Quarq data recording - Joule or Garmin

DaveyL
DaveyL Posts: 5,167
I'm about to go from a PowerTap to a Quarq system for power measurement. Just wondering what people's thoughts are on choice of head unit - Joule or Garmin?

I'm not too fussed about GPS data, and am intending to upload the power data to WKO+. I'm sure I read something about differences in the raw data that the Joule records vs the Garmin, but I can't for the life of me find that now.

Any comments?
Le Blaireau (1)

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,525
    this thread might be interesting...

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... =8&t=75251

haven't tried a joule 2.0, i do have a garmin 705 and a srm pc7

i rarely use the 705 now, i'd rather take a paper map or a hand drawn route diagram, if i get badly lost my phone has gps anyway

the pc7 is simple and to the point, more readable, 120 hour battery life, logs data every 500ms vs. 1 second for the 705, enough memory for 65 hours training at 500ms (proportionately longer if you drop the data rate), and although speed isn't that important, at least it's actual speed not the sometimes iffy gps estimate

the joule 2.0 has 1s data recording, about 20 hours capacity (data and battery), the big plus with it i think is the extra reporting/calculation is does, there's a lot more info than the pc7 and it's got some way of creating workouts, it also has onboard reporting to analyse performance without needing to upload to a pc

if i were buying now i'd really be drawn to the joule 2.0

sometimes i miss the gps data, but tbh it's only value for me is for entertainment
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny