Dragon Ride 2012 "post match analysis"

deano79543
deano79543 Posts: 31
I'd like to start this post by saying what a fantastic job the new organisers of this years Dragon Ride did. They're organisation both prior to the event and on the day were spot on.

Parking was well set out.
Ample toilet facilities.
No waiting for hours at the start line
"on the course" assistance was first class

and last but not least the actual riding course. I can only speak for the Gran Fondo route. In one word BRUTAL! But now the suffering is over I loved it. It was a real test of both physical and mental determination. In the past few years the course keeps getting changed (not always for the better aka 2011), i'm already looking forward to (hopefully) riding this course again next year.

Marks for Dragon Ride 2012 = A+

Comments

• I have to say after doing the 2011 Dragon I was expecting similar issues to last year i.e poor toilet facilities, poort start etc. However, I have to agree with you that this years was brilliant. I started about 7:50 and was probably waiting for less than 2 minutes to get started. The parking and toilets we're plentiful, and the course was much more challenging and scenic than last years.

Certainly a massive step in the right direction........ and I got a free can of WD40! awesome :D
  • Krys
    Krys Posts: 51
    Last year's event was, as we all know, horrendous. This year's was way better. I think how much better depends on what time you arrived - took us 40 minutes to get off the motorway and in, and there were queues for the toilets and at the first food stop. But...it was WAY better overall - more scenic, great climbs, etc - and even though I "just" did the Medio route, I had a great ride :)

Blog is here: http://www.thecyclingmayor.com/wiggle-dragon-ride-2012 if you fancy a read.
  • dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    Have to agree. Top effort from the organisers. I had done very little training this year - longest ride so far only 70 miles - so was concerned about the "200km" tag, although previous years rides had only come in at 108 miles or so. Anyway, loaded up with enough gels to get me round, and still feeling fresh at the split, I took the long route.
    What can I say about that first descent off Black Mountain? Wow! Swooping bends that you could see round for hundreds of yards, no traffic and a good surface made for some of the best fun i've had on a road bike. Then the climb to Cray, that morale-crushing 20% horror Bryn Meln, the Climb with No Name and finally a reverse ascent of Rhigos and Bwlch. After last year's pointless second climb up Bwlch this year's route using the best the area has to offer was just great. Big ring downhill all the way from the top of Bwlch to Margam in a fast group, and a final "5km to go" teaser from the organisers taking us along the whole perimeter wall of the park! 130 miles all told and a long day in the saddle but the best Dragon ever. UCI gold status well deserved.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Bryn Melyn is just awesome isn't it? Heart crushingly, breath takingly awesome. Just horrible, hard and brutal. But worth it. To not get off on that and to get to the top is great. If I'm being honest the thought of it coming (never having done it before) mentally crushed me before I got there (I'd also had cramp since mile 60). But I wouldn't have missed it for the world, already planning another outing there to give it another go, total fun.

The event itself was great. Superbly stocked feed stations, great finish, good pasta at the end. Tidy goody bag as well, though I wish I'd seen the offer of the second Lezyne lever before leaving.

If I'm being picky I can only say that the Milton in the water is a little unpleasant.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • dodgerdog
    dodgerdog Posts: 292
    My first go at the Dragon (did the Gran Fondo) and thoroughly enjoyed it! Climbs were ceaseless in the way they came in waves but the descents made up for it with fast swooping lines and little traffic. Views or at least those I grabbed between wondering how long to the next summit were stunning, especially from the Summit of the Black Mountain.

Devil's Elbow was a stern challenge but was surprised by the number of folks walking it.

I think I must have been in the same group as Bombo6 for the final run in, a fantastic way to finish running down into Margam village in a group of 15+ riders, a couple of Dulwich guys setting the pace early at about 37Kph and keeping it up all the way into Margam and then through to the Motorway junction. [I was the one in the Army Cycle Union strip.]

Organisation was excellent although I agree with Kyrs' observations about the queues off Jcn 38. I think this was caused by two things, folks panicking and parking oin the first slots available (down by the entrance) causing traffic to slow up as they pulled off the drive and then the consequential effect of traffic being slowed by the number of cyclists then riding up to the Event Village. The one takeaway point for the organisers would be to put an event map on the website as it would let folks understand that there was about a Km from bottom parking area to the Start and henc ereduce the number of folks parking down there early (I was one :oops: )

Overall I would certainly do it again and was thankful that I had switched to a compact, also that I was carrying powerlocks as snapped my chain :twisted: after about 30km which resulted in a few choice phrases :lol:

The text timing service was great as had my confirmed time before I had even left margam [9:02:55] which chuffed me since my target was sub 10 hrs. Had it not been for the chain or needing to have a brief stop for food and liquid going up Rhigos I would have dipped unde the 9hr mark for certain :shock:

Top marks 8) :D for the organisers and the general level of support on the road as well as the number of communities early on where folks were out applauding, a real refreshing change from a lot of Sportives where the locals seem to take pleasure in screwing with the signage. :!:
    Allez Triple (hairy with mudguards) - FCN 4
    Ribble Gran Fondo
  • bartolli
    bartolli Posts: 57
    I did the Dragon Yesterday, and thought the organisation was perfect apart from one issue!

When the course hit the first split, where you doubled-back right on yourself to continue on the Grand/Medio fondo routes, and left to do the Corto, we were lead stray (me and some other guy, Mark) as we were told the long route was left by one of the motorbike riders.

I did think it was strange that no-one else in our close vicinity turned that way, but when the guys on the motorbike pulled alongside us and said 'Are you doing the Long route?' and we said 'Yes', he said 'OK' and we felt vindicated, after all there were still signs for us to follow.

When I saw the signs for Margam park, I thought something had gone wrong, but had no choice to continue and try and speak to the organizers.

Anyway, when we got there we were told the best thing to do is retrace our steps as fast as we can and try and get back to the split, following signs backwards is hard! So we were a bit put off, but then we spoke to a lady (sorry didn't get her name - but thanks!) who really helped us out. She got Nick Rusling (Chief Exec of one of the companies that organizes the event) to chuck our bikes in the back of a van, give us some food and water and get us back to the split where we were directed the wrong way. So we got back (and there still seemed to be some confusion around this) and were on our way. Nick was a top bloke and really went out of his way to get us back on track so he deserves praise!

Bit of an ego boost at this point as we were now at the sort of back end of the riders, so overtook loads of people (but on the down side, found it hard to find a group to ride with as my mate had split as he was doing the medio).

I found the feed stops good, signage VERY good from this point, especially when I saw the ACTUAL Medio/Grand Fondo split.

Medio route was challenging it itself, especially as I racked up 92 miles in the end after my detour so the Grand Fondo must've been killer.

Only other problem was my freehub breaking on descent of the Rhigos, resulting in a deafening and very scary wail from the rear wheel when free-wheeling. So from the descent of the Rhigos to the end I had to keep peddling!

Overall, a great day, great organisation and great route, just spoiled slightly by a rogue motorbike rider, but could've been a whole lot worse!

Definitely going back next year, I have unfinished business with the Grand Fondo.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Krys wrote:
    Last year's event was, as we all know, horrendous. This year's was way better. I think how much better depends on what time you arrived - took us 40 minutes to get off the motorway and in, and there were queues for the toilets and at the first food stop. But...it was WAY better overall - more scenic, great climbs, etc - and even though I "just" did the Medio route, I had a great ride :)

Blog is here: http://www.thecyclingmayor.com/wiggle-dragon-ride-2012 if you fancy a read.

Really good entertaining write up - even more impressed with "So, time for the first of the big hills, the Rhigos. I figured the time had come to admit I was a little too warm, and I stashed my arms in the saddle bag,"

theres riding with no hands....and then there's riding NO HANDED - chapeau. :D
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • oli2001
    oli2001 Posts: 350
    first time for me too. Did the medio. Really impressed with the route and the final 'downhill all the way finale' was a great morale booster. Very well organised and very pleased with a great days riding, even the weather worked out too. Did it in 5hrs 10 which is on the right side of pain/torture for me. Anything over 6 hours and i dont want to look at the bike for a week or so, but i'll be out again as soon as.
  • john46
    john46 Posts: 9
    Did the Grand Fondo route and found it pretty challenging but enjoyable. Thought the route itself and the
    overall organisation was excellent a big improvement on last year.

Had a really bad spell between the 2nd and 3rd feed stations but recovered to finish the ride. Seemed further
    than expected my cycle computer was showing over 132 miles at the end.
  • bendertherobot
    john46 wrote:
    Did the Grand Fondo route and found it pretty challenging but enjoyable. Thought the route itself and the
    overall organisation was excellent a big improvement on last year.

Had a really bad spell between the 2nd and 3rd feed stations but recovered to finish the ride. Seemed further
    than expected my cycle computer was showing over 132 miles at the end.

You and me both. I ate far too little yesterday. What was interesting is that our little group cut out "dawdling at feedstations" times down by half on last year so I found it much harder. The first ascent after Crai almost finished me off.
  • mudshark
    mudshark Posts: 30
    I did the Grand Fondo too and didn't stop at either of the 1st two feed stations thinking I had enough food with me - I didn't and struggled to the 3rd after which I felt a bit better but some damage had been done and I still struggled up the Bwlch but I got back ok. My time of 9 hrs 10 seems to put me in the 1st half of finisher so not disappointed.

A lot harder than last year and pretty much no waiting for my start unlike the 90 mins I had last time. Parking does seem to have caused a delay for many though and that 1st car park shouldn't have been used as mentioned above - just as an overflow perhaps. I parked there but only because I thought I was meant to.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Great day yesterday, Devils elbow and up,up,up :shock: Excellent, didn't walk and started pinging with cramp. I reckon I could have shaved 45 mins off for queues at feed stops, but all in all excellent event. Loved the descents, my new F4 was a joy to ride but my butt feels like its been to Barrymores for a party. Chuffed because no one passed me on the Bryn, Devils elbow, Rhigos or Blywch climbs, I just tapped out and passed loads, very good for my morale, but I could have cried when it said 5k to go as I had been clanging in with a group of very fast lads all the way down Blywch and through port Talbot.

Back next year, Mrs Dmclite is gonna do the support wagon for me and cur down wait times on feedstops as I saw quite a lot of that going on.
  • nunowoolmez
    nunowoolmez Posts: 865
    My first time doing the Dragon & was really impressed with all aspects. Shame about the long queue from the junction exit into the park but i'm sure this can be looked at for next year. Like the idea of having registering done pre event so this removes any waiting around at the start - just turn up & ride. I must have only waited a minute in the pens before being allowed to go. The ride itself (did the grand fondo) was immense. Long climbs where you just found a rhythm & sime very tough slogs (what was that long 20%+ climb?) which required a big effort. Brutal. Scenery was incredible & thankfully the weather was near perefect, not too hot or cold & NO RAIN! Best of all though were the fantastic long winding descents. The best ones being the descent from Black Mountain & The Bwilch. Hardly needed to use the brakes & maxed out at 43 mph. Pure joy!! Feed stations were excellent & particuarly enjoyed the salted potatoes - a great idea & much appreciated! Managed to get my clithing & nutrition right which helped as i have got these wrong on numerous occasions. Coming off the Bwilch descent a group of us formed up a great little chain gang for the last 20 odd miles & we put in a massive effort cranking it up to 25mph for most of it. Well done all involved - we got a proper lick on & i think we all enjoyed that!! All in all, a great ride & well organised. On a par with the Fred Whitton for me. See you next year i hope!!
  • leejdavies
    leejdavies Posts: 217
    Seems we all had a similar experience. First time doing it. I did the Gran Fondo. I both enjoyed and loathed it in equal measure.

I think I did a bit too much pace setting in the first 70 and paid for it, along with (I think) eating too many bananas, on the long drag up towards the main Rhigos climb. Thankful that the last 20 miles are almost all descending to Port Talbot.

I had done the devils elbow, Rhigos and Bwlch before but the killer was the 'short' sharp climb before the D/E after the second feed station. What a B*****D. The descent off the black mountain and the Bwlch were superb. Managed just over 51mph at some point (probably the Bwlch).

Have to say well organised after what I read was a bit of a debacle last year. Great route but right now the thought of doing it again makes me die inside ever so slightly. Although after finishing 5mins off my 7:30 target (I blame the 5 or so 'bonus' miles). I guess I have some unfinished business with the Dragon Ride.
    Up: Wilier Mortirolo
    Down: Orange Patriot
  • alex1rob
    alex1rob Posts: 95
    Good day, good ride, good scenery, good route, good food, good people and a good challenge.
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Great day yesterday, Devils elbow and up,up,up :shock: Excellent, didn't walk and started pinging with cramp. I reckon I could have shaved 45 mins off for queues at feed stops, but all in all excellent event. Loved the descents, my new F4 was a joy to ride but my butt feels like its been to Barrymores for a party. Chuffed because no one passed me on the Bryn, Devils elbow, Rhigos or Blywch climbs, I just tapped out and passed loads, very good for my morale, but I could have cried when it said 5k to go as I had been clanging in with a group of very fast lads all the way down Blywch and through port Talbot.

Back next year, Mrs Dmclite is gonna do the support wagon for me and cur down wait times on feedstops as I saw quite a lot of that going on.

What time did you get in dmclite-2.0?

I saw the 5k sign and looked at the guy beside me, we both said "WTF" at the same time.

I thought it was a great route, a real challenge and a much improved event than previous. I can't offer any advice on how, but would like to see the feedstops have a quicker turnaround, I couldn't fault the people manning them who were great!

My time was bad, over 10.5 hours, we rode as a group and finished as a group stopping to regroup at the top of hills etc. I kept seeing the same faces passing while we were waiting.

I would have been happy with 9 hours but hey ho, 3 years ago I wouldn't have got up the first climb.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • B1ghubba
    B1ghubba Posts: 61
    I had a great time.
    Here's the profile of medio fondo from Garmin 800 into Golden Cheetah
    332azio.jpg
  • I did the long route and it was much better than 2010. The only bad thing was the amount of gel wrappers thrown on the road, how hard is it to put them in your jersey? Must be good thinking your a pro for a day
  • nunowoolmez
    nunowoolmez Posts: 865
    yeah i agree with above comment. it's just careless littering of a place we have enjoyed the privelege of riding in, yet some decide to litter the roads & fauna with gel & bar wrappers. I just put my unused ones down the front of my gilet between the gilet & jersey, so they won't drop & won't irritate my skin. It's not as if they weigh much when empty. Just chuck em in a bin at the food stop. Simple.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Benno68 wrote:

What time did you get in dmclite-2.0?

I saw the 5k sign and looked at the guy beside me, we both said "WTF" at the same time.

One guy in the group was in blue and white London club kit and a guy all in black on a Felt F1 with deep sections on, brave /daft riders with deep sections yesterday, I slung on my Mavics and was well pleased.
    I thought it was a great route, a real challenge and a much improved event than previous. I can't offer any advice on how, but would like to see the feedstops have a quicker turnaround, I couldn't fault the people manning them who were great!

My time was bad, over 10.5 hours, we rode as a group and finished as a group stopping to regroup at the top of hills etc. I kept seeing the same faces passing while we were waiting.

I would have been happy with 9 hours but hey ho, 3 years ago I wouldn't have got up the first climb.

