Is an apology needed?

2»

Comments

• Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    Leeuw wrote:
    Ringo 68 wrote:
    There are over 16000 topics in the beginners section. It would be very quiet on here if you could only ask bike related questions that have never been asked before.

You could probably offer a prize for anyone who comes up with a completely new question :wink:

What wheel upgrade for my bike?.................................damn I have seen this one before.
    Sram or Shimano?.......................................nope, somebody must have asked this.
    Recommend me a first road bike for £1000.................................foiled again.

S**t, this is harder than I thought.
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • harrydaisy
    harrydaisy Posts: 131
    Thanks pretty much all of you have restored my faith that this forum is made up of decent people. Now I'm going away to try and think of that illusive question that has never been asked before :P
    Wilier Izoard XP "Petacchi"/ Campag Veloce/ Fulcrum Racing 5
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7/ Campag Xenon
  • sebbyp
    sebbyp Posts: 106
    blimey Im VERY new to the forum but maybe Ill do afew searches before anymore posting! hehe
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    Ringo 68 wrote:
    There are over 16000 topics in the beginners section. It would be very quiet on here if you could only ask bike related questions that have never been asked before.

I think it's more the questions or observations that get raised over and over though. There had been two other threads about shaving legs in the previous week that I was aware of and the not waving thing had probably gone the longest it had ever managed without being mentioned as I hadn't seen a topic on it for a couple of weeks. But as someone else said it's easy to just ignore the ones you are fed up wiyh.
  • wheezee
    wheezee Posts: 461
    harrydaisy wrote:
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    harrydaisy wrote:

I do think however that the mods should consider either giving this section a new title or those that use it should be aware that there are people like me who are gonna post stuff that has been done to death before :wink:

Grow up, internet forums have been around a long time

Are you for real? This thread was an olive branch to people like you, but in all honesty you don't deserve it. Do you know what an utter tool you look to other sensible people that are using this forum?

An cycling Internet forum is for people to express their views, I am expressing mine - why is that such a problem?

Is it possible that you are a little over-sensitive? Or hormonal even?
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    Leeuw wrote:
    Ringo 68 wrote:

You could probably offer a prize for anyone who comes up with a completely new question :wink:

Dear BikeRadar, please feel free to take this seriously :D

OP - I don't know what I've missed but don't take it personally. The internet is full of people who lack self esteem and need to bolster it by tearing apart anyone who asks a 'silly question' (as defined by the reader). Unfortunately I've noticed that recently this forum has started to respond that way more often than it used to.

Personally I generally think the best action is 'if you can't say something helpful. Don't say anything'. Mr Troll the attention starved teen disagrees though.
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    I wore a yellow jersey once.

Another cyclist got out his GAU-8/A and shot me.

Which I found was pretty rude.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • wheezee
    Again. Too sensitive by half.
  • Leeuw
    Leeuw Posts: 99
    Leeuw wrote:
    Ringo 68 wrote:

Dear BikeRadar, please feel free to take this seriously :D

OP - I don't know what I've missed but don't take it personally. The internet is full of people who lack self esteem and need to bolster it by tearing apart anyone who asks a 'silly question' (as defined by the reader). Unfortunately I've noticed that recently this forum has started to respond that way more often than it used to.

Personally I generally think the best action is 'if you can't say something helpful. Don't say anything'. Mr Troll the attention starved teen disagrees though.

Sorry, am I being accused of trolling here? Or am I mis-reading this post? Please tell me I'm mis-reading, especially considering my response a few replies earlier basically welcoming people and saying I'm more than happy to answer the same question time after time... I don't see anythinf offensive in my, or Ringo68's comments...
    But the "if you can't say something helpful" bit concerns me, as I thought I'd been helpful!
  • harrydaisy
    wheezee wrote:
    harrydaisy wrote:
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    harrydaisy wrote:

I do think however that the mods should consider either giving this section a new title or those that use it should be aware that there are people like me who are gonna post stuff that has been done to death before :wink:

Grow up, internet forums have been around a long time

Are you for real? This thread was an olive branch to people like you, but in all honesty you don't deserve it. Do you know what an utter tool you look to other sensible people that are using this forum?

