Dragon Ride 2012 "post match analysis"

Comments

• Crispyapp
    Crispyapp Posts: 344
    craker wrote:
    Crispyapp wrote:
    There should have been more than 3 feeds or at least more places to re fill water at least [....] The first 30 mile I thought was a waste of time

Not in agreement with you here CrispyApp; you saw the queues coming off the motorway? Now move those queues into the valleys and find somewhere to park 2000 cars or so and the locals are going to be properly aggrieved. I thought the atmosphere through suburban Neath and co. was great btw.

I didn't have any particular issues with feed stops - I skipped the first (it was rammed but I wonder if the queues were moving quickly) got water only at the 2nd (added my own supplements) and filled me boots with new potatoes at the third... and there was an ice cream van near the top of Rhigos. Granted it may be harder on a hot day but ~35 miles between feeds seems OK?

Yep a fair point completely. Like I said I don't live in this area and have no idea how the roads are, it's just my opinion that I think it would be better cutting out the main road section as much as poss.
    Look 595 ultra - F+F for sale.....
    Cervelo r5
    Kinesis T2 2013 winter bike
    Merida Carbon 1500 flx MTB
  • alex1rob
    alex1rob Posts: 95
    The littering was disgusting especially in a national park, what a way to make a bad name for cyclists.
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    I think it was on the Bryn climb really early on, but a guy had come off on the descent and for a few minutes we were stopped by police and paramedics were attending to him. He looked in a pretty bad way and I wondered if anyone knew whether the guy was OK or not? It was raining at the time and I could not believe how some of the riders were descending like maniacs minutes after passing the ambulance. Police were telling riders to slow down and stop and some of em didn't take any notice, even after seeing a guy smashed up on the floor.

With these amount of riders you're gonna get the idiots but I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Other than that I thought it was a brilliant day and a vast improvement on previous years.
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    sampras38 wrote:
    I think it was on the Bryn climb really early on, but a guy had come off on the descent and for a few minutes we were stopped by police and paramedics were attending to him. He looked in a pretty bad way and I wondered if anyone knew whether the guy was OK or not? It was raining at the time and I could not believe how some of the riders were descending like maniacs minutes after passing the ambulance. Police were telling riders to slow down and stop and some of em didn't take any notice, even after seeing a guy smashed up on the floor.

With these amount of riders you're gonna get the idiots but I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Other than that I thought it was a brilliant day and a vast improvement on previous years.

No idea how he is but one of my clubmates said that it looked very nasty and it shook him up a bit, paramedics were using a spinal board. Hope the guy makes a full and speedy recovery!

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • sampras38
    Benno68 wrote:
    sampras38 wrote:

No idea how he is but one of my clubmates said that it looked very nasty and it shook him up a bit, paramedics were using a spinal board. Hope the guy makes a full and speedy recovery!

Let's hope so.

Oh, and we have the same bikes. I've got the white 2011 Cube Agree GTC SL, although I've changed a lot of the bits. Dura Ace groupset and brakes. Also changed bars to carbon 3T and use Speedplays.

Also have a 2011 Attempt with 105 for winter.

Nice bikes.
  • mudshark
    mudshark Posts: 30
    I've been looking at the times people were getting. Seems to me the bands for the gold, silver and bronze times are very tough, most didn't get even bronze which seems a shame to me - not sure how this compares with other sportives.
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    Dodgerdog wrote:
    I think I must have been in the same group as Bombo6 for the final run in, a fantastic way to finish running down into Margam village in a group of 15+ riders, a couple of Dulwich guys setting the pace early at about 37Kph and keeping it up all the way into Margam and then through to the Motorway junction. [I was the one in the Army Cycle Union strip.]

That'll be me and my riding buddy. Thanks for the wheel towards the end (when I'd gone cross eyed), you were a nice smooth wheel to follow home.
  • dodgerdog
    dodgerdog Posts: 292
    Cheers, I really enjoyed that descent but had to drop off the group just after the motorway roundabout when my left thigh started to twinge with cramp.
    Allez Triple (hairy with mudguards) - FCN 4
    Ribble Gran Fondo
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    I'm going to have to agree with everyone saying how great it was. Some great climbs (really enjoyed Bwlch), awesome descents and when we were there only the first feed station had bad queues (which with the number of riders involved is pretty impressive).

Never thought I'd enjoy a salted spud as much as the ones at feed station 3. I was tempted just to ask for the salt and leave the spud...

I had fun and I blame Wiggle for it. :wink:
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Dodgerdog wrote:
    I think I must have been in the same group as Bombo6 for the final run in, a fantastic way to finish running down into Margam village in a group of 15+ riders, a couple of Dulwich guys setting the pace early at about 37Kph and keeping it up all the way into Margam and then through to the Motorway junction. [I was the one in the Army Cycle Union strip.]

That'll be me and my riding buddy. Thanks for the wheel towards the end (when I'd gone cross eyed), you were a nice smooth wheel to follow home.

Saw a couple of Dulwich guys and an Army guy on the route. I was one of a group of High Wycombe riders. We all split up (crashes/dropped/etc) and on the run off the Bwlch only two of us together and we had a great chain gang run to the finish. Think there was a couple from Twickenham at the front for a while.

Really great day. I thought the whole organisation excellent. We stayed in Swansea the night before. Drove straight into the Margham Park, no hold ups, unloaded the bikes and we were off. No queuing anywhere. Feed stops were excellent best I've seen on a Sportive, roads good, climbing truly terrible, descents brilliant. Top day out, I'll do t again next year for sure.
  • benno68
    sampras38 wrote:
    Benno68 wrote:
    sampras38 wrote:

Let's hope so.

Oh, and we have the same bikes. I've got the white 2011 Cube Agree GTC SL, although I've changed a lot of the bits. Dura Ace groupset and brakes. Also changed bars to carbon 3T and use Speedplays.

Nice bikes.

Yes I like Cube bikes, great value for money although your's is much better than mine, the DA grouppo and SL frameset goes much quicker than Ultegra and the basic GTC frame so I've been told :wink:

Just looked at our (group) ride on Strava:

Moving Time 09:01:41
    Elapsed Time 10:38:05

Nearly 1hr40 stationary WTF :lol: No wonder I was feeling pretty good at the end!

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • dodgerdog
    dodgerdog Posts: 292
    Benno,

I feel your shock, my recorded time was 9:02:55 but Strava shows a moving time of 7:56:39 which means that I spent over an hour bumbling around sorting my snapped chain or stuffing my face! :shock:
    Allez Triple (hairy with mudguards) - FCN 4
    Ribble Gran Fondo
  • alex1rob
    Haha... me too. Riding time 8:15 elapsed time 9:57
  • DADOFFIVE
    DADOFFIVE Posts: 6
    edited June 2012
    Brilliant, challenging, crushing and exhilerating. My first mountain sportive and only my third since returning to cycling 15 months ago. Well done the organisers on the administration and running of the event (with the exception of the over chlorinated water at the food stops. That made me feel ill, even my Viper active wouldn't mask the taste) Loved the long steady climbs but felt crushed by Bryn Melyn, especially as I had lost the use of my 28 cog a few miles before. The descent of Black Mountain was incredible. I've ridden motorcycles all my life and know how to corner so the superb sight lines, well radiused bends and brilliant road surface equalled 54 mph! Very pleased with my 8hrs 37 mins (8Hrs 16 mins riding time) and I'm in complete awe of the sub 7 hour finishers. Just hope I'll get an entry next year.
  • DADOFFIVE
    Completely agree with the comments posted about the littering. Gel flasks are so cheap (bought mine on line for £1.49 each) are so much easier to use than fiddling around ripping foil satchets and you can use them time and again without ruining the reputation of cyclists.
  • benno68
    Dodgerdog wrote:
    Benno,

I feel your shock, my recorded time was 9:02:55 but Strava shows a moving time of 7:56:39 which means that I spent over an hour bumbling around sorting my snapped chain or stuffing my face! :shock:

Good time mate - sub 8 hours on that course is bloody good going! My other mate who was getting up the hills roughly at my pace (maybe slightly quicker) clocked 8:30 ish cycling time.

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • cwm
    cwm Posts: 177
    11hrs 25mins total,10hrs 18mins moving.
    Live local got there early didnt queue to park or start,got passed by loads,queued 10mins max at 1st and 2nd feedstops and mrs and kids brought the cake out at glynneath.
    Sooooooo much better organised than 2010.
    Litter bugs are dicks.
    Well done to all and the organisers from me.

i came 1739th :D
    now sharing my plods on
    http://www.strava.com/athletes/cwm
  • pantsani
    pantsani Posts: 114
    Agree with all the above , one of the best organised sportives I've done.

Got round in 8:00:59 after feeling sick prior and all way round the event - but even with that really appreciated how well run the event was. I had about 5-10 mins queuing in the car to get into the event ( which I expected due to number of riders ) and that was it , the rest was pretty much faultless. Will try and do again next year, hopefully not wanting to hurl all the way round.
  • benno68
    Good going pantsani!

BTW folks, what was your number (any decent photo's of you), I was 0832 - I'm looking a bit smug crossing the finish line, it wasn't deliberate, my two mates look a bit wasted!

