB tyres such as City Jets doesn't actually do anything you realise.
    Definately this. And i learned this the hard way.