Sore hips

Graeme Jones
Graeme Jones Posts: 361
Hi All I am new to riding getting my 1st road bike only this month. I am finding some soreness which feels muscular in the front of my hips particularly my right hip.
I have had key hole surgery on my right knee and before the operation the physiotherapist decided over stretching my right leg was a good idea hurting my hip at the time! Since then its not been brilliant but what I feel is like a muscular tissue strain.
Should I keep cycling with the view of building the muscle as I have just had a weeks lay off and have ridden today and knocked out 16.5 miles my best yet in just under an hour so made up with that! I wouldn't be suprised if it is just getting used to cycling and building fitness levels.
I don't feel any issues on the bike just after a ride. It isn't to the extent it effects the way I walk or anything serious I just know its there if you get me?

What advice would you guys give?

And to add I have felt some abdominal strain also which will be from my weak core muscles no doubt so I am sure it all ties in?

Comments

• Graeme Jones
    No ideas guys?

Could seat height too high be causing this? or would moving seat forward/backwards possibly help?
  • Chrissylaa
    Chrissylaa Posts: 19
    You don't state your age but as you get older then you have to ease yourself into training or cycling more steadily.

If you are completely new to cycling then you are building "local muscular endurance".

Start off by doing short rides in a lowish gear and build up steadily,if you think your saddle is too high then lower it.

Saddle fore and aft can be set by dropping a plumb line which as a rule of thumb is just behind the kneecap and through the centre of the pedal axle when sat in your normal position on a dead flat surface on the bike.

Hope this helps.
  • Graeme Jones
    I am 29 Sorry. So not old just yet. I do tend to find that my level of fitness has always outweighed my niggles and pains throughout all my years! I could do 25miles no problem but may be better doing 8miles 3 times in the week.
  • Muffintop
    Muffintop Posts: 296
    I am 29 Sorry. So not old just yet. I do tend to find that my level of fitness has always outweighed my niggles and pains throughout all my years! I could do 25miles no problem but may be better doing 8miles 3 times in the week.

+1 to the 8 miles 3 times a week. I seem to get sore hips not doing any cycling!
    FCN: Brompton: 12, Tourer: 7, Racer: 4

http://www.60milestonod.blogspot.com
  • Graeme Jones
    After a week off the bike the hips have eased a little and completed 10miles yesterday and today with no real issues. Laying off tomorrow and probably Wednesday then back in to another 10 on Thursday hopefully. Legs feel stronger already. Loving Strava I beat all my times on the same route the day after doing the same run.