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    I did the long route and it was much better than 2010. The only bad thing was the amount of gel wrappers thrown on the road, how hard is it to put them in your jersey? Must be good thinking your a pro for a day

Glad someone said this as I was cycling up the black mountains yesterday and in no way taking part in the dragon ride.
    I was disgusted with the energy gel wrappers that had just been tossed onto the road, worse still a few people had actually thrown banana skins into the middle of the road on a descent (this isnt mario karts!)

Maybe its just me but when I finish with my bars I keep the rubbish in my jersey pockets until I get home or find a bin.

Im not having an old man moan as im only 23, but for god sake show some respect for the area.

Rant over! :P

Very true. The litter was pretty appalling, although i have to say to whoever had tossed the empty Carling cans into the ditch on Bryn Melyn, Chapeau! Climbing that horror on a couple of bevies is pretty hardcore.
  • llen
    llen Posts: 65
    First dragon ride completed on Sunday - Gran Fondo, absolutely brutal.

On a sligthly different but related topic, my legs are now covered in small red spots from about my knees down. They are also pretty itchy. Spoke to a friend who also did it and he is suffering with the same thing.

WHAT THE HELL IS IT????? :?
  • leejdavies
    leejdavies Posts: 217
    I also saw alot of litter over the road. Shame really. I did however see alot of them were still sealed – maybe dropped whilst struggling to carry on :lol:

Even saw a tube in the middle of the road :shock:

On that note, there were alot of puncture casualties, thankfully not me I think I'd have just cried if, like my wife, I got a puncture just before the Bwlch. I saw a guy who punctured on the slip road out of Margam Park. Great way to start. Couldn't but smile.
    Up: Wilier Mortirolo
    Down: Orange Patriot
  • dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    llen wrote:

On a sligthly different but related topic, my legs are now covered in small red spots from about my knees down. They are also pretty itchy. Spoke to a friend who also did it and he is suffering with the same thing.

Midge bites. I got the same. Should clear in a few days.
  • benno68
    llen wrote:

I got a couple of bites too. If you were stopped (which I was quite a bit), the little buggers descend and attack in big numbers - it must have been a field day for them!

Well done on completing the challenge Llen!

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Had a laugh halfway up the Devil's Elbow just before the first turn.

Grovelling up, just in front of a rider from Dublin Wheelers, heard a mobile phone ring, then a strong Irish accent:

"Yeah. Can't talk now, I'm cycling up the steepest fecking hill in the world. Bye"

Wouldn't have been any point me answering it, at that point I was incapable of speech.
  • alex1rob
    proto wrote:
    Had a laugh halfway up the Devil's Elbow just before the first turn.

Grovelling up, just in front of a rider from Dublin Wheelers, heard a mobile phone ring, then a strong Irish accent:

"Yeah. Can't talk now, I'm cycling up the steepest fecking hill in the world. Bye"

Wouldn't have been any point me answering it, at that point I was incapable of speech.

Haha brilliant. I had a similar experience, I was struggling up one of the many hills and I hear this chap talking on his phone, the next second he is streaming past me uphill while talking in complete sentences on his phone!! Talk about rubbing it in my face! He was a really nice guy who I rode with on the descent for quite a while and he was a great wheel to follow. Turned out he was an ex 'Elite' racer, so I don't feel so bad now.

Also. Llen my legs are covered in itchy bites, they are horrible! I can't believe I didn't notice a single one at the time, must have had other things on my mind like the ton of climbing still to come.
  • sampras38
    Benno68 wrote:
    sampras38 wrote:
    Benno68 wrote:
    sampras38 wrote:

Let's hope so.

Nice bikes.

Yes I like Cube bikes, great value for money although your's is much better than mine, the DA grouppo and SL frameset goes much quicker than Ultegra and the basic GTC frame so I've been told :wink:

Just looked at our (group) ride on Strava:

Moving Time 09:01:41
    Elapsed Time 10:38:05

Nearly 1hr40 stationary WTF :lol: No wonder I was feeling pretty good at the end!

I've upgraded everything on my GTC SL and the only thing left that came with it as standard is the seat post.
  • pantsani
    pantsani Posts: 114
    Benno68 wrote:
    Good going pantsani!

BTW folks, what was your number (any decent photo's of you), I was 0832 - I'm looking a bit smug crossing the finish line, it wasn't deliberate, my two mates look a bit wasted!

Cheers Benno, I'm number 1160 , I'm easy to spot , rapha top, exteondo shorts and Look like I'm about to gag any and every second :-) seriously was not nice

Might have spoken to a few of you out there , chatted to some nice people along the way
  • DADOFFIVE
    Thank God it's not just me with the midge bites! The Cray reservoir feed station was a nightmare from the moment I got off my bike .. my legs look like I've got the 'pox!