xc with semi slicks wow!

sigorman85
sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
edited June 2012 in MTB general
hi im using my bike specialized camber comp 2011 for commuting at the moment i did have a set of mountain king 2.4 onit and found out that they dont hold the road to well i have come off twice this week in the wet lol .so decided to get some semi slicks i went for the schwalbe city jets. wow they are good roll and speed is so much better but the bike looks strange! has any one else done this with a similar bike? and whats your experience?

oh yeah got them off ebay 26.99 for 2 schwalbe city jets and 2 presta tubes this has got to be the cheapest about?
When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    But they are rubbish up mountains, and it's a mountain bike.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • sigorman85
    Thought you would put a smart comment!
    If you read the post it says I'm using the bike to go to work on not xc!
    Thanks for your interest tho
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I'm sure they'd be fascinated in the commuting section.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    sigorman85 wrote:
    I'm using the bike to go to work on

Do you work up a mountain? No?

Bought the wrong bike then
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    I used to use the old conti traffic 1.9s for a while getting about. Stuck like shit to a blanket in any weather and one of the fastest, grippiest rollers I've ever used. They had excellent side knobs that aggressively dug in off road too. Downside, they were heavy, unforgiving and looked odd. But anything below a 2.0 tyre looks a bit odd on a mountain bike.
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    I used to use them for training rides before I bought a road bike they will be faster on tarmac, but it will be a pain in the arse to keep swapping them over, unless you have a spare wheelset maybe?

I'm surprised you come off on the mountain kings though... have you got like 90psi in them or something or perhaps its a control issue?

I have ridden to work regularly for years on/off road on all sorts of mtb tyres, don't remember having too many problems, some drag more than others I guess?
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • sigorman85
    No haven't brought the wrong bike. I'm using it to get to work while I get a new car havnr got the money to buy another semi decent bike so thought this would be the cheaper option it's only for a month or so.

• steelie600
    steelie600 Posts: 519
    forgive me if im being thick, but what exactly is the point of this thread??

We know semi-slicks roll better already, but they look shit and are shit anywhere other than tarmac (most of the time)

Help me out here, cos im struggling
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • blister pus
    It's general chit chat thread about shared experiences re semi slicks on a mountain bike - in the general section of a mountain bike forum.

HTH.
  • steelie600
    Thanks!! That makes it all so much clearer

My life is now complete, I can die a contented soul :D 8)
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • blister pus
    I can liven it up for you by telling you how I once ran into the back of a car the day I changed over from proper MTB tyres to Michelin XC HT tyres, and how I had to take them off immediately because I was quite dangerous with them on?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what the F has this got to do with XC in the heading?

commuting with semi slicks would be better....

for Xc you use the most suitable tyres for the conditions. Hard pack a Semi Slick may be suitable but it will have zip grip if it gets wet.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • blister pus
    Hey if you're going to point out every weakness in the thread then schwalbe city jets aren't proper semi slicks either, but cut him some slack, he was excited by his new found speed.
  • nicklouse
    Kojaks are better.

mmmmm bald.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    nicklouse wrote:
    what the F has this got to do with XC in the heading?

going out on a limb here, maybe he has an XC bike?
  • sigorman85
    Read it lol don't no why I bother

• blister pus
    Stick with it, there's all levels of backward here.
  • steelie600
    yup theres me for a start :lol::lol::lol:
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • sigorman85
    We all have our days lol

• YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    o, hai :D
  • nicklouse
    o, hai :D
    even sidways.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Who's Sid Ways? Is he a new member?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    No, it's the direction you inevitably end up going in when you're running SID forks and their flexyness causes them to veer off-topic hugely.
  • steelie600
    PMSL
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    No, it's the direction you inevitably end up going in when you're running SID forks and their flexyness causes them to veer off-topic hugely.

Very good!
  • sigorman85
    My last post not doing it any more :-/

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Highest levels of derp i've seen in a while here.

In fact, why are we even discussing commuting? Get out of here.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Highest levels of derp i've seen in a while here. Commuting on a camber? Fck me what's the world coming to.

Not everyone can afford multiple bikes, hard to believe I know.
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    I'm using 26 x 1.95 City Jets on my MTB through the week for commuting whilst I can't afford a second bike for the commute to work. My brother was using some for over a year if I remember correctly and didn't have a single puncture.

The tyres are really good for the price, £10.99 each on Amazon. And a massive plus side is I can lock my fork out which is loads better for road use.

Does look weird though but its more practical for what I use it for but as soon as Monday comes I can't wait until the weekend hits just to put my knobblys back on lol.