An cycling Internet forum is for people to express their views, I am expressing mine - why is that such a problem?

Is it possible that you are a little over-sensitive? Or hormonal even?

No....don't think so.

I think it's a fair comment to suggest the renaming of this section of the forum, or to suggest that people like you and shut up legs are the over sensitive ones for getting the hump coz beginners to road cycling start threads that have been covered before. As someone else has rightly mentioned if that's the case then you ain't gonna see too many new posts!
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Being devils advocate I think that is the exact point. New Posts are very welcome, repeats of previous posts is what is being questioned.

An 'additional post' does not automatically make it a 'new post' if it is covering the same topic.

I have witnessed posts on the same topic or asking the same question literally 2 posts away from each other in the list, even if the search is not that helpful (and I do confess I gave up on it) at least look at the list of posts in front of you before duplicating it.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • harrydaisy
    smidsy wrote:
    Being devils advocate I think that is the exact point. New Posts are very welcome, repeats of previous posts is what is being questioned.

An 'additional post' does not automatically make it a 'new post' if it is covering the same topic.

I have witnessed posts on the same topic or asking the same question literally 2 posts away from each other in the list, even if the search is not that helpful (and I do confess I gave up on it) at least look at the list of posts in front of you before duplicating it.

Fair comment...

I can assure you neither of my questioned posts (waving and shaving ) were recent duplicates though
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    harrydaisy wrote:
    I can assure you neither of my questioned posts (waving and shaving ) were recent duplicates though
    I am on your side Harry....but the waving topic was covered really recently. The last post was on 27th May!

Your waving topic was started on 3rd June! Not that far apart...
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    harrydaisy wrote:
    smidsy wrote:

Fair comment...

That depends on what you mean by recent. Both those topics have been covered recently as far as I am concerned and with breathtaking and nauseating regularity before that. However, so what.

You are coming across as a bit of a whiner though. You should fit in well. Of course, if you don't like how certain individuals are on here then you can always go elsewhere. I doubt if anyone would care.
  • wheezee
    jim453 wrote:
    I doubt if anyone would care.

I care. Forums like this need all the thin-skinned attention-seeking tantrum-throwers they can get.
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    wheezee wrote:
    jim453 wrote:

I care. Forums like this need all the thin-skinned attention-seeking tantrum-throwers they can get.

You're probably right.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    wheezee wrote:
    jim453 wrote:

:lol:
  • Muffintop
    Muffintop Posts: 296
    IMHO...

As a relative new person I don't mind having similar thread topics occuring. There's a percieved ownership of forums which is usually typical of a pedantic forumee, (pedantic member sound rude - though possibly accurate).

To be fair when we post we are asking someone's opinion, I personally want that based on their experience, not that someone else said something and they followed it blindly. The best answer I can get is: I tried that and it did/didn't work' or 'I didn't bother with that, I did this quite specific thing instead and found it helped'. The 'You need to do x or an apocalyptic curse will befall all your cycling' does my nut in as it's not life experience but a thinly vailed attempt to make them seem important. Same as when someones being smart arsed - I know it's not a reflection on me it's a reflection on them, and they obviously need to take the wins they need where they find them, mostly in pedantry, sitting anonymously at their desks, in the dark, not out on their bikes. But then in a public forum you don't have control over who says what when you post and a sorting the 'chaff from the wheat' is required.

There is quite alot of folk on here just looking for a chance to s@ddle W@nk without annoying their prospective others, and pick up a few short cuts to make their cycling life easier. You get to know them when posting same as you get to know the idiots and the willfully unhelpfuls too.

Mx
    FCN: Brompton: 12, Tourer: 7, Racer: 4

http://www.60milestonod.blogspot.com
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    Blimey, this is one of the most polite open forums I come across, some are actually so brutal they make this forum look like a soft play area. (and a good thing too as it is relaxing to read and post here)

I am not sure how you survive on the internet if you need to open your heart to all and sundry on Road Beginners because of a couple of snippy comments on your threads. I think you might need to adjust your view of things a little or stop looking for attention if you are going to pi$$ and moan when you get it.

I can't say I have read any posters here who are particularly rude, a couple who may not suffer fools gladly, but beyond that nothing.