Tomorrow

2»

Comments

• okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    notsoblue wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    Still, man up and ride is, as ever, the only way.
    Always better than the public transport alternative!

You say that, but it isn't. I get a seat on every train I go on, and its great, quicker than the bike too. The cost is what puts me off it.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    okgo wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    bompington wrote:
    Still, man up and ride is, as ever, the only way.
    Always better than the public transport alternative!

You say that, but it isn't. I get a seat on every train I go on, and its great, quicker than the bike too. The cost is what puts me off it.

Not for me. It actually takes longer for me to get to work using PT than it does by bike, including changing/showering time. PT isn't awful, but I'd rather be on the bike than be sat on a train/tube/bus or waiting for one.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    okgo wrote:

Quite.

And the guilt.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Not fussed on that, but I suppose if you're only riding is the commute, then yeh. But people make the train sound a lot worse than it often is.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    Endura Road Overshoes... snug & dry.. bring it on!

Will you buy a new pair for the ride home....(they are designed to be disposible - aren't they?) :wink:
    Well pair 1 are still going strong, but the velcro at the top has lost its stickyness after 18months, but a pair of heavy rubber bands serves well :). Pair 2 are only a month old and are fine... they've changed the design slightly in that the wrap-round band is now preformed so it tries to stay closed rather than pulling away from the velcro.

I guess you had a problem with some? These are the heavy neoprene ones, not the lightweight rubbish 'City' ones....
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    Endura Helium waterproof top

How do you rate the helium? I'm looking for a summer waterproof jacket as my current one is a bit boil in the bag.
    So far so good. Lightweight and packs down easily into jersey pocket but seems pretty waterproof in heavy stuff. Fairly expensive at £89 (its all relative I suppose). Still not as breathable as I'd like but better than anything else I've tried other than maybe the new Gore fabric (but that was £209 :o ). Don't confuse with the Mavic Helium jacket - thats a different beast entirely.

There seems to be two versions of this... the Endura Helium (released 2009) and the Endura Helium Equipe (2012) which is their 'racing' line. Pricing seems to be the same and the only difference I can find is that mine was the Equipe and comes with a little bag to store it in (mentioned in the review and in the spec sheet) whereas the other one doesn't have any mention the bag in reviews or in the spec sheet.
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • Applespider
    Applespider Posts: 506
    Pulled the winter Lakes LX40s out this morning again and feet stayed dry! They were the best £54 I spent on bike stuff despite looking a tad 'special' :D

But do need a better jacket - mine is passable but still end up with dampish bits if it's a proper downpour.

The most amusing thing this morning coming through Dulwich Park was the enormous puddle at the main gate - 6-8 inches deep and just had to smile going through it and keep fingers crossed since there are cobbles at the bottom of it . :shock:
  • Got in the office this morning and wondered where the smell of damp dog was coming from....turned out to be me. Shower before breakfast today!

Def time for a new jacket. The cheap Ronhill yellow thing is starting to let in a fair bit, as are the b-twin overshoes, time to upgrade.
    AKA Captain Blackbeard
    Going Top to Bottom - E2E for Everyman and Headway - Spet 2013
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Got up this morning to welcome - and not forecast - sunshine! Been feeling out of sorts this week so made a rare decision - pootle to work time, inasmuch as I can pootle up 210m ascents. What an enjoyable ride!
    Hope you southlanders had a similarly pleasant morning... :evil:
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    FWIW the DHB eVent stuff is brilliant. Cheap, breathable and (so far, over a year in) completely waterproof.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    'forced' to use the Madone today as the Tricross woke up with a flat back tyre. Forecast is meant to be dry with sunny spells.

No one mentioned the headwind coming in, so here's hoping for a dry wind assisted ride home.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    so here's hoping for a dry wind assisted ride home.

...a triumph of hope over experience... :wink::D
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165

indeed the gorge my folks live in, seems to be able to manage to be a headwind in both directions.
  • Kieran_Burns

indeed the gorge my folks live in, seems to be able to manage to be a headwind in both directions.

There actually appears to be NO wind whatsoever at the moment. I really hope it's not the eye of the storm....
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337

There actually appears to be NO wind whatsoever at the moment. I really hope it's not the eye of the storm....

.....a triumph of hope........
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Kieran_Burns

shush.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973

Fingers crossed, as I've my annual commute to the city in the morning.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    No rain near me tomorrow. I have to drive my Dad's car in to get it MOTd.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165

shush.

ha!
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    gbsahne wrote:

Fingers crossed, as I've my annual commute to the city in the morning.

That was fun yesterday, perfect weather for it as well

24pcw2a.jpg