I got over the finish line at 17:40pm with an overall time of 9 Hrs 12 mins for the whole ride
    Also gutted as my garmin ran out of juice at 100 miles, gonna get a little cateye now, think my battery for the garmin cant hold more than 6 hours juice now.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Did you visit the guy at the third feedstop manning a bowl of salty new potatoes? Immense. My stomach was pretty tired of Haribo, banana malt loaf and energy drink by then. As I munched through a dozen potatoes or so the chap pointed to the masts at the top of the Bwlch, indicating our next big climb. :shock:

9.04 for me on my first Gran Fondo, very pleased with that. Quite amusing pulling up at Burger King in Cardiff, a mixture of Sunday evening commuters and folks who could barely walk up the steps to the restaurant.
  • My first Grand Fondo this year.

Agree with comments on organisation - much better (according to my two companions who did last year's). We made a point of arriving early - hotel in Cardiff and then arrived at about 0640 with no queues at all. However I've noted the experiences of those who arrived later. A very good suggestion to post a site map so people won't park up early and slow down entry to the site for others.

Having posted here a few months ago for advice on training, I took the advice on pacing and was very pleased with my time of 8:47 and not feeling wasted. I found the 'big' climbs to be not half as bad as I'd anticipated - just long but not too bad a gradient; a case of "breathe and pedal" and (for me at least) pacing myself - remembering the miles to go!

Devil's elbow was pretty hard - most parts of my body saying "Get off the ******* bike", but stuck in there and made it up without stopping. I've heard of some complaining it was too hard and shouldn't have been in the route. My reaction? Man up and get on with it!

For me - arriving early and starting at 0739 - there were no problems with queues at feed stations.

Only one major observation/complaint - the infamous junction/traffic lights at the foot of the fast left hand downhill bend (20 miles in ?). This was lethal - better signage was needed here. I nearly piled into the queue of cyclists who were waiting for the lights while watching the ambulance attending a previous casualty.The problem is, how many of us really take notice of the 'slow down' and 'caution' signs? Perhaps they need a 'no, really slow down, we actually do know better than you' sign!

The reward was, of course, the descents - awesome! Worth all the effort - and worth coming back for next year! :D
  • bendertherobot
    Whatever the route next year they need to retain the Devil's Elbow. It's so crushing but so rewarding. Already planning a ride out with a mate later in the Summer to do it again. May stick SRAM WiFli on mind.
  • craker wrote:
    Did you visit the guy at the third feedstop manning a bowl of salty new potatoes? Immense. My stomach was pretty tired of Haribo, banana malt loaf and energy drink by then. As I munched through a dozen potatoes or so the chap pointed to the masts at the top of the Bwlch, indicating our next big climb. :shock:

9.04 for me on my first Gran Fondo, very pleased with that. Quite amusing pulling up at Burger King in Cardiff, a mixture of Sunday evening commuters and folks who could barely walk up the steps to the restaurant.

Yes, the new spuds were a very welcome change from the usual fare. Certainly lined the stomach with some 'real' food as well as the high energy stuff we'd been gulping regularly.

As an aside - must remember to pack toothbrush somewhere accessible for the end of the ride (in the car, that is - not my shirt pocket!). I've found I really need to get rid of the sugar coating on my teeth!
  • I did the long route and it was much better than 2010. The only bad thing was the amount of gel wrappers thrown on the road, how hard is it to put them in your jersey? Must be good thinking your a pro for a day

Glad someone said this as I was cycling up the black mountains yesterday and in no way taking part in the dragon ride.
    I was disgusted with the energy gel wrappers that had just been tossed onto the road, worse still a few people had actually thrown banana skins into the middle of the road on a descent (this isnt mario karts!)

Maybe its just me but when I finish with my bars I keep the rubbish in my jersey pockets until I get home or find a bin.

Im not having an old man moan as im only 23, but for god sake show some respect for the area.

On another note, some of the riding I saw while descending down to Llangadog was terrible, people overtaking on the wrong side of the road on blind corners, you do know the roads arent closed?

Rant over! :P
    10 mile TT pb - 20:56 R10/17
    25 - 53:07 R25/7
    Now using strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/155152
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    Another first timer here. Really enjoyed the day, fantastic scenery. The organisation seemed excellent, my only complaint would be the queues at the first two feed stations. We set off at 8.45 so may have caught the worst of that.

