Measuring the severity of a hill

2»

Comments

• iclestu
    iclestu Posts: 503

Am I alone in my immaturity in laughing at Hutton-Le-Hole?

A 'pseudo-french pretentious' dive then?

.... sorry :oops:
    FCN 7: Dawes Galaxy Ultra 2012 - sofa-like comfort to eat up the miles

Reserve: 2010 Boardman CX Pro
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    woodnut wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    There is a hill near me called the Whalejaw (or Jawbone hill) - is about 500ft in 1 mile, which is a decent slog in itself, but it is not even - bits hit 1 in 3 which just sap you!

I can vouch for the horridness of this hill, it hurts to even drive up there.

Sheffield has some crackers eh! The one from Ewden village to Bolsterstone was taken out of a road race because the riders couldn't get up hehe. I like good old Blake Street best, is not a hill, but a bloody mountain - need ropes and hooks to get up this one!

mjimji_089.JPG
  • iclestu
    supersonic wrote:
    woodnut wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    There is a hill near me called the Whalejaw (or Jawbone hill) - is about 500ft in 1 mile, which is a decent slog in itself, but it is not even - bits hit 1 in 3 which just sap you!

Sheffield has some crackers eh! The one from Ewden village to Bolsterstone was taken out of a road race because the riders couldn't get up hehe. I like good old Blake Street best, is not a hill, but a bloody mountain - need ropes and hooks to get up this one!

mjimji_089.JPG

cripes.

The scenic hills maybe just as bad but seeing houses, walls and buildings in the photo really bring home the severity of the gradient.

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    supersonic wrote:
    woodnut wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

mjimji_089.JPG

is some one having a wee behind a bin in that pic?
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • supersonic
    Ha, could be - is a pic from The Full Monty, that's Gaz!
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    God, is that 'The North' in that pic? Its true what they say aint it, its grim.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Sheffield's brilliant.

Love it to bits.
  • SimonAH
    Went there on a geography field trip back in the dawn of time when I was a schoolboy. Thirty posh southern kids split into groups of three sent off into Sheffield to find evidence of 'industrial decay'.

Three separate groups got beaten up and their stuff nicked :-D

• supersonic
    Wow, how things have changed! They'd be murdered today ;-)

Tis UKs greenest city tha knows.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    This is the Hill I used to cycle up as a teenager
    http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=alkham& ... =12,0,,0,0

On a Gas pipe framed raleigh Hustler with 3speed sturmey hub.......it was less effort to walk up for sure!

My first car wouldn't go up it in second!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • madtam
    madtam Posts: 141
    Living on a bit of a hill and in a bit of a hilly area I sometimes dream of wide open - FLAT - spaces. Up the drive and turn left up the 20% hill rising to 33% at the top and round the hairpin. Then it's a short gentle slope before the 0.9 mile average 12% hill with varying sections from 7% to 23%. After that it's level to downhill and I can settle down to steady riding. It certainly gets you warmed up on the cold mornings.
    Actually I can and usually do cheat by riding down the ramp alongside the steps that drop down to the main road along the bottom of the valley.
  • iclestu
    SimonAH wrote:

Love #3&#4

Ahhhh - know someone somewhere would have constructed a formula and found a scientific measure...

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    madtam wrote:
    Living on a bit of a hill and in a bit of a hilly area I sometimes dream of wide open - FLAT - spaces. Up the drive and turn left up the 20% hill rising to 33% at the top and round the hairpin. Then it's a short gentle slope before the 0.9 mile average 12% hill with varying sections from 7% to 23%. After that it's level to downhill and I can settle down to steady riding. It certainly gets you warmed up on the cold mornings.
    Actually I can and usually do cheat by riding down the ramp alongside the steps that drop down to the main road along the bottom of the valley.

So when did this thread become a p*ssing contest :lol::wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    madtam wrote:

So when did this thread become a p*ssing contest :lol::wink:

when do they not!
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    So is the severity of the climb proportional to the rush of the descent?
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Gay69
    Gay69 Posts: 13
    It depends on the angle of the rise, before I decide how severe the ride is going to be...

That and whether there's a saddle on my bike and how much lube I've used
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    an ode to a special slope

You're such a radiant gradient
    A smooth one, not a hilly one
    Your red-rimmed sign says you're one in nine
    But to me you're one in a million
  • SimonAH
    Gay69 wrote:
    It depends on the angle of the rise, before I decide how severe the ride is going to be...

This wins the "most innuendo crammed into one post" award.

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    red-rimmed

Unfortunate term given the post that precedes it... :shock:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    SimonAH wrote:
    Gay69 wrote:

This wins the "most innuendo crammed into one post" award.

And the forum name is just the icing on the cake!! :)
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • memsley89
    memsley89 Posts: 247
    And here's me about to mention Brighton... :wink:
    http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/45429
  • memsley89
    memsley89 Posts: 247
    And for the very keen eyed amongst you,
    the green rectangle in the distance is the velodrome...
    and yes, even that is on a hill! :D
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Rode 45 miles today in the Pyrenees, flat boring in no way boiling hot or all vertical ascending all day, barely broke a sweat.

:roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Shite views as well
    IMAG0260.jpg
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.