Reading the posts above it sounds like they vary the route each year. I hope they stick with this one as I'd love to have another go at it. I did 8hrs 8mins for the Granfondo which I reckon I could improve on now I know the hills. Shame the battery expired on my iPhone because now I don't have all the data to upload to Strava and stare at for hours.
  • ck99
    ck99 Posts: 44
    My first Dragon and loved it. Did the Gran Fondo in just under 10 hours, but as my previous PB ride was 104 miles with 2400 metres of climbing - then really pleased. The only down sides were the Qs on the M4 as my 20 minute trip in took 75 minutes and those midges that appeared out of woods on the 3rd and final feed station ! Aaghh!!. Top day out.
  • Crispyapp
    Crispyapp Posts: 344
    First time riding the Dragon and overall I really enjoyed the ride. However, a few niggles that got my goat. The feed stations i thought in comparison to Other sportives I've done we're very poor. I didn't think the choice of replenishments were great and could of been far better. The ques at each feed were awful, and there was a lot of waiting around for no apparent reason. There should of been more than 3 feeds or at least more places to re fill water at least. I carried my own food and hardly ate anything from the feeds but like everyone I need water and really struggled between the first and 2nd feed. Gran fondo route.... The first 30 mile I thought was a waste of time, riding through the town centre and traffic lights put me off and didn't think it was a good choice by organisers at all, not only was it a problem for us riding the event but also the traffic going about there daily drives.....

Rant over. Here are my good points. as soon as we got out into the countryside I thought the climbs were brilliant, a very good choice of alpine style climbs and descents which were good enough for anyone. The out board riders were brilliant, stopping cars here and there, making sure we were all safe nd ok. I saw plenty of punctures and the bikers were always there helping out. Brilliant job top marks indeed. I loved the surprise of the goody bag, a really nice touch. I have to say I wasn't expecting anything at all so a really nice surprise.

What would I change..... Well I have to admit I'm not from the area and don't know the roads but a better start is a must. Cut out as much of the main roads as poss. Especially riding through housing estates and busy junctions and town centres.... Improve the water situation, if you can hire stand pipes for fluids why not place them between feeds so people can take on more fluids if needed. I heard a lot complaining about this. If the weather had been like 2 weeks ago there would of been serious problems from dehydration.

Overall ...... A good ride but could be amazing. Loved the climbs and descents but hated the main roads. Needs either another feed or extra stops to refill water.

Well done to everyone who completed it.
    Look 595 ultra - F+F for sale.....
    Cervelo r5
    Kinesis T2 2013 winter bike
    Merida Carbon 1500 flx MTB
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Whatever the route next year they need to retain the Devil's Elbow. It's so crushing but so rewarding. Already planning a ride out with a mate later in the Summer to do it again. May stick SRAM WiFli on mind.

A memorable place to park is at the layby on the A470 at Storey Arms. A loop including the Devils Elbow works out at around 25 miles, may aswell do 2 or 3 loops to get the miles in :wink:

Well done on a decent time!

On another note, I too was disapointed at seeing discarded wrappers on the road, littering is a real bug bear of mine and won't do us any favours with Joe Public.

I must remember not to put used gel wrappers in with my mobile phone!

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Crispyapp wrote:
    There should have been more than 3 feeds or at least more places to re fill water at least [....] The first 30 mile I thought was a waste of time

Not in agreement with you here CrispyApp; you saw the queues coming off the motorway? Now move those queues into the valleys and find somewhere to park 2000 cars or so and the locals are going to be properly aggrieved. I thought the atmosphere through suburban Neath and co. was great btw.

I didn't have any particular issues with feed stops - I skipped the first (it was rammed but I wonder if the queues were moving quickly) got water only at the 2nd (added my own supplements) and filled me boots with new potatoes at the third... and there was an ice cream van near the top of Rhigos. Granted it may be harder on a hot day but ~35 miles between feeds seems OK?